The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > Other VW > Caddy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cookie's 1988 Caddy Build.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcpapabling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cookie's 1988 Caddy Build.
    Posted: 01 Oct 13 at 19:44
Hello there to anyone who's actually reading this, Tongue

This is the rebuild/restoration thread of my MK1 Caddy.

My names Cookie, I am the proud owner of a 1988 MK1 Golf Caddy, Tongue Probably the youngest owner of a Caddy here actually, I'm only sixteen LOL She is painted Gambian Red and started her life as a farm vehicle in a village very close to mine. I grew up with this truck because it was uncles and it was always lurking in the background and I never took any particular notice of it because it was just always there, until one day, I was sat in my room looking yet again for a beetle on e-Bay (Had money for a project car and wanted a beetle at the time) and I saw a MK1 Caddy while scrolling through the list of nonsense. Suddenly my brain realised that it was the same truck as the one that was in my village. Shocked My brain went into impulse mode and I started raiding all of my money stashes. LOL I skateboarded all the way to his house that very moment and within the next week I had bought the truck and it was sitting on my drive. Big smile Clap Beer Only then did I realise that spending £1250 on a truck leaves me with no more spending money to do work on it so I guess I have to make do with what I have, here is the start of my journey and what follows next is all a mystery ConfusedApprove.

(Sorry it was written story-like I was letting my creative side out Wink)

Pictures coming soon! Thumbs Up

Edited by mcpapabling - 01 Oct 13 at 22:21
Proud Owner Of A Gambian Red MK1 Caddy. And The Entire 45BHP Under The Bonnet ;)
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/cookies-1988-caddy-build_topic82318.html
sandancer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 13 at 20:27

you wish you had a whole 45bhp on a 25 year old truck, more like 12, LOL, get some pics up, keep the story coming, make sure you are sitting down when you go for an insurance quote

mcpapabling View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcpapabling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 13 at 21:31
Some pictures! Thumbs Up

Damn I love the keys that come with the MK1's ShockedLOL

Black and white apparently, Whatever. Clap

Tailgate isn't in too bad condition for 25 years ShockedThumbs Up

Interior could do with a clean Wink

As you can see tailgate is a bit bent, expected, Bed isnt in too bad of a shape really no waves in the bed, only a couple of holes. Embarrassed

More pictures of other side of the Caddy. Smile

Love the crest on the steering wheel. Big smile

More pictures soon, iPad holds them all. 

Edited by mcpapabling - 01 Oct 13 at 21:48
Proud Owner Of A Gambian Red MK1 Caddy. And The Entire 45BHP Under The Bonnet ;)
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcpapabling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 13 at 21:34
Hahahaha Yeah you're probably about right lol Tongue Yeah pictures are not being my best friend right now Angry Gonna sort that out now I know whats going on... Phoned Aviva for a quote on a 17 year old driver for my truck and much to my surprise, They sent me a quote of £900 for a year fully comp! Thumbs Up

So this is how the truck sat on my drive the day I got it, from here on a few things happened... Confused

Edited by mcpapabling - 01 Oct 13 at 22:00
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 13 at 22:07
Welcome young fella me lad...I have a caddy as well as it happens..the crest on the whell is Wolfsburg castle in case you were not aware...odd really as the daddy's were built in Yugoslavia and legend has it the factory burnt down destroying the machinery...and that's why stuff like panels are so thin on the ground...

Good luck with it and hope you manage to avoid girls, drugs, beer, and all the other stuff that may get in the way of your project!

I'm off to look for girls drugs and beer...catch you later!
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcpapabling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 13 at 22:31
Hahaha, Yeah I was aware that it was the Wolfsburg crest. Smile Didn't know the facts about the factory though! Shocked You learn a little more everyday! Thumbs Up Hahaha getting in the way I think not, Making the project more interesting.. Yeeeeep! Wink LOL More pictures in a couple of minutes, iPad is Syncing now! Cool
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcpapabling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 13 at 00:14
Sorry about the wait (if anyone is waiting LOL) iPad decided to try update to iOS7 Angry And it did so successfully... Cry Ahh well a new OS cant be such a bad thing Confused.

Anyway, more pictures + progress! Embarrassed

Another picture of the bed from straight on. 

Cracked out the cockpit shine and gave it a good old clean, it needed it too! Big smile

Still haven't got used to having a clock in my dash rather than a rev counter. LOL

Giving the seats a good old shine too! Embarrassed

Cleaning the interior rubber flooring Wink.

Good Henry. Approve

So while I was cleaning I accidentally shut my passenger door too hard and something may have fallen off... Cry

Guessing the person who had it before me covered the entire floor in spray on rubber Angry Unless that's a factory thing? I don't think it is though? Wacko. Anyway for the mean time I gave it a clean.

Rubber would make sense because of the leak... Shocked

Had nothing better to do so I started to remove the rear bumper blocks. They don't look too good in my opinion... Dead

Close up.

Yes Ladies + Gents, that did indeed used to be a screw Angry But now its just a flat lump of metal... Drilling this one out. Confused

Any ideas of what I can do with these...? Geek

Looking better! Just need another one removed now. It appears someone welded the tow bar onto my bumper, angle grinder it is then! Big smile

That's all for tonight but will be uploading some more tomorrow! Big smile

Even if it is going to be a tough project I still got a free Land Rover tow hitch cover. LOL Wink

Goodnight everyone!
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcpapabling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 13 at 21:26
Sorry guys I would be updating tonight but I'm so tired I'm off to bed... Approve 

Cool picture of the Caddy Thumbs Up
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcpapabling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 13 at 21:07
Just another quick reply for now, but I have LOADS of progress to show the forum. Shocked

iPad is being a complete idiot so no pictures for now. Angry

However, I have made the decision to buy a sandblaster and the interior + dash are getting removed tomorrow! WinkThumbs Up 

Also I took a trip to go and see my old man and I was given a set of 17" Japanese Import alloys! ClapCool

Will post pictures tomorrow afternoon while I eat lunch! Tongue

Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcpapabling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 13 at 17:48
Wahey FINALLY got my iPad to work! Pictures for definite now! Thumbs Up
sandancer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 13 at 20:32
to get rid of your number plate lights, you can get the ones that screw into the numberplate
before and after the lettering, neat and tidy
guz View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 13 at 11:19
or mk1 micra number plate lights ?
location/moby number removed.
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcpapabling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 13 at 09:40
Thanks for the suggestions guys! :D I really like the idea of the ones inside the numberplate! Thumbs Up
guz View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 13 at 19:19
I think I've got a pair somewhere, cheap enough on ebay though.
location/moby number removed.
 Post Reply Post Reply