The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Location of VIN on the LTs...?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the brit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Location of VIN on the LTs...?
    Posted: 14 Oct 13 at 21:39
Aside from the obvious black data plate with the screen printed style VIN, is there another location of the LTs were the VIN is stamped please? On a VW Golf etc they're stamped on the rain tray on top of the bulkhead for example.

Thanks!
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 13 at 00:51
Completely from memory, inside the (UK) nearside wheel arch rings a bell for some reason. I can check when I next go to the van as it's in the handbook, but it's raining and a pain to take the cover off. Any urgency?

PS Enjoyed reading about your Dodge Sprinter and the road trip!
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
Rabbit 16v View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbit 16v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 13 at 01:12
Sticker behind the fusebox?

It is stamped on the frame. I dont remember where though. If you click through the stickies, there is an owners manual for a Westy model that has the info in it.
Chris
1985 LT40 4x4 2.5 TDI
1987 LT28 Florida
1985 LT45 Sülzer D24TI
1992 LT40 4x4 D24t
Alan Price View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 13 at 19:46
On my 1981 van its stamped on the main longitudinal chassis leg. The outside face behind the (uk) offside front wheel. I think it as under underseal and somebody at some point has scraped this off to reveal the chassis/vin number
1981 French LHD LT28D.Professional camper conversion
lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 13 at 13:37
Yes def under front wheel arch can't remember which side though !
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
the brit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the brit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 13 at 17:42
Thanks everyone! We found the VIN on the frame rail on the UK Drivers side, in the wheel arch. The owners manual was useful, but the actual stamping was covered in what I assume was at one time undercoating and is now a mess of dirt and residue. It was about the easiest VIN etching I've taking though once we found it.

I took photos in case it will help anyone in the future. The VIN has been blanked out for privacy..

Originally posted by mat_the_cat mat_the_cat wrote:

PS Enjoyed reading about your Dodge Sprinter and the road trip!

Thanks, glad you liked it. Are you on the VWVortex or did you see that super random article in PVW? Lots more work coming on that thing this winter - finally finishing the bodywork VW sheet metal conversion, and I've towing with the idea of a VW TDI engine and manual 5 or 6 speed conversion too.
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 13 at 18:00
I'm not on VW Vortex - I found the blog simply through looking at your website! I used to do a bit of delivery driving in a Merc Sprinter so kind of have a soft spot for them...
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 13 at 11:11
That VIN number looks a bit dicky!
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
JockyB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JockyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 20 at 20:47
Yup, that's where the two sheared-off rivets are....wtf do I do now? Cops? DVLA? JB

Post Reply Post Reply