The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T5 174 exhaust manifold

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 14 at 20:14
I found a ductile cast iron replacement for £299 from this seller

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-EXHAUST-MANIFOLD-VW-TRANSPORTER-T5-VOLKSWAGEN-TRANSPORTER-T5-/191086724524?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AVW&hash=item2c7da805ac

They have developed this because of this issue we are experiencing. I have just fitted one today to my 2006 T30 174 AXE and it is a nice quality piece of kit, way more substantial than the original. 

Just like you guys I didnt wanna fit the OEM one, not only because it is £140 more expensive, but because I didnt want it to happen again!

On inspection of my original manifold it was cracked all around one port to the extent that the flange fell completely off when I removed the nuts. A further 3 ports were also cracked and propagating circumferentially. 

I am a jet engine engineer and have carried out many inspections and evaluations on combustion components. In my professional opinion these OEM manifolds are flawed and are not 'Fit for purpose'. Therefore rendering them open to a legal challenge!

Wink   
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 14 at 23:02
So how did it go Mr T?    Did you have to cut the heat shield as the instructions say? And more importantly did you take the rear engine mounting off.

F***ing jet engineer indeed!    
2004 2.5 174
Randello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 14 at 00:54
Easy, just use some tin snips. No need to remove rear engine mount.

By the way there are such things as jet engines, in fact there are quite a lot of them thus there are such things as jet engine engineers, in fact quite a lot of them!!!
The Transporter View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 14 at 15:34
Hi T5..... Still not bought the manifold though I did contact the seller a little while ago... Been very busy, had to fit a new aircon compressor, condenser and radiator to the car and beefier suspension to the Jeep also been moving to a new workshop but the manifold is next on my list....

I chucked the old heat shield away years ago when I first welded the manifold.... From memory the entire job is much easier if you do remove the rear support..

Jet engines???? They're hardly rocket science......LOL
2004 174bhp AXE engine..... Belligerence has been confirmed.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 14 at 21:16
Sorry Randello but your post looked so dodgy I thought it was Transporter having a bit of fun! I still think it's dodgy, perhaps you are the seller of the ebay manifold drumming up some more business?

If not, and I have wronged you perhaps you can introduce yourself and tell us a bit more about the job. You didn't mention your experiences of taking the turbo off for instance...       
2004 2.5 174
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 14 at 22:15
T5 Sir! I have been wronged and I demand satisfaction on the field of honour......Assuming my van makes it....Tongue
Randello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 14 at 20:40
Hey Vanorak, I have nothing to prove and Im not the seller just someone who had a cracked manifold and wanted to share my solution. What's weird is why you're so suspicious? Even if I was the seller, this is about engineering and resolving some of the issues we have! 

P.S. No hard feelings though and I dont feel wronged! 
triple View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 14 at 22:32
Well according to the ebay ad this manifold fits the axe/axd ( upto the end of 2006 without dpf ) and the bpc/bnz ( 2007 to 2010 with dpf ) i was under the impression that early pressed steel manifold and later cast manifold were not interchangable.

Tornado red celtic mapped lwb 174 AXE.
2014 bmw s1000r.
ktm 350 freeride
1975 yamaha rd350b
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 14 at 09:56
It's a complete new thing triple. It's been made specifically so it can replace the rubbish steel one. It is a close fit though, that's why you have to chop the heat shield down in order to fit it.

Randello- One of the things in your post that made me thing it wasn't genuine was that you said you had 'fitted one today' as if it were a headlamp bulb. No mention of all the hours removing the turbo, the awkward exhaust clamp etc.

Originally posted by The Transporter The Transporter wrote:

T5 Sir! I have been wronged and I demand satisfaction on the field of honour......Assuming my van makes it....Tongue

Well, I should warn you I am an excellent shot Sir and there won't be any NHS treatment for another 250 years!   
2004 2.5 174
Randello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 14 at 22:07
OK 'T5 TDI' (got yur name right now!). It took me about 6 hours and is a bastard back breaking job especially if you havent got a ramp! I had to work mostly underneath lying on my back with the van 'axle standed'. I didnt remove the rear eng mount but in hindsight it would have been easier. I had to remove the air box and the worse job was getting off(and on) the underside manifold exhaust stud nuts. This was because you need maximum reach and cant see FA. The exhaust does not need removing, just remove FT clamp from turbo and move exhaust down pipe out the way (it flexes enough). I also removed the EGR re-circ pipe etc from top of manifold. There is a lot more to it than this but these are the key points.

The OEM time for this job is 2.5 hours but obviously that is in a garage with a ramp by experienced Mechies.  
outbackski View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outbackski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 17 at 02:32
well its now 2017 and I must tell my story .12 months ago I purchased an aftermarket cast manifold for my 06 t5 from the UK I had my mechanics attempt to fit it and it would not fit cost me about $1200 aussie dollars and I had to get original manifold welded.
well the weld lasted about 12 mths and has cracked again ,so I bought one from Turkey and it looked exactly the same as the original .I got my mechanic again to fit but it would not fit ...each time before I purchased the manifolds I gave all my vehicle details to the seller and each one told me its a direct replacement and will bolt straight on...but they lied...that cost me another $1000.00 aussie dollars ....I now have to pay the VW tax and buy a genuine manifold at $1400.00 aussie plus fitting so another $500.00 ...
I am over these overrated overpriced pieces of crap ....VW why the hell do people buy them ..VW should be run out of business and should take the responsibility that it IS THEIR FAULT ..FFS..
I WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER VW AFTER THIS.
and just to add salt to the wound my Auto gearbox stuffed up last year and vw told me that they don't have problems with any gearboxes its just wear and tear at another cost of $7000.00 Aussie dollars .
Marc Cafarella
Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 17 at 12:11
Thats real bad luck outback
I ordered mine off ebay for my 05 axe and it fitted with a little jiggleling
God whispers in our soul & speaks to our heart. When we don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick.
It's our choice: Listen to the whisper or wait for the brick!
05 Shuttle SE 174 Auto LWB
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outbackski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 17 at 19:23
I don't know if the AXE in Australia is different but it has cost me dearly I recon I have spent over $2500 aussie dollars and I hope the replacement original manifold will last .
My mechanic tells me that the vw replacement is strengthened around the flanges so that tells me that vw know that they stuffed up and it should be at their expense same as the auto gearbox thaT COST ME $6500 au as the part that needed to be replaced was made better than the original ....
I would sell the multivan but it now owes me too much and the market here is not good ....now my cruise control is dropping out ...really what is going on...
I have a 2008 Mitsubishi triton diesel dual cab and had it from new with no problems and it has same miles as vw 160000 klms..I will never buy a VW again..ever.
Marc

Marc Cafarella
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 17 at 17:46
I do agree with you about VW walking away from some faults which are clearly their crap design. The problem is if you look at other European van forums you find similar horror stories about other makes.  The only thing is to vote with your feet but what else can you buy that will actually do what it is supposed to?  Some folks have been tempted by the Hyundai iload.. 

I can't think why an Aussie AXE engine should be any different.  The problem with the aftermarket manifolds is always the distance between the block/oil feed face and the EGR connection because the cast manifold doesn't have the benefit of a flexible EGR pipe which the original has.  The clearance to slide the new manifold in is almost zero (you may remember I explained this in our pm's.)  Which is why the trick with rope I mentioned is necessary.  The only thing I can think of that would explain why yours was physically impossible to fit (and if I remember you had several different mechanics try) is if the head had been skimmed at some time.  My Ebay manifold still fine a few years down the line but it was a real git to fit!  I have had at least two other folks pm me about this problem.  

In the end, although I blame VW absolutely for the poor performance of the original manifold, on my completely standard unchipped van, you can't blame them for the poor fit of any aftermarket parts.

I do feel your pain though.  I was quite shocked when my brand new £22,000 van (in 2004) had to go back to the dealer more than 20 times under warranty.  I remember back then it reminded me of the dark old days of British Leyland.  Since then I can't really complain since apart from the manifold, a starter motor and battery, an oil switch plus a heater motor which needs surgery very soon it's been fine since then.  I'm on 109,000 miles and just coming up to 14 years old.  I must admit it does worry me when I read tales of cracked heads and ruined engines etc.  

Fingers crossed...

Edited by T5 TDI - 07 Dec 17 at 13:53
2004 2.5 174
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outbackski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 17 at 18:09
thanks so much for your reply and yes the multivan really is great to drive and does everything I need it to do ,but I get so stressed that it will shit itself somewhere miles from home ..but now that I have invested so much money and time I have no option but to keep it ..and like you keep my fingers crossed ..
I have read on the forum that the brake light  switch could have something to do with my cruise control dropping out ...so I have ordered one and will see if it fixes the issue.
Thanks
Marc
Marc Cafarella
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 17 at 19:09
Smile  I've never been to Australia but if your van breaks down there it really could miles from anywhere!

The cruise dropping out could be lots of things but the brake and clutch pedal switches are a good cheap start.  If you have anyone near you with VCDS they can look at the CC system for fault codes and check the function of all of the switches on the stalk as well as the brake and clutch switches.  If yours is randomly dropping out the J519 box under the dash or even the alternator can cause it if the voltage steps outside of what it should be.   
2004 2.5 174
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outbackski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 17 at 01:30
Yea, I have a brake switch on order that will be first thing I change.
I have a cheap vehicle diagnostic tool for the VW and I have no faults on engine , auto ,ABS or air bag ...don't know if the VCC will be any better but I don't have or know of anyone with one ...I will investigate the J519 box whatever that is ...Google is my friend..
Marc Cafarella
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 17 at 10:22
I think the switch positions relating to the cruise control can all be seen in the engine controller but it depends if your tool will show live data or just read codes.

Don't bother reading the following anyone if you have a low boredom threshold!  

I had some problems with an almost impossible voltage 17.7v (as read in the J519, which is called the Cent Elec controller or similar when using VCDS) plus an alternator fault code.  I had had the CC dropping out occasionally for some time and it was always at the end of a long (250 + mile) journey.  The J519 has a 'load sensing' function which as far as I can make out is to switch off any unnecessary consumers if the battery voltage gets low.  Mine seemed to be switching on stuff because it would cause the idle speed to dip as (I think) it sought to get the alternator voltage back to spec.

Anyway, the consensus was that I should replace the J519 but at £300 odd when I couldn't even prove  there was anything wrong with it seemed wrong to me.  In the end, I discovered that I could tell the van it wasn't equipped with the load sensing function buy re-coding.  This cured the idle dipping and the CC drop outs, plus it stopped the fault code I was getting in the Cent Elec controller.  A year on and I recently had one single event of the CC drop out.  The CC came straight back but I think the fault is really with the alternator and I have simply masked the symptoms. I should say the max battery voltage l ever saw using a meter was 14.7. A bit high perhaps.

I doubt if yours has the strange problem mine had but I'm just putting this out there in case anyone else comes this way. Smile  

Edited by T5 TDI - 07 Dec 17 at 20:00
2004 2.5 174
Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 17 at 12:56
My switch has just failed an I've got a new one on order
Started with cruise not working and the heater coil light flashing and now rear lights stuck on
I stripped the switch but its caput so currently disconnected
God whispers in our soul & speaks to our heart. When we don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick.
It's our choice: Listen to the whisper or wait for the brick!
05 Shuttle SE 174 Auto LWB
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 18 at 00:55
Crikey! Are you lot still letting the Germans gas you? I just thought that I'd drop in and see how everyone is.... It seems like it is a lifetime away since I waved my T5 good bye and I don't think that I miss the grief..
I opted for a Transit Custom, which has proven itself to be a little more reliable than the VW it's done 31k now and will be going back to the lease company shortly and except for one recall for a new oil filler cap and some braindead Mong in a Beemer running a red light and hitting me just behind the drivers door all has been good. Iwill probably buy my own in the Spring but to get me though the Winter I have my trusty DBT Doblo (Dog Box Turbo) an ex Taxi with almost 400K on the clock... It starts and moves and sometimes the brakes work....Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>