The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Which cars are fitted wv 1z , ahu, afn,  engines.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which cars are fitted wv 1z , ahu, afn, engines.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scimdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which cars are fitted wv 1z , ahu, afn, engines.
    Posted: 15 Dec 13 at 19:28
Hi I've just started to look for a complete running donor car for one of the above codes. Ideally I'm looking for a ahu .   My box is being sorted in feb so I'm ready to start the search for a car.   Sensible milage etc.   preferably close to Milton Keynes if its mot n tax less.

Golf 3
Golf 4 ????? Early ones?
Sharan mk1
Passat mk1
Seat toledo
Seat Alhambra MK1
Audi 80 / 90

Transverse fitting better that longitudinal due to engine mounts.

Any others I've missed?
Without engineers science is just philosophy..... Joined the revolution with a 18 year old TDI :
gary1998 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 13 at 01:46
beware the fury of a patient man

http://www.eireball.com/
Scimdiesel View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scimdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 13 at 11:14
Found a car... and I've very excited....   
Without engineers science is just philosophy..... Joined the revolution with a 18 year old TDI :
youthy giblets View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youthy giblets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 13 at 17:30
What donor did you end up getting?
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scimdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 13 at 19:49
Golf 3 ahu with the immo in a box not in the clocks.    Should be an easy install. Hopefully :) What I'm Wondering if it's worth keeping the front mounted oil cooler from my aaz.   
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youthy giblets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 13 at 22:23
Oil cooler will be worth keeping surely. Are the ahu 1z engines from golf (transverse) able to accept the standard right drive t3 engine mount then or is it only the transverse afn code 110bhp engine blocks that, that rule applies to? Reason I ask is I have a sharan afn Tdi in my van with a standard mount and I also have a 1z motor out of my old golf I was going to donate to a mate for his Atlantic and trying to keep the conversion cost down for him
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 13 at 18:04
The 1Z golf block will allow a standard t3 alloy right hand mount to bolt on yes...and a oil cooler on a tdi is not really needed...they run cool to cold..if used it must be thermostatic.

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youthy giblets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 13 at 22:22
That's interesting. When I removed the afn from the bluestar I bought it out of it had a remote oil cooler fitted mounted to the load floor area in front of the rear trailing arm with 2 pipe running up to a sand which plate on the factory oil cooler. I toyed with the idea of removing it as its something else that can go wrong/ get damaged. There is certainly no thermostatic control on it, is it really doing more harm than good? If so il stick with simplicity and bin it.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scimdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 13 at 16:58
Well the car I walked a way from.   The 120k miles on the clock didn't match the rest of the car. It had been played with. .   So I bought off ebay vwaudinewusedparts an apparent pallet of golf engine. Ecu loom and all I need of a golf bits for this conversion .    I know it's a risk since I've relied on someone else to take the loom out, not heard the engine running. But it's saved loads of time. Also I've not needed to tell the misses yet. A scrap car on the drive would be obvious!     Now I have it all I've lay everything out and all looks present and correct.   I've started to clean the loom of some of the stuff I don't need.    The engine looks virgin. Now I've got to stay calm.   My wish list on bw is about 300 notes.    
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 13 at 19:54
Originally posted by Scimdiesel Scimdiesel wrote:

Well the car I walked a way from.   The 120k miles on the clock didn't match the rest of the car. It had been played with. .   So I bought off ebay vwaudinewusedparts an apparent pallet of golf engine. Ecu loom and all I need of a golf bits for this conversion .    I know it's a risk since I've relied on someone else to take the loom out, not heard the engine running. But it's saved loads of time. Also I've not needed to tell the misses yet. A scrap car on the drive would be obvious!     Now I have it all I've lay everything out and all looks present and correct.   I've started to clean the loom of some of the stuff I don't need.    The engine looks virgin. Now I've got to stay calm.   My wish list on bw is about 300 notes.    

£300? few things to add yet then...?
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 13 at 19:58
Originally posted by youthy giblets youthy giblets wrote:

That's interesting. When I removed the afn from the bluestar I bought it out of it had a remote oil cooler fitted mounted to the load floor area in front of the rear trailing arm with 2 pipe running up to a sand which plate on the factory oil cooler. I toyed with the idea of removing it as its something else that can go wrong/ get damaged. There is certainly no thermostatic control on it, is it really doing more harm than good? If so il stick with simplicity and bin it.

I reckon bin it...well sell it to a AAZ owner anyway..the tdi really struggles to get warm, and untill it does fuel consumption is compromised...as long as your planning on big hauls up big hills it will be fine with the factory oil cooling and t3 diesel rad.

Fit an oil temp gauge instead...less to go wrong is a real advantage...and if you charge cooling you need the space for the watter rad.

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scimdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 13 at 23:11
Yep I think selling my oil cooler and the aaz will probably pay my BW wiSh list. Yep I've thought of a few more items this weekend to add to the wish list!.   But I think I'll take the oil pump off the aaz when I steal the sump it's only 2 years old..    The oil temp guage I have hence shortly after a oil cooler was added.   I'm pondering where to fit the tdi loom, ecu, and fusebox.   It's massive!!!.    I do like the idea of having a proper immobiliser. I have not told the misses yet about my plans and the hours of banging, swearing and her faverate thing engine reving.   I just need to sit down with the wife and explain why the perfectly good working aaz is effecting my manly hood.   Being over taken my trucks on hills is bad for us men and unless I go tdi our boys will never be able to look up to me as a real father :)

Edited by Scimdiesel - 22 Dec 13 at 23:20
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 13 at 17:02

Yep I think selling my oil cooler and the aaz will probably pay my BW wiSh list. Yep I've thought of a few more items this weekend to add to the wish list!.   But I think I'll take the oil pump off the aaz when I steal the sump it's only 2 years old..    The oil temp guage I have hence shortly after a oil cooler was added.   I'm pondering where to fit the tdi loom, ecu, and fusebox.   It's massive!!!.    I do like the idea of having a proper immobiliser. I have not told the misses yet about my plans and the hours of banging, swearing and her faverate thing engine reving.   I just need to sit down with the wife and explain why the perfectly good working aaz is effecting my manly hood.   Being over taken my trucks on hills is bad for us men and unless I go tdi our boys will never be able to look up to me as a real father :)
You dont need to fit the whole fuse box just a couple of relays and the glow plug fuse`s depending how you go about it http://www.haywood-sullivan.com/vanagon/TDI/ha-projekt-wiring.8.pdf

First link is wiring interface TDI to T3 the other has some other info if requeird
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scimdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 13 at 23:02
Cheers for the links.   And very interesting.   I think being sober when cutting the loom is probbably sensible.. day after boxing day hang over permitting:). Something I noticed in the pics on the link was that the turbo had not been indexed and the oil return was back to the block.   I tried to index mine this evening it refused to turn.   Either it's really really stuck or it's dowelled.   I don't have a jx sump.   My aaz setup I used the block hole and some sexy eBay an fixings.   It's been perfect. No oil smoke ever.   The ahu turbo is different and positioned differently. It's hard to approximate 50 degrees with the engine on a pallet.
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 13 at 20:54

Cheers for the links.   And very interesting.   I think being sober when cutting the loom is probbably sensible.. day after boxing day hang over permitting:). Something I noticed in the pics on the link was that the turbo had not been indexed and the oil return was back to the block.   I tried to index mine this evening it refused to turn.   Either it's really really stuck or it's dowelled.   I don't have a jx sump.   My aaz setup I used the block hole and some sexy eBay an fixings.   It's been perfect. No oil smoke ever.   The ahu turbo is different and positioned differently. It's hard to approximate 50 degrees with the engine on a pallet.

Inlet side (air) may well be dowelled i have only seen the exaust side dowelled on vnts,as for oil return some return it to the bottom of the oil filler pipe (weld on a fitting1/2inch- 5/8 bsp?)
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scimdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 13 at 10:18
Most of the loom is cleaned up.   Still got the fuse box. I,m sure I can get this gone also but I may wait until its in and running.   There are just a few wires I'm not sure about.   I can make a engine mount easy enough, but I thought I'd check out costs of pre made ones...   Holy cow!   Maybe I should design one from lazer cut plates and breed them :).   I design loads of suspension brackets.    (Engineer at spax).     I know it's only Boxing Day but the engines at work 25 miles away and I want to get cracking
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scimdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 14 at 22:13
I started my afn tonight on a pallet.   My tidied loom works. And my engine runs sweet.   

http://youtu.be/k92vPDuEgaE

My wife wasn't interested but I'm sure other like minded t3 addicts might. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply