The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T4 AAB Fuel Pump Adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopperman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T4 AAB Fuel Pump Adjustment
    Posted: 02 Mar 14 at 16:21
The glow plugs were replaced by the previous owner but the pump was replaced in the wrong position. If i pull the start lever out when the engine is hot, it makes no difference.

Can anybody let me know how to gain access onto the top nut (13mm spanner) of the fuel pump on my AAB T4. I am used to working on impossible places on aircraft but i cannot get my fingers onto the nut.Cry

I can get to the bottom two, a piece of cake!
Abyss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 14 at 11:23
what are you doing? which nut are your trying to adjust? The cold start lever not doing anything when pulled is likely down to incorrect pump timing..I take it the cable is connected (look under the pump)
90 VW T3 Syncro Panel Stealth Camper

98 VW T4 Transporter 1200 LWB 2.4TD - Syncro wannabe
Chopperman View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopperman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 14 at 20:06
Thank you for replying.

I want to advance the pump timing as the previous owner stated that it was out when it was returned from the Glowplug change after they had refitted the pump. It does not run or start too good.

The engine should clatter when i pull the lever out when hot as it advances the timing

I have done pump timings before but this has got me on how to get to the top nut holding the pump to the engine casing. I can undo the bottom two, it`s just the third one on top hidden behind all the `Stuff` on top of the pump. I can see the slots in the pump casing below the nuts and washers

Cable not broken, checked the movement on the pump lever
What`s it doing now?
Abyss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 14 at 12:17
Thats not how you adjust timing of the pump...youo may want to read the autodata and stuff on here...the bracket bolts only tension the pump belt. 

2.4d AAB/AJA Pump timing is done with cam / crank at tdc and the pump locked with a pin at the factory timing marks...then you will likely have to adjust a bit at a time, with the bolt on the end of the cam undone, and slightly turning the cam pulley on the fuel belt side, by hand. Thats one way to do it with out major special tools such as DTI gauge,,but that way relies on manual tuning by ear,,, and checking smoke etc..

Abyss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 14 at 12:28
info all on my sky drive :) HERE

Edited by Abyss - 04 Mar 14 at 23:25

Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopperman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 14 at 12:43
Thanks again. 

Tried to click on the HERE icon nothing is happening
What`s it doing now?
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 14 at 21:14

Abyss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 14 at 23:24
Sorry try again.   

Edited by Abyss - 04 Mar 14 at 23:26

Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopperman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 14 at 07:51
Got it, thanks. Do you know the Torque setting for the Cam Bolt?
What`s it doing now?
Abyss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 14 at 09:21
yeah I do,,, what year van do you have? The two types vary thats all. and it should also be on the autodata.. mine for example is 160nm + 180degrees.

Abyss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 14 at 09:22
Depends on the year of the van,,,the info should be in my autodata sheets. My engine (AJA) has a torque value of 160nm + 180degree turn. Also found this for you, may help reinforce things. Smile

http://udlejning.hhres.dk/HTML/HHR316%20English.pdf

Post Reply Post Reply