FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sliding door handle rust

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
old age traveller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old age traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sliding door handle rust
    Posted: 13 Mar 14 at 16:26
Had my first contact with customer services and the guy on the phone seemed very nice but although the door handle was a known issue and they fixed it under warranty it was only up to 6 years and my van is just over that. To add to my woes I found some rust under the near side step and when I asked him about this he suggested that I get a van dealership have a look at it to see if it is covered by the warranty.
The nearest one is an hours drive away.
I wonder if it is a cheap/easy fix for the handle if anybody has done it or had it done I would be grateful for any information.
Cheers
Mechanically challenged.
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 14 at 10:28
Contact them now and keep them busy.

The one who is looking after my woes only works to 2pm each day, calls at 1.55 so the conversation can't go on too long.

You maybe be under some illusion that VW actually gives a dam about a customer.

Email anyway, fill their mailbox for them.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old age traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 14 at 08:47
I fitted a new moo valve and this to have done the trick but the van, although 7 years old, has only done 18000 miles. Why should the valve start to fail with such a small mileage?
My contact with the dealer seems to have stalled and I am wondering how long I should give them before I contact VW customer services direct.
Mechanically challenged.
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 14 at 10:45
Standard VW answer to the rust question, "Feck off!"

The corrosion warranty is a myth on paper.

You will be told to pay £200 to get a paint report and they hope that pisses you off and you go away.

You are a sub human in VW eyes as you own a commercial vehicle, if it was a car it would be sorted.

VW tail light warranty policy.

Tail light warranty definition. When they can't see your tail lights your warranty is over.
bananaman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bananaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 14 at 18:26
Keep us in the picture as to how you get on.
T5 T32 SWB Kombi 130ps
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old age traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 14 at 12:16
Have already had a response but just to ask me for my post code and contact number. I hope just to let me know which dealer to take the van to but may be just to put me off. We shall see.
Mechanically challenged.
bananaman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bananaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 14 at 21:16
Your local dealer will probably want to see your van and take some photos of the rust problems so they can put a report together for customer services, so it may well be quicker to take your van to them than wait for them to reply to your email.
T5 T32 SWB Kombi 130ps
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old age traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 14 at 16:18
It doesn't seem to do anything when the engine is running although it does click when I pull the handle. Having looked at diesel engine runaway on u tube maybe I'll try to get it working.

I also emailed my local; vw dealer about the rust under the handle and am waiting for a response. Will let you know what happens.
Mechanically challenged.
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 14 at 05:40
Given how VW turbo-diesels work it would probably only slightly reduce maximum power (due to the extra drag of air going around it reducing the maximum possible volume of air).  

At partial power levels the ECU just injects the right amount of fuel for however much air is going into the engine, so no practical effect.  Much like a dirty/partially clogged air filter.  

The story would be quite different for a naturally aspirated petrol engine.

Edited by gregozedobe - 03 Mar 14 at 05:42
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 14 at 16:48
It's a simple/clever idea.  If the volatile gasses ingested cause the engine to overspeed- the increased airflow then automatically sucks the valve shut.  I'm surprised VW didn't think of making the shut-off flap they already have capable of that.  The ECU could shut the flap if the MAF showed excessive air flow.  Maybe they didn't trust that it wouldn't happen in the fast lane just because the ECU was having a bad day... Tongue
I think it will disturb the airflow and affect performance/fuel consumption a bit because it forces the air to squeeze around the open valve.  But still, if the van is going well why change it, it might just save the engine one day as Greg says.        
2004 2.5 174
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 14 at 14:38
Originally posted by old age traveller old age traveller wrote:

Hi
I am still not sure whether to leave it or take it out.

So definitely not a snake oil go faster/use less fuel device then LOL

If it was my van I'd be tempted to take it out - it is one more thing that could go wrong.  Although if your turbo seals ever fail it might stop your engine doing the rev-to-death runaway on the engine oil, so maybe leave it on ? (assuming it's a quality piece of kit that won't play up and doesn't need any maintenance ).
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old age traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 14 at 09:36
Hi

I have been doing some research, just for interest, and have discovered the website of the valve manufacturer. It is a Chalwyn D valve and is designed to prevent what zedzedeleven said ie engine racing when taking in volatile vapour.

This diagram shows how it works.
I am still not sure whether to leave it or take it out.
Mechanically challenged.
zedzedeleven View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zedzedeleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 14 at 22:45
Originally posted by old age traveller old age traveller wrote:

It is an automatic overspeed engine kill valve and should also be able to be controlled manually. It is used in environments with the possibility of flammable gases.
I don't know if I should leave it as it is or remove it. I will do a bit more research.
From what I remember from my days in a chemical factory diesel engines (and maybe petrol engines) could suck in volatile vapour like acetone and methanol causing the engine to race. The van in question was used up in Sullum Voe, so maybe it was fitted with the shut off valve as a precaution. Be interesting to see how it worked automatically. 
1.9 85ps swb 2004 in friesan green.

bring me sunshine.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 14 at 20:56
So it could have been a van used in say, a gas installation?  I bet it is a simple flap to block the intake on command.  If it was mine it would get it off and find out how it works in a nanosecond!  If you do take it off, post up some pics. Thumbs Up

Edited by T5 TDI - 01 Mar 14 at 20:57
2004 2.5 174
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old age traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 14 at 17:32
It is an automatic overspeed engine kill valve and should also be able to be controlled manually. It is used in environments with the possibility of flammable gases.
I don't know if I should leave it as it is or remove it. I will do a bit more research.
Mechanically challenged.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 14 at 09:27
It could be an emergency engine kill I suppose...  Although it's clearly not working.  And it could do with a cable through to the cab.
2004 2.5 174
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old age traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 14 at 09:09
Hi all
Some extra info on the yellow thingy. It is made of metal and I put the cable strap on it is it rested on the metal tube below it and had worn half way through it. The strap holds it above the pipe, I hope.
The orange handle is attached by a cable to the mystery control and I gave it a pull when the engine was running and nothing seemed to happen. On the metal below the handle is a label saying emergency only but I don't know if this has anything to do with it.
I don't think it is a "go faster" gadget it as in it's former life it was a crew bus in Syllom Voe. It has only done 18000 miles and has probably spent most of the time ticking over to keep the heater working; it can be very cold in Shetland.
Mechanically challenged.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 14 at 23:36
Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

It looks non-standard to me.  It's a plastic yellow thing on the air filter-to-turbo pipe ater the MAF with a random cable tie wrapped round it to stop it moving.  The three screws on the triangular plate make it look like an aftermarket part rather than a straight bodge.  But I'm with your mechanic.  Not a clue really!  I can't be doing with any go-faster or bling unless it's a genuine improvement as I judge it.
Wonder what it does though?  Smile  It's clearly after the air filter and MAF.. 

I'll take a wild guess at it being one of those "cyclonic vanes which rotate the air as it goes into your engine and improve your fuel consumption" snake oil devices.  Unless of course it is an electronic "supercharger"  LOL

Considering what is about to happen to the air in just a few more inches when it gets whirled around in the turbo-charger I don't believe that sort of thing is going to make much difference, except maybe a slight reduction in maximum power due to slightly impeding air flow Wink
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 14 at 17:59
It looks non-standard to me.  It's a plastic yellow thing on the air filter-to-turbo pipe ater the MAF with a random cable tie wrapped round it to stop it moving.  The three screws on the triangular plate make it look like an aftermarket part rather than a straight bodge.  But I'm with your mechanic.  Not a clue really!  I can't be doing with any go-faster or bling unless it's a genuine improvement as I judge it.
Wonder what it does though?  Smile  It's clearly after the air filter and MAF.. 
2004 2.5 174
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old age traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 14 at 17:32
hi again

I am still investigating, I liked the cable idea as the sound was just as I imagined a vibrating cable would sound but I tried to remove the centre panel with no success. It seems to be held on with a single screw and plastic lugs. I gave up after some pulling and twisting as I have a bad record with plastic bits.
I ordered a new valve as it seemed cheap enough and even I could probably fix it. If the valve is not the cause I will have a spare part and will spend more time with the plastic panels and look at the cables.
On a different point does anyone recognise what the yellow thingy attached to the air hose is. I asked a local mechanic and he hadn't a clue. At this point I will try to put in a couple of photos but if they don't appear feel free to come up with exciting ideas.

Mechanically challenged.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>