The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Thinking of buying an LT35 -82 with engine problem
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thinking of buying an LT35 -82 with engine problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Widar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thinking of buying an LT35 -82 with engine problem
    Posted: 29 Nov 13 at 07:26
Hey everyone, new here. All google searches i made always had brick-yard results in them so i guess i had to register. ;)

So, Me and the mrs are looking for a nice, cheaper camper and the LT-series seems to do the trick. In Sweden cars older than 30 years have MOT every second year and are free from road taxes so we're looking for something older.

A couple of days ago i saw this on a swedish for sale site;
It's cheap, has MOT until summer 2015 and looks to be in good condition. But the problem is that, and I'll do my best to explain in english, that it doesn't rev and is very weak. From what i can tell it's a 4cyl 2L (1982). It's currently at a shop, but they couldn't fix it(modern mechanics..?). They managed to get it running from cleaning the carburetor but the problem came back. The seller says it's so weak that it won't make it into 3rd gear nor above 20 kph.

So now i turn to the knowledge, what do you think? From what i've found a Weber 36 would be an alternative to the original carbutor?

Thanks,
Widar
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 13 at 09:46
Welcome Widar,Beer

The petrol lads will be along soon with an idea or two. If the compression, timing, sparks have all been checked and are fine, then it is probably old, dirty or interrupted fuel supply.

Good luck.Thumbs Up
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Widar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Widar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 13 at 10:20
Thank you! Beer

I've asked the seller if compression has been checked, waiting to hear back. I just think that it's strange that the repair shop (big seller of VAG group as well) haven't been able to fix it. That's what makes me worried.

We'll see. I dunno if i'm willing to take a chance on it, it's a big hassle getting it here since it's about 160 miles from here... Don't want to tow anything that distance.

Edited by Widar - 29 Nov 13 at 10:21
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 13 at 11:02
Originally posted by Widar Widar wrote:

Don't want to tow anything that distance.

.....and have huge hassle afterwards.

The fact that the garage is VAG does not mean they have the expertise in older vehicles.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 13 at 12:49
I think for that price (reduce if possible) it is worth it to change the engine to a diesel. Otherwise it looks like a good van, from what I can see.
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
Dreamcatcher View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 13 at 18:49
Welcome Widar.

It could be something as simple as the vacuum advance not advancing the ignition as the revs build,
this will give the symptoms you describe. Thumbs Up
Dave 1991 LT31 Camper
Widar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Widar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 13 at 10:34
Thanks for the inputs and welcome!

Please tell me more about the vacuum advanve! Or where i can see and read about it :)

Got more info from the seller, apparently the repair shop have only looked at the van when they had spare time and that didn't happen often... They believe it's the carburetor sknce it worked adter cleaning. I still dont know if a compression test have been made and told the sellers that i want it done before we procede. Me and the mrs really like the van and off course the price, about 2000 gbp chaper than other ones ive seen for sale.

Thanks!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 13 at 11:45
Right at the bottom of the page is a Google Search bar which is set to the brick-yard, but you can change it to the Web.

The results in the brick-yard are from all forums.

By using the Advanced Search facility, up in the top left of the page, you can specify which forum the results come from, thereby narrowing the results to ones which may help more.

I think there are more OldTimers on the continent, so you may find more Perkins petrol on LT-Freunde

Continued good wishes.Thumbs Up

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 13 at 00:09
Sprechen sie deutsche, LT?
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 13 at 07:04
Not likely, just use the pictures and the descriptions to figure out what is meant. The translations are not always that coherent anyway, but getting better at  it.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 13 at 16:52
These engines are really simple, my guess is that it's almost certainly spark related, a new coil is around 15UKP, king lead 3UKP. If I was travelling any distance I'd take them with me.
The other possibility is an air leak, on either the manifold or the carb, but I wouldn't take the garages word for either.

The 4 pot engine is very reliable but not economical, expect around 15mpg.
LT's are excellent value for money but petrol engines need converting to lpg if you plan to go touring.

When I bought my old bus I changed the coil, points etc and have never had a problem since.
Not sure about the carb you mention, but there is an issue with getting them converted to LT's, just not enough carb bodies around anymore to modify.

Personally I wouldn't spend any money on the carb, I'd just make sure there were no air leaks on the existing carb and spend the money on an lpg conversion.

Hope this helps, shame you aren't local so we could swap parts.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Widar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Widar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 14 at 06:51
Quick update here -  we bought it. And since it's 270km from home i ordered a carb service kit to the shop and had them change it. Now it runs but they found several modifications inside the carb, drilled holes etc so they've had huge problems setting it up and can't get the exhause values legal.

So now i'm in the hunt for a replacement carb. 
I found a new Pierburg 1B1 for VW LT ( http://www.ebay.de/itm/251400698881?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 ) But with my luck it got sold 2 hours before i could get it.

So.. Now after the holidays I'm back for looking for another one and realized the same seller has another Pierburg 1B1 in stock, but that this one is for Passat.
I've asked the seller if this carb would fit VW LT but all they said is that Pierburg says it's for 55HP and not 75HP.

What do you think? Would this work for my LT? What would i need to change / replace from the old carburettor?
http://www.ebay.de/itm/191043564196?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Or would i be better of looking for something else?

Thanks!
Widar
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 14 at 00:28
Ohh, BTW, welcome to the wide wonderful world of the LT (and VW in general). You will become a good mechanic yet.
Wink
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 14 at 17:19
I've advised what I'd do mate, don't know how much you have spent and you still have a problem.
Almost any Pierburg you find will need to be modified in an engineering shop to fit at extra cost, it's been done by someone on the forum and I think it cost £160.

You could convert to a manual choke like mine (Weber 34ich I think), again trouble is finding one.
They used to be fitted to Landrovers and Bedford vans, the base which bolts to the manifold is the same shape as the LT's, as is engine size. You would need to re-jet though as required at around £3 each from Weber.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Widar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Widar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 14 at 11:04
Hey again! Thanks for the input and welcomes. :)

Yesterday we finally got the LT home! Such a yoy to drive, I'm really looking forward to the big road trip this summer! No hurry., the huge hill an hour from here, ~20mph, second gear. :)

The shop managed to modify and setup the carburettor even due to all the previous modifications on it, abling us to drive it home.
It runs clean (on all four cylinders without missfire) when the choke is at a certain amount... Move it a mm any way and it missfires. They urged me to change the carb into something else. Maybe I'll get something completely different and fit it with an adaptor plate, I'd be able to make one at work.

But at least it's now driveable (~270 km yesterday).

The shop found that there has been more modifications to it probably with the aim of gett more hp. They suspect tuning cam shaft and there is a higher grade "tuning coil"(?) on it. I will get new, ignition things and change, but i still think that the modified carburettor is the source of the problems since it's running fine when it gets the right amount of fuel.

Now the hunt for spares start, will check all the forum links! 

Picture:

Edited by Widar - 16 Feb 14 at 12:17
volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 14 at 14:16
I found this company to be very good

I got my replacement carb (weber) from them.  I had a 2E3 before so not the same as yours.  They do loads of spares so they might do a re-build kit or maybe a replacement weber.  That's if you can't find anything a bit near to you.

You might find this thread interesting

I know it's about the newer 2E3 carb and not yours but it contains a lot of information about the pro's and con's of a re-build or a Weber.
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
Widar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Widar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 14 at 08:17
Thanks! Contacted carburettor hospital;
"I WOULD SUGGEST A WEBER CONVERSION............£285.00+VAT ........I HAVE JUST THE ONE LEFT.........WEBER HAVE STOPPED MAKING THEM..........OR I HAVE A SOLEX CONVERSION TO A 34PBIC......................£225.00+VAT"
No luck with original parts there.

Thanks for the thread link, great read. That really made me want original parts, looks like a conversion will be too much problems.

Just gotta keep looking i presume... Wonder if the carburettor body is the same on all Pierburg 1B1's, then it would be possible to build one working out of two spares.
Widar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Widar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 14 at 16:26
Update here, i found another new Pierburg 1b1 on ebay, this time i got it. :)

While changing other bits to new ones I took some pictures today of what the current one looks like.

Where should the plugged (vacuum?) hoses go? Tried searching the forums, google, and checked the Haynes manual but i couldn't find what i looked for. Any ideas to point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Edited by Widar - 25 Apr 14 at 16:28
Uberhare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uberhare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 14 at 21:45
You should replace any of those rubber hoses that are cracked.  Fire hazard if the fuel ones start to leak!

Widar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Widar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 14 at 08:43
Thanks, and yes off course - i will replace all hoses when putting the new carb on. But that still doesn't solve the problem for me - i have to find out where they all should go! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>