The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT2 and sprinter forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Broken timing belt.. Urgh.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the brit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Broken timing belt.. Urgh.
    Posted: 29 Jan 14 at 17:51
My trusty early LT35 SDI (MWB, hi-roof) dropped its timing belt doing about 50mpg on the motorway. The belt was done about 15k ago, and from what I could see on the hard shoulder looked to be in good condition - I can only surmise that a tensioner or the waterpump etc failed prematurely.

After getting it towed, I had to leave to go back to the USA so it's sitting in Surrey right now. This brings up a couple of issues/questions..

Should I fix it up? It's just had a new MOT, and it's been a wonderful vehicle - but it's dented and rusty, the side door doesn't open and of course it's a SDI so super slow. A replacement one (a LWB would be nice) would surely cost a decent amount unfortunately.

I've been thinking about doing a replacement cylinder head instead of replacing the engine with a unknown one. With it being a non-turbo, it should be a pretty quick job - I may consider paying someone else to do it if doesn't bill too much.

I'm open to ideas and input! 
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 14 at 19:54
The head and camshaft are very likey ruined...bottom end normally survives. Head swap is quick and easy but be sure to measure piston heights to rule out bent rods.
the brit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the brit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 14 at 20:23
Do the cams really go?? I've never heard of that on any of the other VW heads I've rebuilt. I've done a bunch of 1.8T 20v, 5 cylinder Transporter petrol and other heads. Agreed on checking the pistons - I clutched in immediately and it went at low RPM so fingers crossed the pistons were kissed at most.  I am thinking that the head swap is the way to go, assuming I can find a economical way to source one.

The problem does seem to be finding one - there's a couple of badly listed ones on ebay for £200 that do not inspire confidence, and a rebuilt one for £400 after shipping costs - that puts it well over £600+ for parts by the time I do gaskets, bolts etc. It sucks that I'm not in the same country as the van or I would fit new valves, seals etc onto my existing head.

mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 14 at 21:31
Liklihood of cam breakage depends on engine design - if the valves are in line with the pistons, with the cam directly above, then damage is a lot more likely! I've even known XUD engines survive with valves intact and just a broken cam when a belt goes!
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 14 at 21:43
If it has a vw 5 pot engine in then there is a very good chance of a broken cam and cracked tappets...valves tend to squash rather than bend as they get banged straight upwards.

Head suffers when cam caps break as they are machined to the head.

Edited by max and caddy - 29 Jan 14 at 21:45
RNT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RNT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 14 at 19:46
Originally posted by the brit the brit wrote:

My trusty early LT35 SDI (MWB, hi-roof) dropped its timing belt doing about 50mpg on the motorway. The belt was done about 15k ago, and from what I could see on the hard shoulder looked to be in good condition - I can only surmise that a tensioner or the waterpump etc failed prematurely.

After getting it towed, I had to leave to go back to the USA so it's sitting in Surrey right now. This brings up a couple of issues/questions..

Should I fix it up? It's just had a new MOT, and it's been a wonderful vehicle - but it's dented and rusty, the side door doesn't open and of course it's a SDI so super slow. A replacement one (a LWB would be nice) would surely cost a decent amount unfortunately.

I've been thinking about doing a replacement cylinder head instead of replacing the engine with a unknown one. With it being a non-turbo, it should be a pretty quick job - I may consider paying someone else to do it if doesn't bill too much.

I'm open to ideas and input! 
Did you actually change the belt yourself or get somebody to fit it, or was the belt change noted in some correspondence you got with the van.?
the brit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the brit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 14 at 17:25
Originally posted by RNT RNT wrote:

Did you actually change the belt yourself or get somebody to fit it, or was the belt change noted in some correspondence you got with the van.?
[/QUOTE]

Previous owner. 

The could imagine that the van has a bit of a hard life in my ownership, no matter how nicely I treat it. It sits for 12 weeks without moving, and then gets fully loaded and driven constantly for 2 weeks including towing as well, before being left to sit for 3 months again.

Originally posted by max and caddy max and caddy wrote:

If it has a vw 5 pot engine in then there is a very good chance of a broken cam and cracked tappets...valves tend to squash rather than bend as they get banged straight upwards.

Head suffers when cam caps break as they are machined to the head.

Yes, it's the 5 cylinder SDI motor.

I did not think of that.. All of the VW heads that I rebuild normally have angled valves - 16v, 20v. The only exception was the 5 cylinder petrol from a T4, which was a normal rebuild - no further damage that bending valves.
RNT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RNT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 14 at 07:51
In view of that reply and although it does not help you unfortunately, it could be either the previous owner or perhaps some one they had change the belt for them, either did not change it at all or did something else wrong too tight perhaps or did not check or change the tensioner water pump etc the list is long.
   I need to change my belt it is imminent i have documentation saying it was changed at vw but even then i dont trust it. This is one reason i do jobs like this myself, but sadly as vehicles get more complex with sensors ecus etc its getting increasingly difficult or even impossible in some cases  to maintain things yourself.

Edited by RNT - 11 Feb 14 at 07:52
 Post Reply Post Reply