The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > South African T3s
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Emissions Test post 1992 Vehicles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitch993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Emissions Test post 1992 Vehicles
    Posted: 28 Jun 13 at 23:26

Each year at Mot time, I always have the same debate with the tester about the emissions test. He always trys to perform the test for catalyst equipped vehicle, my bus is a year 2000 with no Catalytic converter fitted, I alway manage talk him into doing the 'Non - catalyst metered check' (the test that its always had done). He says I should have a Catalytic converter fitted!!! Im sure its not as simple as that? (lambda sensor/ECU etc).

Has anybody had the same problems? Can we carry on getting away with the non cat test?
Regards Paul
Paul Mitchell, SA 2.6 microbus
Wychall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wychall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 13 at 09:42
A quick check of the MOT regs provides this work-round

The vehicle will be tested according to its age from first use-The only exemption to this is if the vehicle owner can present to the tester at time of test a letter from the vehicle manufacturer stating that the particular engine as originally installed could not meet the equivalent British emission standards. If this is the case, then test to the next lower emission standard.
e.g. A 1995 car first used in Africa has a letter from the engine manufacturer stating that the particular engine (engine number to be stated) cannot meet Catalyst emission limits, then use the pre cat limits of CO 3.5%, HC )200ppm.
This text appears on the following web site, just a couple of inches down under Personal Imports.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_730.htm

Not ideal 'cus I think you will have fun trying to get VWSA to play ball with a letter!

South African 1991 2.5i 5cyl Microbus - virgin, not campered - piloted by Brian.
mitch993 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitch993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 13 at 11:41
Thanks for that, Ill print the web page and have a chat with my Mot guy Thumbs Up
As you say, i dont think there's much chance of getting a letter from VWSA (or does anybody know different?)
Thanks again - Paul
Paul Mitchell, SA 2.6 microbus
 Post Reply Post Reply