Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Decorating...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 13 at 20:38
I always gloss last too shep
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

flowervanman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flowervanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 13 at 21:26
I always gloss last because my father in law says that's the proper crack.
I'm not allowed to gloss just yet cos I'm only 40 and apparently it takes years of practise to get it right, he lets me sand and undercoat.....in MY house!!
The shitter I am at things the more he won't let me do em, it's a perfect scenario, he feels like he's better than me and is teaching me important life skills.... I get my house painted!

Edited by flowervanman - 06 Nov 13 at 21:27
Founder Member of the One Man Brazilian Bay Club within a non club forum based chat thingy
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 13 at 21:36
Originally posted by flowervanman flowervanman wrote:

I always gloss last because my father in law says that's the proper crack.
I'm not allowed to gloss just yet cos I'm only 40 and apparently it takes years of practise to get it right, he lets me sand and undercoat.....in MY house!!
The shitter I am at things the more he won't let me do em, it's a perfect scenario, he feels like he's better than me and is teaching me important life skills.... I get my house painted!

LOL

I'm guessing that when you were a young lad you "accidentally" dropped and broke some plates when you had to help with washing dishes, so because you were so "clumsy" you got out of dish washing from then on ?

But hey, if it works for you who am I to question it ? Wink
flowervanman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flowervanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 13 at 21:42
I still do it!!
Founder Member of the One Man Brazilian Bay Club within a non club forum based chat thingy
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 13 at 22:09
Originally posted by gregozedobe gregozedobe wrote:

I'm guessing that when you were a young lad you "accidentally" dropped and broke some plates when you had to help with washing dishes, so because you were so "clumsy" you got out of dish washing from then on ?

We had some Pope plates when I was at home with the olds. I broke a Pope Paul VI 10" plate on a Sunday after tea whilst drying the dishes. He died a few days later.Shocked

Unfortunately, still doing dishesUnhappy, just no more Pope plates.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 13 at 00:05
Originally posted by shep65 shep65 wrote:

Because it's easier to 'cut in' with a 1" brush with gloss on skirtings/frames than it is to try and do the same with a 4" emulsion brush.

You do as you like chap, I however am a time served  City & Gulids apprentice who unfortunately chose decorating as a living.

by 'cut in' I assume you mean keep a neat straight line down the edge of the frame/skirtings without getting it on the emulsioned walls, (something I freely admit I'm not good at) and my tool of choice for emulsioning is more likely to be an 8" roller rather than a 4" brush, but then I'm a 40 year veteran HGV driver who unfortunately HAS to decorate occasionally, so as you're obviously excellent at 'cutting in' with a 1" brush, you being a city ang guilds time served decorator by trade, I'll happily defer to your superior knowledge on the subject. (but I'll still do mine my way as I definately find it easier to wipe the emulsion I'm bound to get over the edges of the gloss off rather than the other way round) LOL LOL Thumbs Up
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
Stu Dapples View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Ebenezer Geezer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stu Dapples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 13 at 06:24
I think this calls for an independent test to prove once and for all which theory is the better.... One of you decorate the dining room, the other one do the bedroom. I will, of course, supply all materials required. Once they are done, I will get Mrs. Dapples to judge...

Anyone man enough to accept?

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way when you judge him, you will be a mile away, and have his shoes...
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 13 at 07:46
LOL
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 13 at 08:26
Originally posted by Stu Dapples Stu Dapples wrote:

I think this calls for an independent test to prove once and for all which theory is the better.... One of you decorate the dining room, the other one do the bedroom. I will, of course, supply all materials required. Once they are done, I will get Mrs. Dapples to judge...

Anyone man enough to accept?

not a snowballs chance in hell Stu, I hate doing MY decorating never mind doing yours as well, I'll quite happily defer to the professional thinking in this instance LOLWink, (but still do my own my way 'cos I know whichever I do last would inevitably end up getting onto what I did first, guess I'm just a messy ba***rd Big smileBig smile.  

Vanorak
Vanorak
Ebenezer Geezer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stu Dapples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 13 at 16:23
Sounds like a cop out to me!
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way when you judge him, you will be a mile away, and have his shoes...
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 13 at 22:04

as far as doing your decorating goes Stu, it is Smile
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 13 at 01:54

gloss first here too..   not long bought our first house, 3 rooms down 6 to go...

was allways told gloss first.. then when cutting in with your wall colour keep a damp cloth handy, i like the cutting in straight... its done me fine that way so far. think the cutting in it straghter than the walls are in my house.

not if anyone wants to come and to my tiles in our bathroom, i would be happy to paint a room in return...LOL
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
Vanorak
Vanorak
Ebenezer Geezer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stu Dapples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 13 at 08:06
Apparently wallpaper comes in batches, if you don't get all the rolls from the same batch, it doesn't match...

I've now git to strip 5 drops back off the wall and start again as B and Q only keep 4-6 rolls of each batch in!

Bollox
vwsween View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vwsween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 13 at 08:27
I would expect them to check the codes all match at the checkout - but maybe I expect too much?  
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 13 at 08:38
You what!, B&Q (Bodge and Quit) pay peanuts so do you expect the monkey on the till to know about batch numbers? ( apologies to B&Q staff)

Priority one get the money, priority 2 see one.
Vanorak
Vanorak
Ebenezer Geezer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stu Dapples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 13 at 15:09
Originally posted by vwsween vwsween wrote:

I would expect them to check the codes all match at the checkout - but maybe I expect too much?  

Apparently they are supposed to...

They gave us one roll free from the 4 we need as a goodwill gesture, not admitting liability or anything...
vwsween View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vwsween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 13 at 16:01
Originally posted by Alonline Alonline wrote:

You what!, B&Q (Bodge and Quit) pay peanuts so do you expect the monkey on the till to know about batch numbers? ( apologies to B&Q staff)

Priority one get the money, priority 2 see one.
Actually, yes, I would expect them to know. Maybe the local one to me has better staff.
Vanorak
Vanorak
Ebenezer Geezer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stu Dapples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 13 at 17:56
Ours is terrible! I reserved something online then rode 13 miles to collect it... Only to be told it was in fact out of stock!

No apology, no attempt to locate it our try and get it to me, bugger all!

Not much choice by me, bandq or home base...
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 13 at 08:56
Use an independent local, better service, they pay their taxes in the UK and they generally know what they are selling.

Just my tupence worth.

I bet you could have stripped a wagon and rebuilt it in the time on this job?

They have a bridge up North which they keep painting all the time, fancy a project? Forth Bridge?
Vanorak
Vanorak
Ebenezer Geezer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stu Dapples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 13 at 17:37
Originally posted by Alonline Alonline wrote:

I bet you could have stripped a wagon and rebuilt it in the time on this job?

Not read many of my tech posts have you?!

JasonK and Rowlsey will probably comment about now! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>