FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hoping to buy a '90 Westfalia Florida

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hoping to buy a '90 Westfalia Florida
    Posted: 09 Feb 14 at 13:43
Originally posted by timaldiss timaldiss wrote:

Aaw thanks man. Yeah AWE was lwb.

LHD has never bothered me and we're avid francofiles and life near enough to Dover to take regular breaks (when this endless bad weather ends)
your'e well placed then and i suppose LHD is ok when your in a country it is suited to but as for me in country roads i would find it dangerous .
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
timaldiss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timaldiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 14 at 14:08
Aaw thanks man. Yeah AWE was lwb.

LHD has never bothered me and we're avid francofiles and life near enough to Dover to take regular breaks (when this endless bad weather ends)
-------
I have a history of VW LT camper van addiction: http://campervanman.co.uk
lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 14 at 18:03
Love your new camper timaldiss swb as well only thing i don't like its lhd, but i guess all westfalia and svenhedins are like that ? Looked at your conversion a lot over the years on loftsites it was the red one lwb ?
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
floridaboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floridaboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 14 at 16:55
Really like the super wide awning, might do that on mine!

Looks like a very smart van. Mines got 300 k on it too, with new head fitted 15k ago. We love ours, i'm sure you will too!
1990 LT31 Florida 2.4TD
Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 14 at 11:42
Originally posted by Uberhare Uberhare wrote:

Originally posted by BeJay BeJay wrote:

Originally posted by LTCamper89 LTCamper89 wrote:

Looking lovely TimAldiss.
Nice to see such a clean and tidy dildo too.LOL

You know what - I have no idea how that got in there! Reckon I've been hacked! I'm getting an error trying to edit the post to! Doh! Anyway it was nice that they left me one ;)

Don't worry timaldiss, you haven't been hacked, Wink a while ago there was a spate of spamming on here by kit-chen fitting firms, so one of the mods sorted the swear filter to change the word k i t c h e n (if spelled correctly)  to dildo, it was quite amusing hence LTCamper89's smiley, and why you can't edit it. LOL

I guess I won't be posting any pictures of my dildo.....LOL

I stopped posting pics of my lovely dildo as I knew some people would get jealous, and I didn't want to get into a competition with ElvisLOL
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
Uberhare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uberhare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 14 at 02:38
Originally posted by BeJay BeJay wrote:

You know what - I have no idea how that got in there! Reckon I've been hacked! I'm getting an error trying to edit the post to! Doh! Anyway it was nice that they left me one ;)

Don't worry timaldiss, you haven't been hacked, Wink a while ago there was a spate of spamming on here by kit-chen fitting firms, so one of the mods sorted the swear filter to change the word k i t c h e n (if spelled correctly)  to dildo, it was quite amusing hence LTCamper89's smiley, and why you can't edit it. LOL

I guess I won't be posting any pictures of my dildo.....LOL
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 14 at 18:12

NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
sartine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sartine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 14 at 17:51
Thanks Timaldiss for you warm welcome, yes i was in Germany mainly because i was looking for a replacement car for my wife that drive only automatics, so i bought a Toyota Rav4 which is pretty rare here with the petrol engine and the automatic gearbox.
On the way back to Italy (i live close to Milan) we made a little deviation to see her and the rest was as i said in my previous post.
Anyway i'm happy for you , it is so clear to me that this was you van and you were choosen from her, that i can quite touch your joy!
Westfalias LT  here in Italy were not understand mainly because of our "latin" character: we need to show to other the appearance in order to qualify us as rich and whealty, and for that we need something bigger and full of amenities . If you take a look at our RV production it explains you all; that isn't to say that we build bad RVs, it' s only a totally different philosopy.
When you read italians RV forums the main repeated post is something like: "hey guys i want to get 160+ km/h with my Turbo Ducato, who can done a good chip to me?"
That shows you all, we're really stupid here!

Thanks for your advice about driving the LT, i am confident with the n/a LT engine as i test drove various Sven Hedins here and probably since this is an "old school engine" my expectations were a little too high; anyway what i said about speed it's not my philosopy, to me good times begins when i start the engine and the joy is to travel and learn new things, not to arrive. I'm not in a hurry when i'm on holiday, i want to be safe for me and my darlings.

What to say more? I started to look around from about six months so far, and i saw pretty everything was on offer here! 
The mai problem found is what i said at the beginning of my post: these veicles were not understand here, for that reason you find a lot of them full of post mods in the most cases done without head: bigger fridges fitted ruining the dildo, Cassette wc inserted by cutting the panels inside and outside, missing awnings with holes everywhere, electric wirings cutted and jointed because "this bigger battery is a plus" and so on...LOL

The best vehicle found was a 1987 Sven Hedin in  the Turbo LT31 form, with the straight dildo and the rear door exit like yours, one owner since new and 140k kilometers on the clock, very clean in/out (and very vintage, since you know it's brown and beige!). The LT31 is important to me because you can load 6 people day driving  (LT 28 here reports only 4 on the vehicle documents, and that can be limitating to me). 
So i hope to join this community very soon, thanks for all and all my best for the moment

Davide
timaldiss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timaldiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 14 at 17:28
-------
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 14 at 17:25

1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
timaldiss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timaldiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 14 at 17:08
Hi Sartine

Wow you actually flew up and test drove her from Italy? Sorry you didn't fall for her like I did, but I guess I'm glad too! One mans loss, etc.

Don't forget that LT's are basically commercial vehicles. They are big lugs that don't get going easily, but it's the price you pay when you want such a high spec on such a short wheelbase. 

Regarding turbos: some time after I converted my first LT (http://loftsites.co.uk/campervans/vw-lt-camper-conversion.html) I found out that the turbo valve had rusted shut. I remember the day I drove her home after the garage fixed it and boy did she rocket! But you know it's not like a car's turbo - she pulled better, yes but it's relative, so don't expect too much of a difference.

On the 750 mile drive back to the UK after I bought her I had nothing but admiration for her performance - she pulled well (you do have to rev them higher than you think) and cruised as fast as I'd want her too (130kmh max) so I am very happy with her. Yes the mileage is high but with one mechanic owner from new and kept indoors she'll be good for many years more.

Thanks for the tip on the TV aerial. I think I'll be taking that down but I'll certainly get some sealant around the hole in all this bad weather. 

There are a few Florida's for sale in Italy... have you seen these two?

Good luck in your hunt. They're becoming classics as I type!
-------
sartine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sartine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 14 at 16:48
Hi Timaldiss and thanks for sharing your experience. I'm a newbie and i was for long only a reader of this excellent forum, but when i saw your post i felt the necessity to reply to it.

I'm too (for long) in the process to buy a VW Westfalia LT Campervan and i'm looking both to Sven Hedins and Floridas. 
Here in Italy these models were not so appreciated at the time and there are very few around; for this reason i was forced to look around Europe and Germany was the obvious choice.

I went to Neufarn in 12/20/2013 to have a look at what now is your Campervan.
It was for sale from a general car reseller and it was here from a long time. The main reason for that is because it failed the TUV because of a brake problem and a front suspension worn. The clock also read something like 300k+ kilometers.
The seller was asking for 7k.- € "as is" and there was no chance to negotiate, so we pass and left, also because of the hole made on the top for the TV antenna mast (what a bad idea to create a water passage in such a beautiful vanCry).
We foud (i have plenty of pics in my camera) various rust spots scattered around, mainly at the corners of the windscreen, and at the joints of the panels as found in the majority of the LTs.

Unfortunately for you, there was no reason to me to take a photo of the clock, so i haven't one if you ask. I went also for a quick testdrive and i was not very impressed with the general performance of the engine: i found them very poor also because this is a turbo engine, ad i test drove various n/a LTs it was expected to me to feel a difference but it was not perceible at all.

This does not mean that you got a bad Florida; just to fix that wolfs are everywhere and are very able to understand our ingenuity when we're excited for a new toy...
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 14 at 16:10

WHS^^^ you only need to pay VAT if it was originally registered outside the EU, no VAT to pay here if VAT/purchase tax was paid on original purchase within EU.
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 14 at 15:56
Deffo need and refund 'cos deffo don't need to pay VAT!!!
Back in the slow lane, yeah!
timaldiss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timaldiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 14 at 15:31
Excuse my French, but the f**kers have just changed their mind and told me I don't need to pay the VAT they told me I had to to get her licensed over here. WTF. Now to read up on getting a refund!
-------
timaldiss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timaldiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 14 at 15:17
Damn I got stung for VAT :( Thought I'd read up on that, but guess I just omitted the fact that the dealer wasn't VAT registered. Anyone else been stung for 20% after the fact?

Anyway despite that shock I'm still living the dream. Cleaned her from top to bottom and started tinkering with some bits and bobs. Those VW mud flaps arrived from Corsica so when the rain finally stopped I went out and fitted them and decided to take a few more photos. 

I tried to capture a little bit more of my good fortune - she's in such good condition there's a lot of pressure on for me to look after her well and I hate the fact that she's out there in the rain in the road, but hey ho - she'll be basking in the sun soon enough!

Clean, tidy dildo

Loving how new the Westfalia interior still looks and feels after 24 years!

Complete with vintage home entertainment centre! (tv/vhs unit free to collector!)

That carpeting has got to go!

I know - you're all just staring up in amazement at that blue sky right!

This is the only rust spot on her skirts that I could find :)

And doesn't she sit well. This was one of the main reasons I had to fly out to Munich and see her.

I'm not going to miss these export plates when the DVLA finally pull their fingers out!

-------
volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 14 at 22:02
Congratulations on the new van and the new mot Thumbs Up Always good when the Mot guys are positive about the condition.

I like that old merc you had.  Something about them which just appeals.

Your timing is just right.  A few months to get things just how you like, then have the weather (well hopefully) to enjoy it to the full.
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
timaldiss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timaldiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 14 at 18:59
Passsed the MOT :) Second time round :( 

Needed new swivel joints on both sides. Parts were cheap; labour not. It took 3 of them with a great big wheel nut lever to loosed her bolts before they could get under there! 

Still the guy who did the MOT was suitably impressed by her condition underneath. The mechanic that owned her had done whatever was needed as it was needed. He'd finished the test but offered to drive her back up the ramp so I could see. New springs, new shocks, new pipes here and there, and amazingly clean.

Paperwork all now off with the DVLA. That blasted V55/5 used vehicle reg form is a mare though. Anticipating it coming back and annoying Adrian Flux who need to see progress by next Thursday...  We'll see.

Anyway the wonders continue. Opened the roof box for the first time today. Guess what's in there? An unused Omnistor safari room for the awning! Amazing.

Posting a tech question about the water system tonight though... do they really not have micro-switched taps?!
-------
Uberhare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uberhare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 14 at 00:00
Congrats! Looks like a great deal! It has an upgraded longer awning like mine. That is one of the best features. You can open the front door without rain pouring in. The standard awning ends at the door.

$7k is a great price all in if everything works. I'd pay that for another one to have spare for when mine wears out.

Want to loan it to me when I fly over this year?   :) I've got 1 of 2 known Florida's in Canada.

SteveSt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveSt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 14 at 22:57
What a beaut'
Loving that top-box
Approve
Where's that jealous smiley when you need it?

LT31 1991 2.4 TD Florida Westphalia • Honda ST1100 • Ford Tourneo Connect
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>