The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Wheel help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is this enough clearance?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StvC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this enough clearance?
    Posted: 28 Jul 13 at 18:54
Please tell me this is as perfect as I think it is?
Die Deutsche Doppelkabine ist sehr gut. 150bhp planned
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 13 at 18:59
Its.close, what rims are they?
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

StvC View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StvC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 13 at 19:02

Intra! ;-) 8J 20 offset. Rears are 9J. Might have to shave the lip but not expecting to roll. Couldn't believe how well they fitted - just hoping I haven't missed something in the info sections to rule this out.

max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 13 at 19:33
Should be ok as if the wheel were to move that distance summat terrible has already happened....as long as the tyre is clear of everything I recon your ok there meself..
StvC View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StvC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 13 at 19:48
Cool, camera a little twisted as well, there's more clearance than that I'd say at lest 3-4mm :-)
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 13 at 19:54
Be reet...3b passats run close as standard...put the balance weights in the wrong spot and they hit the calipers!...
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 13 at 21:06
Originally posted by max and caddy max and caddy wrote:

Be reet...3b passats run close as standard...put the balance weights in the wrong spot and they hit the calipers!...

them o/z's did that! I thought I buckled em!Embarrassed
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 13 at 21:12
Carats on early vans do it too!!
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

tontoe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tontoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 13 at 21:18
Ste they will be fine my cup 1s have about the same gap between the top arm and wheel . we need a side shotLOLLOL
LIFE IS JUST A GAME WE PLAY
CAMPERJAM TUG OF WAR TUGGER
StvC View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StvC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 13 at 21:40
Gotta put some paint on the wheels first. Thinking charcoal.
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 13 at 23:31
  is the van lowered at the moment?  the very tip of the upper wish bone is the bit to worry about, best way to tell is to jack up with a trolly jack on the underside of the lower suspension arm rather than having the suspension at full extention.

are they 16 or 17"
being intra and looking at the pic im thinking 17?

8x17 et 20 will be fine.. normaly an 8x17 needs et 30 - et 28  on the front

WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
StvC View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StvC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 13 at 00:21
18 T3. The 80-90 wiki's wheel write up made me choose them in the hope I clear it ok. I had the axle stand under the axle, would that not drop the suspension?
It did seem that the Bilstein jack even on the back mount seemed to jack the whole side up a bit though so maybe it was skewed.

Need some rubber on I guess and put it on the ground. I think it'll be real tight but clearance in arches seems ok I think with 45s possibly 50 profile tyres on lock.
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 13 at 00:52

8x18 et 20?
if so it will be close-ish to the arch lip.  tyre size will be the key.

i had 8.5 x 18  et20 genuine  RS4 (before all the cheap copy rims came along..lol)  on a t3
on a standard hight t3 with 235 40 18 front tyres it was ok. but with some weight in it things got closer.
 225 45 18 would probably be best on the front.
225 40 are not sold in a high enough load rating for a t3.

i have seen 215 55 18 used too but starts to get a little large in overall diameter / rolling radius on a lowered van.  then a 235 50 18 used on the back. these can be found in 100 load ratings, well enough for a t3.

Edited by T3ADICT - 29 Jul 13 at 00:53
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
StvC View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StvC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 13 at 00:59
So my half a j less should be sweet with et 20. Rears are 9J but looking to go big for gearing (although I may be screwed for power bands until I get a new engine. 1.6cs currently *eek*.
So can you not get 225/50/18s much? 45 is fine if not.

Not lowered yet that's the next bit, I'd like to go 70 really but need to understand the camber adjustment in the flesh really. Can't wait tbh it's a PITA clambering in and out of stock ride height, can't be good hanging 15 stone of the steering wheel all the time.

StvC View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StvC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 13 at 01:16
Just seen your 18" AMG rims on the Doka from your for sale ad, what's the drop you're running on those? Lovely.
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 13 at 21:58
Originally posted by StvC StvC wrote:

Gotta put some paint on the wheels first. Thinking charcoal.

Better not put too much on or it will be off.

Some pics when finished!
StvC View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StvC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 13 at 23:24
Of course, they're in paint now. Just gotta get some longer studs for rear...oh and some tyres! Doh!
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 13 at 00:31
Need medsWacko
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 13 at 15:24
I thought the minimum 'accepted' clearance was 6mm?

As an aside, I ran Intra 18x8.5J on a ET34 and always wished for 8J's... the I swapped to 17x7.5J ET34 and still needed to run a 3mm spacer because of the smaller diameter. That said, both rims made contact between the tyres and arches on full lock across camber, but after I replaced the -70mm springs with -50mm it was all good :)
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 13 at 16:40
Thats loads more clearsnce than i have on mine
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>