The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AAZ With CS Sump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DokaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AAZ With CS Sump
    Posted: 21 Mar 14 at 17:10
Hi Can some one advise me on how much oil should be in my AAZ with a CS sump
About a week ago changed the oil added 4.5L and it came to the very bottom of the dipstick. I then added about 2l more to reach the mark. Took it for a small test drive and subsequently oil started leaking from the rocker cover and oil in the coolant.
Now I have a big dilemma should my engine haver 4.5L to the bottom of the stick or 6.5l to the high level mark on the dipstick??
Is the CS sump larger than the original AAZ and as a consequence needs more oil??

I contacted the company which carried out the conversion and the said the modified the dipstick on the clients instructions and were not knowledgeable about the subject at all, I have had a gas test and the head gasket is ok. So could overfilling the engine have caused both problems,
So I don't know which way to go
Any advise is appreciated
Thanks

DD
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 14 at 18:19
4.5 with an empty filter. its got way too much in.
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 14 at 00:08
Generall on an AAZ you Fill to the "low" mark on the dipstick. End of the dipstick becomes the "low" mark.

Oil in the coolant could be the oil cooler above the filter has failed.

Edited by Tee3 - 23 Mar 14 at 00:08

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
DokaDave View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DokaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 14 at 07:00
Thanks Guys.
I appreciate the help,
But I cannot understand why the dipstick has been recalibrated to 6.5L when the conversion was done. I can only think it was a mistake and it was not returned back to original once the mistake was realised.
So we can confirm that the CS sump and the AAZ sump have the same volume and as a result this does not alter the volume of oil required
4.5L with an oil filter change and
4L without the filter change.
I will have to drain the oil and re-engineer and calibrate the dipstick back to original.
In order for me to do this does anyone have what the low level quantity of oil is as it will save me draining the oil back from 4.5L.

I am going to remove the Oil Cooler this morning and test it. Following that I will flush the coolant to remove any residual oil and refill but that will be another tale as I need to trace a coolant leek too!!!!

DD
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 14 at 19:03
I lied

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/VehicleSpecific/T3/info/enginedata/dsl/AAZdata.htm

What dipstick have you got?

One into block or one into filler neck tube?

Is it deffo the right dipstick?

Pics?
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

DokaDave View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DokaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 14 at 15:24
Hi Elvis
Just got some photos as requested, The dip stick goes in to the block via the tube.
Please let me know iof there is enough info

Also do you know if oil can get into the coolant via a different path other than the oil cooler following my over fill?? I ask because I pressurised the Oil cooler to a 80PSI and no bubbles. Can they open and leak when the reach running Temp??

Thanks
DD

Edited by DokaDave - 24 Mar 14 at 15:27
cornish pasty View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornish pasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 14 at 20:26
Originally posted by Tee3 Tee3 wrote:

Generall on an AAZ you <span style="line-height: 1.4;">Fill to the "low" mark on the dipstick. End of the dipstick becomes the "low" mark.</span>

Oil in the coolant could be the oil cooler above the filter has failed.

Thanks Tee3,
This has been worrying me for a while. I put in 4.5 litres, ran it, checked dip-stick to find nothing, so topped it up to min mark. Then worried in case there was over-fill, someone said too much oil was worse than too little.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjPhopki9sQ&sns=fb
DokaDave View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DokaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 14 at 07:06
Thanks for the replies, But this does not fully resolve my problem,
Can anyone tell me from the photos if my dipstick as been modified and is it the original length at 675mm??

I will post an new thread regarding the Oil in the Coolant issue
DD

Edited by DokaDave - 25 Mar 14 at 07:06
bobby-gg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobby-gg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 14 at 12:41
This is my original uncut 1.6na dipstick

as now fitted to my 1.9TDi

hope this helps

Rob.

Edited by bobby-gg - 25 Mar 14 at 12:55
DokaDave View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DokaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 14 at 15:34
Rob/Et Al
Many Thanks for the photos that now resolves everything, So I have the original 1.6CS dipstick in my 1.9AAZ. This is uncalibrated to my motor which 4.5l is to the very tip of the dipstick. I will engineer a solution as soon as I can get round to it and find out the minimum volume for the low mark.
So one last question on the subject is: -
In order for me to set the minimum mark on the dipstick I need to empty the engine then fill, firstly to the minimum mark ???L then secondly to the maximum mark 4.5l But what volume of oil is the minimum mark?? Anyone
Thanks
DD
Dom777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 19 at 04:07
Hi
Did you resolve this issue?
I am a new owner which has aaz and I think CS sump. I'm getting lots of oil leaking. I'm thinking it's over filled with oil. This thread has (Hopefully) helped a lot.
Cheers
Dom
 Post Reply Post Reply