The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Water pump stuck! PLEASE HELP!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeekim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water pump stuck! PLEASE HELP!!
    Posted: 03 Sep 13 at 11:11
Hello all, I have a 2005 T28 2.5 and it was showing signs of the dreaded water pump problem which I have read about on here.  Over the course of several weeks I had to top up the coolant (no change to oil levels or crap under filler cap).

Any how I checked it into my local VW to get the pump looked at and changed.  This was a week ago, since then they have tried everything at their disposal to get the pump out to no avail.  Initially it bent the correct VW removal tool, they have left it under pressure over night, removed the transmission to get better access,  applied some sort of chemical to remove rust, still with no joy.  They believe somehow because the coolant was not draining it backed up causing corrosion which has fused the pump to the engine block.

At this stage now they have raised a technical problem with VW UK because they do not know what else to do apart from replacing the engine at great cost to me.  We are waiting for them to reply?  I can imagine they will try to reject any responsibility due to the age of the vehicle.

The other element to this problem is I am living in Italy.  Although I trust the VW garage in question (as they did a 6000 euro insurance repair on the van already for me) is there an easy fix here?

Does anyone know of any other method to remove such a heavily corroded pump?

Has anyone else suffered this problem?

At this stage any advise would be greatly appreciated?

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by mikeekim - 04 Sep 13 at 03:41
Liquidfreak View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 13 at 13:42
Lots and lots of Plus Gas. This has been a saviour to me for getting most of the items of my van. Unfortunately VW seem to have used bolts made of cheese, heads of bolts easily strip and they really like to weld themselves in and snap before giving.

Best of luck with it. 
2004 VW T5 Panel Van T30 2.5 130 AXD Engine
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 13 at 14:26
^^  WHS + HEAT
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 13 at 14:39
^^ general heat to the engine, then a shot of really cold to the pump itself (liquid nitrogen ?).  Being very careful not to "cold burn" the person doing it.

Failing that drill multiple holes in the pump itself until it is mostly holes then chisel out the remainder (carefully).

I don't recall reading about this as a common problem.

Edited by gregozedobe - 03 Sep 13 at 14:41
mikeekim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeekim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 13 at 14:47
Cheers for the advice and luck!
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 13 at 14:52
I think at this stage the workshop manual goes out the window.

With older things, big hole saw and drill the center out. Then a recep saw and put three cuts carefully though what is left of the pump and the good old hammer and chisel to tap out what is left.

Clean the living day lights out of the seating and a bit of PTFE lub for the new one so no repeat performance.

Good luck.
mikeekim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeekim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 13 at 14:58
Mrhutch, what do you mean by WHS?

Gregozdobe I meant the common problem with the waterpump needing to be repaced on the T5.  There is lots of information on this if you search google.  There is also lots of threads about it on this forum, see this link:

Edited by mikeekim - 03 Sep 13 at 15:12
mikeekim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeekim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 13 at 15:04

Thanks a lot gents.

BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 13 at 17:10
Originally posted by mikeekim mikeekim wrote:

Mrhutch, what do you mean by WHS?

WHS stands for What He Said, and the arrows ^^^ mean the post above.
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
mikeekim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeekim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 13 at 17:44
Dohh, nice one thanks.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 13 at 23:38
I'm with Alonline.  If the official tool fails it's down to someone with experience.  Any fool can use heat or force but the skill of experience is to use them sensibly.
2004 2.5 174
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 13 at 17:40
Originally posted by mikeekim mikeekim wrote:

Gregozdobe I meant the common problem with the waterpump needing to be repaced on the T5.  There is lots of information on this if you search google.  There is also lots of threads about it on this forum, see this link:

Because you said:
Quote  Does anyone know of any other method to remove such a heavily corroded pump?
Has anyone else suffered this problem? 
I thought you were referring to the difficulty you were having removing the water pump on your van.  I'm very aware that water pump failure is an all-too-common problem with VW's R5 motors.  

In fact I've contributed to many of the threads on here about it, including the different treatment that T5 owners received compared with Touareg owners.  All Touaregs got an out-of-warranty free replacement campaign, while T5 owners mostly had to pay themselves unless their dealer was very, very nice and argued with VW head office on their behalf.
mikeekim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeekim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 13 at 19:23
Hello Greg, straight after I posted that response to you I put two and two together and notice your username coming up in so many of the posts relating to this and many other tech problems on here.  Excuse my ignorance.

There is still no light at the end of the tunnel with getting this pump out.  I forwarded this thread to the mechanics at the garage for them to look at and they still cannot remove the pump.

They are planning on dropping the engine to get better access.

This is becoming a nightmare!!

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 13 at 00:30
No problems Mike.  

If your van has been regularly serviced by an official VW dealer it might be worth asking them to approach VW for a "goodwill" contribution to fixing this, as it should be relatively straight forward job to replace a water pump.
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 13 at 00:44

VW Goodwill? never seen sight nor sound of thisConfused
My experience is, you bought it Mug! You want what!LOL

You can ask but that lighting bolt/pot of gold has never landed near us and all the wagons have a full VW dealer service history.

Its a battle to get them to fix the door that fell off a 2 week old wagon, fix the bad paint work once, and now going back again to get the paint work fixed again, (all paint work done at VW approved paint shop, tossers Agnews)

Sorry meds wearing off.

P38irl View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P38irl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 18 at 16:06
Hi, any update to this stuck water pump? I'm in exactly the same boat. Even cracked the removal tool. Doest seem to want to budge.

mikeekim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeekim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 18 at 18:14
Hello p38irl,

Afraid sounds similar to me, the removal tool broken and the water pump wouldn’t budge because it had part corroded and seized onto the engine block.

It was some years ago now and I no longer have this van. From memory the vw garage I took it to ended up removing the engine soaking the pump in penetrating oil and suspending the engine from it until it eventually came free. Wasn’t cheap afraid.

Hope yours come free easier, fingers crossed ther must be a better solution!

P38irl View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P38irl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 18 at 09:01
Thanks Karen for getting back to me. I am in the fortune position that I have a decent workshop with a lift so if it comes to it I will take the engine out mysslf. BUT I've never taken an engine out before so that would make it interesting.

Last question, the pump is not locked in by the engine in any way? I see the instructions to manually crank the engine but that's only to get the cog off the pump right? After that remove the 2 bolts and the pump should pull out?
P38irl View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P38irl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 18 at 09:02
Sorry I see predictive text added in the name "Karen" 😂😂😂
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 18 at 22:13
Yes, just remove the gear and then take the pump bolts out. I haven't got the official tool but I made my own up. Mine fits under the central nut for the gear and then you use a big bar. (a really big bar!) The pumps can be very tight. I use a four foot lever with a block of wood as a fulcrum (and to avoid marking the gearbox) which levers the pump out. It ain't pretty but it works!

Edited by T5 TDI - 16 Dec 18 at 22:34
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>