The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear Brake Pressure Regulator/Booster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 13 at 18:50
I'm good on that score thanks.  All the pressure ratings etc are in the Haynes manual which I have.
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 13 at 20:19
Oh,i also have a Haynes manual and i had not noticed this before. Time to compare !
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 13 at 10:54
Hi had a look, the haynes gives the bar pressure in measurement comparison but VW give values for axle load's,ok haynes would seem the easiest method but what if your shocks are worn and weak or say one good and the other 60% worn so your van sitting to one side would this not give you a wrong reading ?
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 13 at 12:30
Is the problem in getting a new master cylinder? If so, I cross referenced the VW number to a Delphi and found they are available from a number of UK dealers for around 115BP. Or maybe I missed something and rebuilding is desired.Confused. I'm working on cross referencing other parts.

Delphi LM45211

Edited by Canada LT28 - 15 Sep 13 at 12:35
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 13 at 14:03
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 13 at 14:14
Originally posted by Canada LT28 Canada LT28 wrote:

Is the problem in getting a new master cylinder? If so, I cross referenced the VW number to a Delphi and found they are available from a number of UK dealers for around 115BP. Or maybe I missed something and rebuilding is desired.Confused. I'm working on cross referencing other parts.

Delphi LM45211

It's not the master cylinder, it's the brake pressure regulator also called the brake booster on vagcat.  The clues in the thread title Wink

I bought one the other week after reading your post.  Don't need one and maybe in the future I won't.  But I thought that about the regulator and now can't buy one.  Once bitten and all that.  For the price you can't go wrong.  It's not like it will decrease in value as they get harder to source LOL
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 13 at 17:33

I've been spending!  I have worked on cars and bikes for just over 25 years but never made a brake pipe.  So I had to buy a flaring tool and pipe bender.  Managed to pick up a NOS pressure regulator for the bargain price of £35.  The part number is 1H0612151C.  It's fitted to a number of different VW's and Seat's.  I didn't know until after I bought this one that some are pressure sensitive and others are load sensitive.  Luckily I bought a load sensitive one.

My plan is to measure the position of the regulator arm from a fixed position on the chassis.  Then cut the pipes to release the pressure and measure the travel of the regulator arm from the same point.  I can then work out how far in the travel the regulator is.  For example if the measurement I get is 175mm when connected and the travel measurements are from 100mm to 200mm.  I will then know that the regulator is set at 75%.

I'll put the new regulator as near as possible to the original's position and also take measurements of the regulator arm at maximum and minimum.  Then connect it up and bleed it.  After that I will set the spring up so that the arm is in the same percentage of travel position as the original.  If the new regulator has more travel (which I suspect it does) I'll increase the percentage slightly so that it is fully open at approximately the same time as the original.

My main concern is the spring rate.  The regulator's are obviously designed to work with a certain size spring.  From looking on Vagcat the size of the spring on the car is a lot smaller than the one on LT's. 

I found a thread about lowered Golf's which have regulator's.  When the Golf's are lowered they have to adjust the regulator.  Otherwise the back braking force is too great and the back of the car can swing out under braking on corners etc.  They have altered the regulator by stretching the spring in a jack.  I could try this method if the spring rate is too great.  I don't fancy having to try and fit a smaller spring because the one on the van is quite an odd looking size.  I don't think finding replacement's will be easy.

What does everybody think?  Do you think my reasoning is sound or have I missed something blindingly obvious?

Edited by volition82 - 05 Oct 13 at 17:43
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 13 at 19:40
Good luck with all that.

I pushed a relay into position for the indicators today.Ermm
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 13 at 19:49
Originally posted by LTCamper89 LTCamper89 wrote:

Good luck with all that.

I pushed a relay into position for the indicators today.Ermm

LOLLOLLOL

Been meaning to ask.  I remember you were looking for work a while back and then got a job.  I can't remember what it was (or didn't know)?  Is it going well?
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 13 at 20:28
Thank you for asking, all is well.Thumbs Up

I got a call to return to a place I had left just over seventeen years ago, a while after Littl'un was born. Mainly I am welding , plastic, asbestos removal units. Most are NPU, negative pressure unit, and the rest are water tank type, either for soaking the asbestos or supplying the shower rooms.

It is not for an agile mind, so I do go auto and loose track of time, but there is no pressure, just making boxes out of plastic. I am thoroughly enjoying it, three days a week at my request, overtime when I fancy it, and I offered to cover holidays, which they THANKED ME FOR!!!.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 13 at 21:11
I remember that you were struggling to find work for a bit.  Good to hear you found some and have the added bonus of enjoying it! 

I've found that when your a skilled worker you do tend to be treated better.  The amount of work you want, more if needed (for more toys!) can't be bad.

Out of interest when you plastic weld do you use a filler rod or is it done just by heat?
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 13 at 07:09
Both, and then extrusion too.
Probably a shorter off topic answer would be hard to find, but you did ask.Wink

Edited by LTCamper89 - 06 Oct 13 at 07:16

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 13 at 08:58
I've always wondered how you plastic weld having been a metal welder (mig and mma) myself.  But then I am a nosey bugger LOL
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 13 at 09:41
I did actually do a longer reply, then the pictures did not show properly so I scrapped it.

YouTube has variuos videos which, if you can tolerate the blather, will give you a good idea of how it works.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 13 at 10:18
LOLLOLLOL The music on the first video.

It was interesting though.  I would imagine it's the type of job which is harder than it looks and there's a lot more to it than you first think.  Knowing your settings for different plastics etc.  Thanks for that Thumbs Up
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 13 at 11:25
It used to be something different every day, but now it is a little more production line, due simply to the priorities of the company. They are still doing filter fillers of which I did the first, and the jigs appear to have lasted well too.

I put these up when I was touting, but I noticed that four of the twelve jobs have CNCd components, the rest were all done by hand. ?Could be a competition?

I keep meaning to get some more on PBucket, it is not until you start looking back that you see what you could/can actually do. Loving making things again.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 13 at 19:54

Loving making things again.

That's what I liked about the welding and fabricating.  My trouble was working in structural steel, 99% of the jobs were standard buildings.  Once you have made one column and rafter you have made them all.  The tested welding and more complicated or difficult work I enjoyed.  The rest just got on my t**s LOL

You have made some impressive things there.  Quite a variety as well, which is good.  Got to ask, why would anybody want a plastic piano? 

I replaced the shoes and drums today.  Also checked my pressure regulator was working ok which it was.  Part of me thinks why bother when you have a working one.  But I know I'll regret not doing it and it will fail at the most inconvenient time. 

Also worked out where I'm going to cut the pipes etc to make life as easy as possible.  Going to cut the brake pipes on the rear axle after the T piece and back from the regulator where they run under the floor.  Doing it that way they are easy to get to and if things go wrong I can put it back to standard easily.

A couple of pictures of the regulator so people can have a better idea of what's going on and being done.

You can see the adjustment for the spring on the raised bit of the diff which is in the middle setting.  With the adjustment on the new regulator as well hopefully it should be enough and save having to mess around changing or bodging the spring.

Edited by volition82 - 06 Oct 13 at 20:03
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 13 at 06:07
Originally posted by volition82 volition82 wrote:

Loving making things again.

Got to ask, why would anybody want a plastic piano? 

A company in Washington restored, and also sold new, pianos and they wanted something to make the industrial unit stand out for customers. 

It was painted gold after we were done.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 13 at 08:03

they wanted something to make the industrial unit stand out for customers. 

It was painted gold after we were done.

That will do it LOL
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 13 at 17:32
It was also above the canopy over the front door.

Difficult to miss.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>