The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Bus Park
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AAZ Bluestar with flipped Audi box

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AAZ Bluestar with flipped Audi box
    Posted: 22 Apr 14 at 11:31
I bought the van last summer, I'll be honest, I knew nothing about T3's and rushed into buying it a bit but it's been good learning my way around it and sorting out the bodges (N/A 1.6 bodged in instead of the JX lump). 

Here's a few pics from when I bought it, it had been brought over from Poland by it's Polish owners. I sorted out the paperwork and got it's UK reg sorted quite quickly...

The DVLA sorted the reg in just 2 days but it was assigned a 1995 M reg as that's the date it was re-registered in Poland. I then sent off for a VW birth certificate to prove it's a 1990 and eventually got it's reg corrected to a G plate. Luckily managed to get it all sorted before the DVLA Local Offices shut otherwise it'd have been a nightmare. 

We then just enjoyed it and got as much use out of it as possible over Summer. We took it over the North Heaven Moors to Whitby (sloooooow up those hills!) and had a fish and chip supper in the back.  :lol:

Then after a stroll on the beach headed back into the moors and found a quiet spot to camp for the night:

Up to that point I had Dinitrol waxed the chassis, rebuilt the door locks as the shims were a bit worn (it needed a wiggle of the key to get in), new wipers and replaced the gear knob and gaiter....

Edited by GavB95 - 21 Oct 14 at 16:06
Bluestar T3 running AAZ/flipped box
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 14 at 11:47
It sailed through it's MOT in September and just needed the wheel bearings nipping up. It's had a service, new exhaust (old one dropped off before my new one arrived) and I've been replacing missing trims. I picked up a couple of camping bargains through the winter - a Sunncamp drive-away awning and a Just Kampers sun canopy. 

I carried on using it daily into winter but then I cooked the engine! The head gasket went and I had to be recovered on a flat back by the AA.

Considered my options and I decided to junk the old 1.6 and 4 speed box that are in there. The 1.6 wasn't original, was under powered and 2nd gear on the box needed a really steady change once the box was warm, I think the synchro's on it's way out.

I picked up an Audi 5 speed box with all the Ultimate Engineering adapter plates/linkage adapters etc. I then started looking for a suitable engine/donor car. I'd been looking at TDIs and was about to buy an Audi 80 1.9 TDI with 1Z engine but late one night spotted an early MK3 Golf TD local to me with the cable pump AAZ engine. It was a bit grotty round the edges but had only covered 87,000, with an elderly owner who averaged about 3,000 a year going by the MOT history. 

The thought was that it'd be a nice easy swap compared to TDI as there's no wiring to mess with on the early TD. The full car cost me £400.

It had got 4 months tax and test to run on it, so it became my daily over winter and I've made sure it's all in order before the swap. Smile

GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 14 at 14:37
So ran the Golf for the 4 months and it's tax ran out at the end of Feb, that gave me a bit of time to buy up some of the bits for the conversion (MPH speedo, front mount cooler, battery tray, flywheel and loads of bits from Brickwerks).

I've pulled the engine from the Golf, took off anything I thought would sell... it turns out nothing really sells for Mk3 Golfs, probably because they're a bit crap!

Recorded mileage at removal:

Engine tucked away in the shed...

Golfs final journey...

GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 14 at 15:44
Got a bit distracted after that, the Mrs was moaning about her car being too slow (Mk2 Polo breadvan) and so we started looking for a suitable replacement. I've always had VWs so fancied something different, ended up with a Pug 205 1.6 GTI...

That's a project too though, been off the road a couple of years so needs a thorough go over before I can put it in for an MOT. Wacko 

I cracked on with the van last week, laid some slabs down to make the jobs easier, removing the golfs engine on gravel was a pain in the arse. 

Engine coming out...

I pulled the engine with a 3rd strap on the r/h engine mount to keep it level but it slipped as it was lifting, became a twat to get out but I managed! Will get a ratchet strap on it for refitting.

Box coming out...

Found some rust in the rear corners

Cut that out and I'm now making up the plates to go back in.

Similar repairs are needed in the opposite corner, plus the battery tray is going back in at that side too.

I got an eye full of spatter off the grinder (couldn't find my googles) Angry so having a little break from the body work, went to A+E and have now got to go to the eye clinic for a procedure as the metal has embedded right on the edge of my pupil. Stings like hell and have been given a tube of vaseline type lube to put in my eye till they can get me in. I'm a cock! 

To keep things going I've wound back the MPH speedo to the correct mileage of the donor engine and fitted that...

Fitted...

And stuck the front mounted oil cooler on as I was tripping over the hoses in the shed.

Fitted...

The hoses have straight couplings onto the cooler so it was a tight squeeze to raise the spare back up. I fitted a longer securing bolt for now but need to order some 90 degree connectors to give a bit more clearance.

Need to concentrate on the engine now, all the bits are off the old block and the turbo's off the AAZ so I need to read up on re-indexing that. Going to bung the AAZ flywheel and box back on to set TDC and then do the cambelt. 

That's about up to date, so I'm getting there albeit slowly! 

jc_geddes View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc_geddes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 14 at 18:12
This kind of makes me miss my old bluestar.

I think most people drop the engine out of the bottom, you can do this as a complete unit with the Gbox at the same time dong it this way.  You will need to put the van on ramps or high axle stands to do this.

Tis looking good keep the updates coming.

youthy giblets View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youthy giblets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 14 at 20:49
Nice work. New engine looks like a clean old lump. ^ what he said regarding engine. Much easier with van on tall axle stands and just lower the engine down with a crane or on a jack with a piece of ply wood under the sump
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 14 at 21:25
Mcfuckingloving build threads Bruddah.

Good effort.
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

syncroandy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syncroandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 14 at 21:32
Nice looking van, don't ruin it with an Audi gearbox !
'90 252 EJ25
'90 246 AFN

Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 14 at 21:41
What Andy said!

Besides, the Audi box gearing isnt really necessary for an AAZ.

Just find a 3H and stick some taller tyres on.

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
fufflenarnia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 14 at 22:19
Cracking job.

The Audi boxes can be good, but, everything is a compromise, your ground clearance will drop as will the size of your wallet!

The hardest bit is getting the ratio is right. The problem is a van is heavier than the donor car (even worse if it is a camper, poptop or high top), so you end up with as petrol gearbox with the engine revs high, or a diesel not pulling in top. The really talented are swapping final drives from petrol to diesel boxes. Having said all that I may just be talking bollox!

A good 3h is probably the cheapest and best bet.

Having said that my awx (Passat pd 130) with a 6 speed box will be the dogs nads!

Edited by fufflenarnia - 22 Apr 14 at 22:20
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 14 at 00:50

as above i would go for a taller ratio T3 box rather than an audi one..
the AAZ You are fitting looks spot on and well worth fitting, a 3h or AAP   gearbox would be perfect.
 and keeping it as its ment to be "can" add more to the value of the van than moddifing it.

i think Tee3 has gone the next step on with a taller final drive in his box but still using a AAZ (If not yet replaced by a tdi..??)

im a big fan of the AAZ Engine. they are getting harder to find now (more so one like you got) but pull a t3 along quite well..
i have one complete and a spare to go into my crewcab when i get the time.

WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 14 at 10:53
Cheers lads, I'll refit the engine and box as 1 unit if I can get the van high enough on the axle stands. I thought it was too much of a struggle for it to be the 'right' way to do it.

I knew the Audi box would open a can of worms. I got it cheap(ish) before I got the AAZ donor. The old box's a 4 speed so I might as well try this box and see how it performs. I'd have to replace the linkage for the 5 so don't mind chopping this 4 spd linkage about to get the Audi box in. I've picked up a good 5 speed LHD stick just incase it is no good, that seems to be the hardest part to source for LHD 5 speed set up so I grabbed it when it came up. 

If the Audi box's crap on the AAZ it'll have to come out for a 5 speed box or if it's useable but not ideal I could run it for Summer and then get a TDi winter hack and go TDi/mTDi. Evil Smile

I did a few calculations to work out the ratios and they came out close to an AAP, just longer in 5th. The AAZ revs higher than TDi and went really well in the Golf so I'm hoping it'll be good in the T3 and have enough power to push past 75mph, gearing certainly shouldn't limit it. I've got a Rover boost pin and a £20 bargain intercooler to fit but I'll get it back in there in stock form first before mucking about too much.

Setrab VX220 intercooler...

My wallet has taken a hammering, but I've tried to buy stuff for reasonable money and get bargains where possible. So far I've managed to pick up an Audi TDI single mass flywheel (think it's a Darkside Developments kit) on ebay for £70, TDI starter for 99p off ebay and the oil cooler kit for £100 off club 80-90. It all adds up quickly though! 

I've got a length of 40mm box section to lower the engine mounting bars at the front. I think I'll just re-drill the 2 bottom holes 40mm higher on the bars for the rear panel mountings and loose the top centre bolt.

Need to work through and fit a lot of what I've got and not spend any more till pay day! Fingers crossed some idiot will buy some of the Mk3 Golf stuff that I've got on ebay! 

Off to the Eye clinic to get the crap out of my eye this afternoon. Ouch

GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 14 at 12:58
Cracking on with it today, re-indexed the turbo and bolted back up to check it all looks right. I don't have JX turbo to compare with but should be ok where I've positioned it.

Bent AAZ oil feed to new position too. It's not the neatest run but it's tucked behind block in bay so happy with that.

Cambelt's the next job on the list so started on that...

Made a stupid mistake. Tried to undo cam pulley with cam locked on end and sheared the end of the cam.

Annoyed with myself but it's all learning!

New Febi SB cams are listed in ebay that should work but a mate has a complete AAZ head so if that's good I'll use it, at least I know what not to do next time!

Carried in with the smaller jobs/degreasing etc and then called it a day so came in and made fresh gaskets for coolant flanges etc.

Edited by GavB95 - 26 Apr 14 at 22:04
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 14 at 22:10
Need to sort out the small oil line on side if turbo too, am I right to cut off banjos with a bit of excess and then rejoin with small bore rubber/silicone pipe?

Other thing that doesn't look easy is fitting the brickwerks AAZ pump arm. Need to look into that.
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 14 at 16:54
Originally posted by GavB95 GavB95 wrote:

Need to sort out the small oil line on side if turbo too, am I right to cut off banjos with a bit of excess and then rejoin with small bore rubber/silicone pipe?

Other thing that doesn't look easy is fitting the brickwerks AAZ pump arm. Need to look into that.
Oil line ? there are only two oil lines the feed in that you have and the return that went to the block
If the line you are talking about is about 3-4mm in diameter and goes from the compressor housing to the exhaust side of the turbo that`s a boost pipe and it operates the waste gate
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 14 at 20:42
That's the sucker, told you I know nowt about t3's! (Or turbos)

So is it okay to cut down the pipe to the banjos and remake the mid section from silicone/ vac hose?

light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 14 at 21:23
I would leave a fair bit of pipe  on the banjo coming from the hot side (exhaust side) just to keep the worst of the heat away from the silicone tube  
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 14 at 21:47
Good call, cheers!

Decided to replace camshaft so the engine's now waiting for that. Today I've my intermediate plate, fitted new pump arm and coolant flanges, made up plates for welding in the bay too.

Mk1 golf's playing up though so had to make time for sorting that.

Pump arm kit fitted

Start of intermediate plate, template taken off adapter plate. Will cut clearance for rear main oil seal once engine's timed up as it's all in reference position for now.

Aiming to do a few hours each night through the week and then have a good crack at getting it back together next weekend (bank holiday's a bonus).

fufflenarnia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 14 at 22:13
Looking good.
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 14 at 14:59
Been cracking on with the jobs, I picked up a complete AAZ head from a mate (cheers Geoff) and whipped the cam out of that for my engine. Also borrow a cam pulley locking tool but the pulley bolt was proper tight. I ended up locking the sprocket with a breaker bar through the pulley hole to the floor and another bar with a length of scaffolding pipe to give me enough leverage. Tried the bolt on the old scrap engine to see if that was the same and it came off nice and easy. I guess the one on the AAZ had been tightened up with an impact gun.

The engine's timed up, new belts, oil seal etc have been done. I left the Crank pulley bolt well alone, it's the splined type bolt and all looked in good order. Sump, pump, manifold etc all on and checked round everything with the torque wrench. So that's sorted and ready to go back in.

Then started looking at the gearbox which had been stashed in the back of the shed for the last 4 months or so. Took me a while to get my head around which holes in adapter correspond to the main bolt holes on the block but sussed it in the end. 

Notched out the opening for the starter motor and had to cut a bit of clearance for the starter bolt heads.
Then test fitted the box to the engine. All looks good. Just need to get a few extra bolts for the gearbox and starter. Guessing I'll need some new starter>battery wiring too as the starter now tucks behind the engine rather than sitting at the gearbox side. I'd hoped to fit the JX turbo support bracket but the starter sits where it would mount. 

Whilst rummaging about I found some Audi gauges that I pulled out of an Audi coupe at the scrapyard. So I've bought a cheap ebay gauge holder, made up some clamps from 10x2mm ali strip to hold them in the pod and will mount them over an opening on the panel below the radio if the gear selector clears them. Does anyone know what should be in the hole in that dash panel? 

Going to order some multicore to run the sender wires back to the engine bay. There's loads of cheap VDO style twin pole pressure senders on ebay too so that's a bonus.

Getting on with the welding now, made up the templates and now transferred to steel:

So if I pull my finger out and weld and paint the bay then it can all go back in. Cool

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>