The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LEZ clasification of Multivan help please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *BISH* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LEZ clasification of Multivan help please
    Posted: 12 Jun 13 at 13:09
Hello good people

Im looking to buy a diesel T3 Bluestar/Whitestar or similar multivan soon, and I`m a bit confused over the low emision zone and in need of advice. The bus will be mainly for pleasure, but may have to take me into London for work occasionaly, as I work for TFL myself on the London Underground.

I have looked at the TFL website, and think that I have discovered that the diesel T3 Multivan is exempt due to the fact that it is under 2500kgs and/or under a 9 seater? Is that correct?

BUT, when I put the registration number in of a Whitestar I have found for sale, it comes up NON compliant!? Whats the deal?

So, can I buy a diesel confident in the knowledge I will not have to bolt expensive filters on, or be robbed of £100 if I stray into the zone?!

Anybody run a T3 diesel Mutivan in an around London?

Thanks for any help.

Bish. Big smile
Aspo13 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aspo13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 13 at 15:03
Don't worry!

I had the same problem with my T4 Caravelle. I spoke to TfL and you can download a form and apply for it to be exempt.

It may not need it but because my velle had had a previous 'working' life round London it had managed to get caught in the reg's. 

Form doesn't cost anything and they'll even let you email it back Thumbs Up. I had to take a few photos as well to prove that its a 7 seater.

Last bit of advice; don't try to find the forms on the website it will take ages, just phone up and get them to direct you to where they are. Number on my letter from them was 0845 607 0009.

Hope this helps
Drop in late but show up early
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 13 at 15:27
It's a bit of a gamble how long it'll be exempt for - that's why I ended up opting for a petrol Bluestar...

But for the time being, it may be the simple fact that your V5 has the word TRANSPORTER (or similar) instead of MINIBUS?
*BISH* View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *BISH* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 13 at 16:09
Originally posted by Aspo13 Aspo13 wrote:

Don't worry!

I had the same problem with my T4 Caravelle. I spoke to TfL and you can download a form and apply for it to be exempt.

It may not need it but because my velle had had a previous 'working' life round London it had managed to get caught in the reg's. 

Form doesn't cost anything and they'll even let you email it back Thumbs Up. I had to take a few photos as well to prove that its a 7 seater.

Last bit of advice; don't try to find the forms on the website it will take ages, just phone up and get them to direct you to where they are. Number on my letter from them was 0845 607 0009.

Hope this helps

Cheers for that!
*BISH* View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *BISH* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 13 at 16:18
Originally posted by chris7ian chris7ian wrote:

It's a bit of a gamble how long it'll be exempt for - that's why I ended up opting for a petrol Bluestar...

But for the time being, it may be the simple fact that your V5 has the word TRANSPORTER (or similar) instead of MINIBUS?

Cheers.

I will check the V5 of any van I may buy when I view it then.  I take it that;

Minibus = compliant  
 Transporter = non compliant

I had a 2.1 petrol Bluestar myself which was a great bus, but I cant seem to find one at the moment, maybe I will hang on for a petrol. But I do like the idea of the diesels mpg.

Thanks again.
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 13 at 18:50
Mine is exept. Diesel Bluestar.

I'd rather not go to London than have to go in a Petrol

Mine is classed as an MPV if that makes any diffference. 

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
*BISH* View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *BISH* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 13 at 20:40
Cheers T3.

Its all about the classification on the log book then!

chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 13 at 22:57
Originally posted by *BISH* *BISH* wrote:

Originally posted by chris7ian chris7ian wrote:

Cheers.

I will check the V5 of any van I may buy when I view it then.  I take it that;

Minibus = compliant  
 Transporter = non compliant

I had a 2.1 petrol Bluestar myself which was a great bus, but I cant seem to find one at the moment, maybe I will hang on for a petrol. But I do like the idea of the diesels mpg.

Thanks again.

Try an petrol auto then! Shocked
I'd love a nice strong diesel, but the whole LEZ worried me. Bloody London!! LOL
It should be fairly easy to have the V5 classification corrected - after all, it's not a commercial vehicle it's a standard passenger car

Edited by chris7ian - 12 Jun 13 at 22:58
dubmaster77 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubmaster77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 13 at 23:24
LPG ain't it!! Stinky diesels!
Aspo13 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aspo13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 13 at 08:46
I wouldn't worry about the DVLA classification for the LEZ. My T4 velle (2.5tdi) is classed as a minibus and I looked at getting it changed on the V5. DVLA wanted me to get confirmation from VW that the bus is not a 'minibus' so it was all going to get a bit long-winded.

When I spoke to the LEZ they were very understanding and just asked me to provide a couple of photos of the interior and the exterior to confirm number of seats and the overall size of the vehicle.

They have the ability to exempt individual vehicles so it was a lot quicker than waiting for VW & the DVLA.

Just ring them, 5 minute phone call, 10 minutes to take pics and attach them to the email as a pdf and then 10 minutes to complete the form. Mine was sorted and the response rec'd within a week. 
Drop in late but show up early
*BISH* View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *BISH* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 13 at 14:41
Originally posted by Aspo13 Aspo13 wrote:

I wouldn't worry about the DVLA classification for the LEZ. My T4 velle (2.5tdi) is classed as a minibus and I looked at getting it changed on the V5. DVLA wanted me to get confirmation from VW that the bus is not a 'minibus' so it was all going to get a bit long-winded.

When I spoke to the LEZ they were very understanding and just asked me to provide a couple of photos of the interior and the exterior to confirm number of seats and the overall size of the vehicle.

They have the ability to exempt individual vehicles so it was a lot quicker than waiting for VW & the DVLA.

Just ring them, 5 minute phone call, 10 minutes to take pics and attach them to the email as a pdf and then 10 minutes to complete the form. Mine was sorted and the response rec'd within a week. 

Lovely, thanks for that.

I`m calming down about it all now, it shouldnt be a problem at the moment then. But it maybe a case of how long will any early`ish diesel engine, regardless of vehicle, be exempt before TFL change the rules again?

Looking on the positive side, another rule change may be all the excuse I need to go TDI or Subaru powered later on. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply