The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sliding door handle rust

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old age traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sliding door handle rust
    Posted: 27 Feb 14 at 11:03
Had my T5 since August having moved from a T3 and just been driving to get the feel before I try my trip to France in the summer.
I have to say I miss my T3 but the new van seems ok although I am a bit worried by the negative comments on the site. I have had the timing belt and water pump replaced, as a precautionary measure, following advice on the forum but so far no major problems ( fingers crossed).
Anyway I have 2 questions I hope someone can help me with.

I have some rust staining coming from under the sliding door handle but as the van has been lined I don't want to investigate too much ; does the vw body corrosion warranty cover this?
I also have a strange "possible problem" when I am moving up form first to second and I lift off the accelerator quickly I get a strange buzzing sound. I am not imagining it as my grandson and wife have asked me what the noise was and I had to admit I hadn't clue, my wife was not surprised but my grandson was shocked as he thought I knew everthing.

Any help to restore my dented reputation will be appreciated.

Cheers
Mechanically challenged.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 14 at 11:53
Can't help with the handle rust- mine is still ok at ten years.  Re the noise-  Does it sound like it's coming from behind the dash in the centre?  If so, it's more than likely to be the N75 valve.  It's easy and fairly cheap to replace yourself.  It is actually under the bonnet right at the back.  It can either buzz or make a strange 'mooing' type of noise!

Edited by T5 TDI - 27 Feb 14 at 11:54
2004 2.5 174
old age traveller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old age traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 14 at 11:59
It comes from behind the dash but more right of centre and low down so could be this valve. I will check out what it does and how to fix.

Cheers, thanks for the reply.
Mechanically challenged.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 14 at 17:15
That sounds possible.  Can you reproduce it by blipping the engine stationary?  Better if you can because you can put your hand on the valve and feel it to confirm the fault.  It's on the bulkhead.  The N75 is the turbo control valve.  It's a small plastic unit with an electrical connection and vacuum pipes on it.
Confirm it's the right one since there are a couple of other similar valves.  Also it depends on engine size/code.  It's best to google the part number on the label on the valve to be sure.  It is to the right of the orange connector in the pic.  But don't confuse it with DPF pressure valve (if you have a DPF!).

I wouldn't buy any parts until you are sure but it is a good possibility. 

Edited by T5 TDI - 27 Feb 14 at 17:28
2004 2.5 174
bananaman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bananaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 14 at 19:56
Hello I have suffered the dreaded rust around the sliding door handle myself as have many others on here. There are quite a few threads regarding this issue-here is a link to one of them. http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/paint-defects_topic83138.html?KW There are other threads around on this subject-use the advanced search facility to find them.

I myself was one of the lucky ones in that VW accepted my claim and repaired it under warranty even though the van was out of warranty at the time. To get the ball rolling you will need to approach your local VW dealer first and they will put a case together and pass it onto VW Customer services. They will then make a judgement as to whether it gets done or not so good luck! There is a modified handle available which stops the problem occurring again-tell them that you know this and use it as a bit of ammunition is my advise as otherwise they may try their best to deny all knowledge of the fault.
T5 T32 SWB Kombi 130ps
VW master-tech View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VW master-tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 14 at 00:48
Hi all, on some early t5 the gear cables would vibrate inside there casing under acceleration/coming off throttle, they are located under the gear lever behind what would be the centre console if you remove the large trim under the gear lever and road test the noise will be louder and you can feel them vibrate, modified cables were fitted to cure this, may be worth a check before spending money :-)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old age traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 14 at 08:14
Thanks for the replies. The rain is OFF at the moment so I will have a look.
I take it that VW will have the modified parts and I will contact them about the door handle.
I will post when I get some answers.

Cheers
Mechanically challenged.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old age traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 14 at 17:32
hi again

I am still investigating, I liked the cable idea as the sound was just as I imagined a vibrating cable would sound but I tried to remove the centre panel with no success. It seems to be held on with a single screw and plastic lugs. I gave up after some pulling and twisting as I have a bad record with plastic bits.
I ordered a new valve as it seemed cheap enough and even I could probably fix it. If the valve is not the cause I will have a spare part and will spend more time with the plastic panels and look at the cables.
On a different point does anyone recognise what the yellow thingy attached to the air hose is. I asked a local mechanic and he hadn't a clue. At this point I will try to put in a couple of photos but if they don't appear feel free to come up with exciting ideas.

Mechanically challenged.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 14 at 17:59
It looks non-standard to me.  It's a plastic yellow thing on the air filter-to-turbo pipe ater the MAF with a random cable tie wrapped round it to stop it moving.  The three screws on the triangular plate make it look like an aftermarket part rather than a straight bodge.  But I'm with your mechanic.  Not a clue really!  I can't be doing with any go-faster or bling unless it's a genuine improvement as I judge it.
Wonder what it does though?  Smile  It's clearly after the air filter and MAF.. 
2004 2.5 174
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 14 at 23:36
Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

It looks non-standard to me.  It's a plastic yellow thing on the air filter-to-turbo pipe ater the MAF with a random cable tie wrapped round it to stop it moving.  The three screws on the triangular plate make it look like an aftermarket part rather than a straight bodge.  But I'm with your mechanic.  Not a clue really!  I can't be doing with any go-faster or bling unless it's a genuine improvement as I judge it.
Wonder what it does though?  Smile  It's clearly after the air filter and MAF.. 

I'll take a wild guess at it being one of those "cyclonic vanes which rotate the air as it goes into your engine and improve your fuel consumption" snake oil devices.  Unless of course it is an electronic "supercharger"  LOL

Considering what is about to happen to the air in just a few more inches when it gets whirled around in the turbo-charger I don't believe that sort of thing is going to make much difference, except maybe a slight reduction in maximum power due to slightly impeding air flow Wink
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old age traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 14 at 09:09
Hi all
Some extra info on the yellow thingy. It is made of metal and I put the cable strap on it is it rested on the metal tube below it and had worn half way through it. The strap holds it above the pipe, I hope.
The orange handle is attached by a cable to the mystery control and I gave it a pull when the engine was running and nothing seemed to happen. On the metal below the handle is a label saying emergency only but I don't know if this has anything to do with it.
I don't think it is a "go faster" gadget it as in it's former life it was a crew bus in Syllom Voe. It has only done 18000 miles and has probably spent most of the time ticking over to keep the heater working; it can be very cold in Shetland.
Mechanically challenged.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 14 at 09:27
It could be an emergency engine kill I suppose...  Although it's clearly not working.  And it could do with a cable through to the cab.
2004 2.5 174
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old age traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 14 at 17:32
It is an automatic overspeed engine kill valve and should also be able to be controlled manually. It is used in environments with the possibility of flammable gases.
I don't know if I should leave it as it is or remove it. I will do a bit more research.
Mechanically challenged.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 14 at 20:56
So it could have been a van used in say, a gas installation?  I bet it is a simple flap to block the intake on command.  If it was mine it would get it off and find out how it works in a nanosecond!  If you do take it off, post up some pics. Thumbs Up

Edited by T5 TDI - 01 Mar 14 at 20:57
2004 2.5 174
zedzedeleven View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zedzedeleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 14 at 22:45
Originally posted by old age traveller old age traveller wrote:

It is an automatic overspeed engine kill valve and should also be able to be controlled manually. It is used in environments with the possibility of flammable gases.
I don't know if I should leave it as it is or remove it. I will do a bit more research.
From what I remember from my days in a chemical factory diesel engines (and maybe petrol engines) could suck in volatile vapour like acetone and methanol causing the engine to race. The van in question was used up in Sullum Voe, so maybe it was fitted with the shut off valve as a precaution. Be interesting to see how it worked automatically. 
1.9 85ps swb 2004 in friesan green.

bring me sunshine.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old age traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 14 at 09:36
Hi

I have been doing some research, just for interest, and have discovered the website of the valve manufacturer. It is a Chalwyn D valve and is designed to prevent what zedzedeleven said ie engine racing when taking in volatile vapour.

This diagram shows how it works.
I am still not sure whether to leave it or take it out.
Mechanically challenged.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 14 at 14:38
Originally posted by old age traveller old age traveller wrote:

Hi
I am still not sure whether to leave it or take it out.

So definitely not a snake oil go faster/use less fuel device then LOL

If it was my van I'd be tempted to take it out - it is one more thing that could go wrong.  Although if your turbo seals ever fail it might stop your engine doing the rev-to-death runaway on the engine oil, so maybe leave it on ? (assuming it's a quality piece of kit that won't play up and doesn't need any maintenance ).
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 14 at 16:48
It's a simple/clever idea.  If the volatile gasses ingested cause the engine to overspeed- the increased airflow then automatically sucks the valve shut.  I'm surprised VW didn't think of making the shut-off flap they already have capable of that.  The ECU could shut the flap if the MAF showed excessive air flow.  Maybe they didn't trust that it wouldn't happen in the fast lane just because the ECU was having a bad day... Tongue
I think it will disturb the airflow and affect performance/fuel consumption a bit because it forces the air to squeeze around the open valve.  But still, if the van is going well why change it, it might just save the engine one day as Greg says.        
2004 2.5 174
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 14 at 05:40
Given how VW turbo-diesels work it would probably only slightly reduce maximum power (due to the extra drag of air going around it reducing the maximum possible volume of air).  

At partial power levels the ECU just injects the right amount of fuel for however much air is going into the engine, so no practical effect.  Much like a dirty/partially clogged air filter.  

The story would be quite different for a naturally aspirated petrol engine.

Edited by gregozedobe - 03 Mar 14 at 05:42
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old age traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 14 at 16:18
It doesn't seem to do anything when the engine is running although it does click when I pull the handle. Having looked at diesel engine runaway on u tube maybe I'll try to get it working.

I also emailed my local; vw dealer about the rust under the handle and am waiting for a response. Will let you know what happens.
Mechanically challenged.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>