The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1.9 PD Westfalia Atlantic with flipped Passat box
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1.9 PD Westfalia Atlantic with flipped Passat box

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andypandy1930 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 14 at 20:42
As Chris said really good to meet you Keith and thanks for the run out the van is bloody quick and rattle free and as Chris says using the cable change really works roll on no more porridge box. Love those rims as well Keith

Edited by andypandy1930 - 15 Feb 14 at 17:57
Kent Joker View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kent Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 14 at 17:02
Thanks guys glad you got to have a go in it, I'm sure you will get yours sorted,

Mines back with Mario after Dubfreeze for some more bits and peace's
so looking forward to a busy show season this year, hope to catch up at some point.
Keith

1990 PD TDI Westy Atlantic
fufflenarnia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 14 at 10:56
I too have been for a drive in Kieths van and given it a thorough inspection. I couldn't find fault with the workmanship, and it has transformed an old rattler into something which can easilly keep up with any of today's cars.

If my conversion turns out to be anywhere near as good I will be a very happy man, my budget is dramatically smaller than yours!
tennis View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 14 at 11:57
Looks stunning Mazz.
Foursprings Dutch Picnic
Add View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Add Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 14 at 22:26
Wow ..... my daily Toledo 130PD is looking very worried now :)
'84 T3 Metal Tour Bus
     \m/ >,< \m/

'92 Polo Bready for Sale
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kent Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 14 at 14:00
A year on and a bit of an update, if you saw this post the first time round, so the best part of 10,000 miles later, still blown away by how well sorted my bus is. We managed to get a fair bit of use in the last 12 months and on one trip down to southern Austria in the summer we had to get back in a bit of a hurry and did a shade over a 1000 miles at 90mph and only stopped for fuel! more recently we went to Lake Annecy and did another 1200 mile round trip, I have just had to replace the drive shaft couplings I guess there a bit unhappy with the extra BHP but the flipped box is still working perfectly without any issues, It did go back to Mario for a few weeks over the winter and had a diff changed, the gearing was slightly to tall, Had brake upgraded all round while it was there and now stops like it goes, detailed engine bay for good measure lost all the old unused holes and clips so look more factory than ever.
Being that mine was the prototype it was never a sure thing but as early diesel bits get harder to source and more expensive, engine choice is going to get harder, if you want to keep your bus on the road for the long term and fancy something a bit special this is surely has to be worth thinking about.

Edited by Kent Joker - 10 Sep 14 at 19:18
Keith

panalvan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panalvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 14 at 14:46
Hi Keith glad your van is going well we have just left annecy was a great place for a holiday
Chris
rendersonique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rendersonique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 14 at 14:18
Any ball park figures yet for a conversion like this?
youthy giblets View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youthy giblets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 14 at 22:36
6-8k I would guesstimate??
rendersonique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rendersonique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 14 at 09:53
Originally posted by youthy giblets youthy giblets wrote:

6-8k I would guesstimate??

Gulp Confused . Maybe a little out of my price range LOL
Scimdiesel View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scimdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 14 at 10:35
It sounds like a huge amount of cash but... Time is money and as more of these conversions happen the less bespoke conversions will be.   Further more if you have a real nice westy, you love it's retro charm but practically you'd like to cruise across continents like your in a t5 something has got to give.   A nice t5 conversion with the t5 faults is going to set you back '£€$¥. Maybe the conversion costs are not so bad and after a few years your investement may not have decreased in values as much as the T5 alternative... Personally I'm to tight so I'll stick to the slow lane...:)
Without engineers science is just philosophy..... Joined the revolution with a 18 year old TDI :
danozeman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danozeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 14 at 22:16
Nice work. Looks fantastic!!   I am now embarking on fitting a 130pd in my bus. Is the turbo and manifold standard at 50'?

Will the engine mount bar be available on its own?

Edited by danozeman - 25 Nov 14 at 22:16
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 14 at 23:39
you need to speak to steve fufflenarnia..  

I've seen both Keiths and Steves busses and they are both top notch...
and that comes from a diesel hater..  
reluctantly..

T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
danozeman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danozeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 13:09

Iv been speaking to steve hutch.  His is 15'.  Im going with that as the parts are stock.  Not sure i want a raised engine hatch though to get my ground clearance.

fufflenarnia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 13:21
Pinch an inch - it will make all the difference!
willowreilly View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willowreilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 14 at 00:10
I managed to fit my afn at 15 degrees and I did not have to modify engine cover. My bus is also lowered 50 mm . I've no ground clearance issues... It can be done..
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 14 at 08:50
Originally posted by willowreilly willowreilly wrote:

I managed to fit my afn at 15 degrees and I did not have to modify engine cover. My bus is also lowered 50 mm . I've no ground clearance issues... It can be done..

Do you have a build thread we could all see of your conversion. I'm sure that there are many bus owners that would like to learn more about what is involved in a 15 degree engine install.

Tim.
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kent Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 15 at 20:57
So another year on and still running sweet, didn’t get quite as much use as last year but still done 5k in the last 12 months, dropped the gear box oil in the summer and no sign of anything untoward not so much as a single fleck of metal so don’t expect any real problems with the box, the motor still pulls like a train and purrs along at 80mph, with good mpg.

Edited by Kent Joker - 09 Sep 15 at 19:52
Keith

VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 15 at 09:51
Great news Keith. I'm glad to hear that things are still going well with your conversion.

There seems to be more and more interest in fitting PD engines these days as the donor cars are becoming cheaper. I'm sure your thread will be an inspiration to others.

Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kent Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 15 at 21:08
Thanks Tim I hope so, not much wrong with the passat box, as long as you get the shift sorted, it's hard to imagine a t3 box coping with 15,000 fast miles and 300 Nm in a heavy bus

Edited by Kent Joker - 24 Oct 15 at 17:46
Keith

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>