The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wheel bearing tool

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vdub_heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wheel bearing tool
    Posted: 20 Nov 13 at 23:08
Hey peeps!
Does anyone have a gen2 bearing tool available to hire/ rent ??
North west, north wales area?
Cheers guys
Nej
VW Galaxy 130 in black
220k t4 800 special just died!!RIP
Proud owner of an 05 T30 lwb 130 in a whiter shade of grey!!
Berisford View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berisford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 13 at 18:50
Looks as if they're a rare bit of kit ......
Senate Square, Helsinki, 12 June 1993.
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 13 at 00:20
I gotta a lump hammer and chisel if that would help?

Worked fine on wheel bearings to date with Mrs Al's freezer trick!
sunny43.5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunny43.5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 13 at 05:55
My uncle showed me that trick about forty years ago he was a sort of self made mechanic who drove fuel trucks all over the Australian outback and you needed to be smart in those days as there were very few sealed roads and even fewer service stations . He was good at improvising , my father and I were trying to remove some wheel bearings from my first car a 56 Morris Minor yes I am  that old , any way my uncle arrived to see us struggling and walks over grabs a hammer cold chisel and a couple of bricks to support the axle one good whack and bye bye bearing he was a genius .
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 13 at 10:35
Only thing is...the T5 is a load of shit..I mean its a bit different to the old stuff...the bearing and hub is one complete unit and whilst it might be possible to get that out and in using a hammer, freezer etc ther is a clip ring thing that is pushed in by the fitting tool...that could cause a problem if it goes in wonky or if the bearing gets stuck half in half out as it would have to bashed home potentially damaging the races...my advise...take it to a vw garage and pay the book price, it's cheaper than the tool and you don't have to do it either!
Vdub_heaven View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vdub_heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 13 at 12:20
Yes max!! Think I may have to bite the bullet
VW Galaxy 130 in black
sunny43.5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunny43.5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 13 at 04:38
Yes modern technology has relegated the home handyman to the museums . Sigh I miss the old days .
bananaman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bananaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 13 at 20:14
I've done both front bearings in my van and I've got away with using a press and a big socket to press the bearing into the hub. With regards to the clip ring I've just used a couple of screwdrivers to hold it straight .
T5 T32 SWB Kombi 130ps
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 13 at 00:53
Not specific to VW but I miss the older stuff, allot easier to work on
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vdub_heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 13 at 21:17
Well, bullet bitten and booked in to local van centre
Quoted 2.5 hours for bearing and top strut bearing!! Oh and dropped the labour rates too
VW Galaxy 130 in black
SteK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 13 at 21:56
Sorry may be a bit late on this but I have the tool and be happy to help, based in Bromborough on the Wirral and I'm sure I would beat the main dealer on price.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vdub_heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 13 at 22:06
You have pm!
VW Galaxy 130 in black
SteK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 13 at 22:17
PM back, think I did it right
Daniel38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 13 at 19:44
I've got new on the carpartkings, there is a very good price, perhaps you can afford it, wheel bearing tool will be useful all the time
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vdub_heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 13 at 21:19
Stek on the case!
Proper diamond
VW Galaxy 130 in black
 Post Reply Post Reply