The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T5 174 exhaust manifold

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bovnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5 174 exhaust manifold
    Posted: 29 Oct 13 at 13:37
I have a 2006 174 2.5 auto with 34,000 miles and the pressed manifold has been welded and is on its way out again. Looking on ebay i see what looks like cast manifolds 2nd hand. Are these interchangable ?
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 13 at 19:52

No, the cast one doesn't fit.  I'm going to be in the market for a tubular/welded manifold sooner or later.  I have emailed all the fabricators I can find on the web but as far as I know nobody is making them.  There certainly is a market for them! Thumbs Down   PP tuning were helpful and replied personally but said they are no longer making them.  They did say that there was a possibility that a company in Holland were doing them but they didn't say who.

If anyone knows of a source of sensibly priced aftermarket AXE/AXD exhaust manifolds I'd be interested. Smile   

2004 2.5 174
bovnet View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bovnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 13 at 08:39
Bummer, and i take it posioning the occupants doesnt warrant a safety recall ?

Whats the inferior vw part cost roughly ?

"If anyone knows of a source of sensibly priced aftermarket AXE/AXD exhaust manifolds I'd be interested"

Me too!
bananaman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bananaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 13 at 19:37
Cant be too long till Al is around here-surprised he hasnt added his thoughts to this one already! Anyhow while things are still going well i will say im interested in finding someone who makes a decent manifold as i think mine is cracked too Confused
T5 T32 SWB Kombi 130ps
outbackski View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outbackski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 13 at 20:42
Hi Guy's
I live in Australia and have a 2006 multivan 2.5 TDI AXE with a stainless steel exhaust maNIFOLD,
and am concerned about what I am reading regarding these manifolds.
it appears that not some but all these manifolds will fail.
My van has done 130000 klms with original manifold,if they are all going to fail surely Volkswagon have a responsibility here,for them to fail they must be poorly designed.
is there anyone else out there with original manifold.

Marc Cafarella
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 13 at 23:32
Originally posted by outbackski outbackski wrote:

Hi Guy's
I live in Australia and have a 2006 multivan 2.5 TDI AXE with a stainless steel exhaust maNIFOLD,
My van has done 130000 klms with original manifold,if they are all going to fail surely Volkswagon have a responsibility here,for them to fail they must be poorly designed.

In my humble opinion you are right.  130,000 KM (about 81,000 miles) is poor for an item that should really last the life of the engine.  I hereby nominate you to take VW to court in Australia, Europe and everywhere else and make them admit it!  LOL   

2004 2.5 174
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outbackski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 13 at 04:38
If you would have read my post. , my manifold is ok
I don't take kindly to your smart arxs reply !!
Marc Cafarella
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 13 at 08:08
The point is I doubt if VW will do anything about it unless they are sued and it's going to take someone with deep pockets because they are huge and we are small.  Good luck to anyone who tries.  They might like to take a few other items into consideration-

Drive shafts, Camshafts, Turbos, intercoolers, Cylinder heads, Gearboxes, Rear springs, Wiring looms, ABS pumps, DPF sensors, A/C compressors and rear wheel bearings.  I might have forgotten some..

For the record.  My manifold is now badly warped and leaking fumes into the cab at 86,000 miles.

2004 2.5 174
bovnet View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bovnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 13 at 09:38
outbackski if yours is the same it will fail. I suspect your climate is kinder.

Mine a mere 31,000 miles, the vehicle originally doing 4 x 6 mile journeys a day for 2 years then its typical journey is a 25 miles round trip. All short use very few motorway runs.

The other concern is the autobox also shot at < 35,000 miles.

Although its coming up 7 years old the webasto parking heater failed 2 years ago, the aircon 3 years ago (leak at rear) and now the electric sliding doors.

Piss poor for a vehicle i expected to last a minimum of 10 years at a cost of 3k/year depreciation. Costly motoring. I could have had a 2k hack every year thrown it away and saved money.

My once in a lifetime chance at owning a new vehicle. Disappointed with it to say the least. Including wheelchair lift at £6,600 and excluding VAT i paid £36,600 for it.

Liquidfreak View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 13 at 15:50
Originally posted by outbackski outbackski wrote:

Hi Guy's

Outbackski, unless you have had a stainless steel exhaust manifold made for your van (which I doubt as we have tried to get a couple of companies in the UK to make them) the SS bit is the heat shield for the exhaust manifold. The manifold is actually a mixed alloy and can be welded with a MIG welder. 
2004 VW T5 Panel Van T30 2.5 130 AXD Engine
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outbackski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 13 at 16:15
thanks Guy's,its bloody disappointing ,I guess my expectation was that buying and owning a VW  was that I was getting a vehicle built to last,but I guess that there is no such thing.
I wish I had sourced info from forums before I made the investment,now ,I guess one has to expect to replace all the items that you guys have mentioned and be prepared to be ripped off by mechanics,because in OZ, no one wants to works on them,and in my area the average cost for mechanical work is $110.00 aussie per hour......what a joke.
I recon I will get rid of it now ,before it breaks me...
Marc Cafarella
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 13 at 18:59
One good point is there are plenty out there with starship mileages.  I saw a taxi the other day that was apparently approaching half a million miles. I've no idea how many bits were original but it's always good to see big mileage vans. Smile

My problem is VW not admitting/fixing all poor design were it occurs.  This is how you build a reputation.  They will actually fix certain things, even things that don't affect safety sometimes but their criteria looks to be based on some kind of 'loss adjuster' mentality.

It's a van, it needs to be reliable.  

I love my van but it still makes me nervous.  It goes like a train and I suppose at almost ten years old I can't really complain, but 86k out of an exhaust manifold? 

I got twenty five years from new out of a 1985 Nissan Sunny.  44 MPG and no parts whatsoever replaced except the dashboard heater grille which my wife poked out with an umbrella in the first week!

Come on VW.  We expect better...

Edited by T5 TDI - 03 Nov 13 at 19:03
2004 2.5 174
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outbackski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 13 at 23:05
Yea, I agree , come on Vw ,
Can you tell me what actually happens to the manifold ,
Does it warp and if so WHY !!
It can, t be heat . I don't understand. .
One would think that a steel exhaust should be better than cast .
Could it be that steel bolted to alloy is the issue. ?
I would like to understand WHY !!
Marc Cafarella
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 13 at 07:49
They usually fail by rusting through and cracking around the welds from what we hear on here.  But also the flanges warp.  On mine you can actually see a gap between the two flange bolts a feel it blowing.  I think the metal is just too thin.  And it certainly doesn't look impressive as a design.

Edited by T5 TDI - 04 Nov 13 at 07:52
2004 2.5 174
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outbackski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 13 at 18:10
Thanks for the pic,is it a job that you can do yourself ?
do you get at it from above or below ?
I think I will see if there is any one in OZ who can manufacture.?

Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 13 at 18:46
I have said my bit on the petition below.
Liquidfreak View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 13 at 19:58
The walkthrough is here 
Enjoy.

Edited by Liquidfreak - 04 Nov 13 at 19:59
2004 VW T5 Panel Van T30 2.5 130 AXD Engine
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outbackski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 13 at 06:53
hey
thank
you for this detailed description of how to do the job.....
I really appreciate it.Tongue
Marc Cafarella
stewi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stewi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 13 at 13:30
Did any one in |Uk find an aftermarket manifold mines snapped and am not really wanting to spend £440 on a genuine one that might break again!!!!
Cry
T30 kombo 174
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 13 at 09:46
Anyone who has had a failure log it with VOSPA in the UK.

Co poisoning is a serious matter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>