The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Water pump stuck! PLEASE HELP!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zedzedeleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 18 at 10:26
That official tool looks like it is made out of poor quality alloy.
1.9 85ps swb 2004 in friesan green.

bring me sunshine.
P38irl View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P38irl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 19 at 00:43
well i bit the bullet and dropped the engine this evening. 

[/QUOTE]

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 19 at 16:01
In the second pic it looks like the top bolt is still in the pump! Shocked  

2004 2.5 174
P38irl View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P38irl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 19 at 16:21
No buddy they are out.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 19 at 17:18
Oh good! Now you've got all that room, if you can get a big slide hammer and make up something to fit it to the pump shaft it should come out ok.  You will have to see if that damage to the gearbox casting is important or not.  Is it one of the bolt holes for the tin plate?
2004 2.5 174
P38irl View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P38irl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 19 at 17:32
the damaged part is only to hold the bolt for the tool, normally there is a plastic clip that holds a cable in place. not too worried. but you see the amount of force that has been applied to make that aluminium collapse like that. it mad. 

engine is now suspended from the water pump and been dowsed in penetrating fluid. i will leave it over night and see if i can get it to start loosening this way first. 

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 19 at 17:40
Maybe if your luck's in..  I once had an old 6 cyl Jag engine suspended overnight to get a cylinder head seized on its studs off and it never moved!  Good luck though. Smile   
2004 2.5 174
P38irl View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P38irl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 19 at 17:48
yeah if it doesent work i will drill in behind the casing to the eye of the pump and hit with a drift to see if i can get it moving 
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 19 at 18:56
Be careful not to damage where either of the seals sits and be sure no bits or swarf can fall inside! Before you start drilling or heating it might be worth bolting something under the nut and using a giant lever (4 or 5 feet long and not bendy) against a block of wood on the gearbox as I mentioned.  Always works if the bar is big enough. LOL   
2004 2.5 174
P38irl View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P38irl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 19 at 19:16
Well to say i had problems getting this pump out is an understatement. I spent 2 weeks and I almost threw in the towel, i spent days heating cooling trying to pull it out when eventually the shaft from the pump came out and i was left with just the race which i couldt cut. I ended up today welding a towing eye in to the race and using a highlift jack on the engine in an attempt to remove the pump. still no joy but under massive load i began to hit the eye with a hammer and the race began coming out with every strike. after removing the race i then cut through to the 2 10mm holes i drilled close to the wall of the pump housing and had to beat and break the pump out bit by bit. it was a horrible job and i really thought it had beaten me. 

after i removed the old pump i cleaned the rust from the inside of the pump housing using a die grinder and offered up the new pump and it seems to fit well. As the engine is out i will be doing a few small jobs and hope to have the engine in by next weekend

Look at the bend under load

All done
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 19 at 23:21

Well done P38IRL thumbs That was a bad one! I have only done a few 2.5 water pumps but I have always used my own basic tool (plus a good long bar). I had heard that the proper tool can break. When I retired I was asked several times if I wanted to part with my old home made tool which I had always leant to anyone that needed it. But I'm keeping it for as long as I have the van. I'm guessing that your problem is not unknown. 

If anyone wants to make one it's an old BMC engine hook thinned down a bit by the hole so that the nut on the pump shaft fits with the max amount of thread possible. The pump nut needs to be reversed so that the captive washer doesn't obstruct the tool. It ends up with 3/4 worth of the nut thread used which is enough to pull out the pump without stripping. The tool is stiffened up by a couple of welded corners. 

This gives you something solid with which to lever out the pump with a 4 foot bar and a block of wood to protect the gearbox. If you have the luxury of having the engine on the deck like P38IRL I'd go for a big slide hammer on it before getting really serious with grinding tools or heat. But whatever works for you is good. Smile 

2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12