The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dashboard/Speedo Removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huwston80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dashboard/Speedo Removal
    Posted: 04 Mar 14 at 17:13
Hello

I have recently purchased a 1995 LT35 Horsebox, and have noticed the bulb for the speedo is not working, so have no idea how fast (or slow) i'm driving in the nights.

Is there anyone who can advise how to change the bulb. I can't see a way of getting the speedo glass out separately, and am unsure whether to attempt removing the dashboard without assistance :)

Many Thanks in advance.
Huw
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 14 at 17:47
Welcome HuwSton, 'We have a problem' 80

The short version is get a manual, all life is there, except diesel specific stuff.

Otherwise, there are four screws, one in each corner of the binnacle, which hold everything together.

You will need to remove the speedometer cable, from underneath the dash, and the plugs, switches etc, but other than taking a while, it is not a difficult job.

See you in the Brickies' Arms for a beer later then.Beer 

1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
huwston80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huwston80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 14 at 18:52
That's great, thank you. I did see that haynes manual but because it says only up to '87 I discounted it. I guess they didn't change much after that either lol.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 14 at 20:05
In the Tech section there are more manuals too.

1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 14 at 21:52
You can change all the illumination bulbs simply by reaching up from behind. The far left for the rev counter/clock (as you sit in the driver's seat) is tricky but possible, as I replaced all mine with LEDs some years ago. Speedo bulbs a piece of cake Smile

Warning light bulbs can be done by removing the demister vent.
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
huwston80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huwston80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 14 at 10:43
Thank you to everyone. I think i'll try the reach under the dash method first and go from there :).
Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 14 at 10:52
Ummm, Huwston, we have a problem...........why do you even need to know what speed you are going? It is an LT by the way.

My speedo has been broken for 2 years now and don't miss it, haha

94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 14 at 18:28
Originally posted by Canada LT28 Canada LT28 wrote:

My speedo has been broken for 2 years now and don't miss it, haha

We have a thing called the MOT test which ensures the vehicle is roadworthy,...most of the time....once a year. You will have no doubt read the wailing and gnashing of teeth which fill the posts after a failure of said test. the speedometer and odometer are covered by the test, and must function correctly.Sleepy

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 14 at 18:51
Yes, you unlucky buggers. I fart in you general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

We have a stupid system whereby they look at our exhaust (diesel), hummm and haww and pronounce it fit as a fiddle and for $35, send us on our merry way.

We need a "safety check" when the vehicle is sold and in some places like Alberta (the Canadian wild west, tar sands central) they don't even need that.

94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 14 at 18:55
The LT would be right at home in the tar pits, it may even meet some younger siblings.

?What are tar sands? apart from not the same as tar pits.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 14 at 21:45
I have a tar pit under my LT too.

The tar sands (the oil companies call them Oil Sands) is where the dirtiest oil in the world comes from. It is basically a strip mine the size of the UK and they have to steam heat the oil out of the sand. The effluent is very toxic and there is no way to get rid of it. Google is your friend, haha
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 14 at 06:33
YeeuchDead

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Rabbit 16v View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbit 16v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 14 at 17:36
I wish we had an inspection of sorts here. All we have is tailpipe emissions and they are phasing that out. I dont mind that, but some of the cars we get through here should not be on the road in any capacity.
Chris
1985 LT40 4x4 2.5 TDI
1987 LT28 Florida
1985 LT45 Sülzer D24TI
1992 LT40 4x4 D24t
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 14 at 22:36
Originally posted by LTCamper89 LTCamper89 wrote:

YeeuchDead

Yup, if you really want to destroy aquifers the size of Europe, these guys know how to do it. Fucking fracking was invented by one of these Alberta dudes as well. We have a lot to answer for, when the time comes.....
AngryAngryAngryAngryAngry

Edited by Canada LT28 - 11 Mar 14 at 22:38
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 14 at 18:10
...and a the great sadly late Kenny Everett said,

VW LT Camper not Cramper

lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 14 at 21:30
Absolutely brill mc loving it brings back memories makes you wonder why any episode's were not re run ?Cry

Edited by lorryloader - 12 Mar 14 at 21:32
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
 Post Reply Post Reply