The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Solar Panels????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floridaboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar Panels????
    Posted: 01 Jun 13 at 20:14
Hi All

Has anyone got a solar panel on their van, care to share pics etc....? Are they any good in the real world?

I'm interested in fitting one, but don't know whats the best way to go....

Thanks in advance.

Chris
1990 LT31 Florida 2.4TD
rowiandasa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowiandasa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 13 at 08:38
Hi Floridaboy,

We have a large Solar Panel (sorry unsure of the wattage) which was fitted by the previous owners. It is rigged up as a standalone system with the split charge relay disconnected so the leisure battery is only charged by the Solar system. We only have a small 90amp leisure battery and have had no problems at all even in winter with the propex system going.

Not sure how to go about keeping the split charge system and running it along side the solar system. Often thought about doing this by was worried about the alternator blowing the solar charge control unit.

Here are some pics of mine;

Wish the panel had been fitted further forward to allow a roof rack to be fitted but never mind!

and the control unit;

1986 LT31 LWB High Top Diamond RV 6cly Diesel

volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 13 at 18:04
I've got a 80w solar panel on mine charging two 110amp leisure batteries.  I was surprised how much power it supplies.  This time of year you would have to be a heavy user to run the batteries dry.  I'm living in the van and I can easily watch 2- 4 hours of tv or computer (both 12v), run lights, the water pump etc every day and not run the batteries anywhere near flat.  I still do a 12 hours 240v charge every 2-4 weeks though to keep the batteries in good condition.

I don't run a fridge though.  If I did I'm sure I would have to get another or bigger panel.  In the winter with running the propex heater I had to be careful not to use the tv to much and I had to charge the batteries roughly every week because they would be flat or nearly flat.

I got my panel and controller from these people who I've found to be very good.

It's better quality stuff than most.  I've only got the cheap panel they do because at the time they didn't stock the bosch panels.  I would recommend getting them instead of the cheaper no brand ones.

I had to fit my panel length ways across the width of the van due to access a roof box and the water heater flue.  It would have created less wind drag fit like rowiandisa's.  You can get spoilers to reduce the drag not that I think it would make a massive difference on our brick's LOL
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
windysurfer View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windysurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 13 at 18:48
Got two fitted to mine (180w in total) linked to a MPPT controller

Works really well, I haven't used a electric hook up since I fitted them.

panel

controller

floridaboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floridaboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 13 at 19:14
Looks good Guys

Might give it a go, prepare for stupid questions!

Keep the pics coming....

Chris
1990 LT31 Florida 2.4TD
volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 13 at 19:42
Sorry a little bit of a high jack of the thread.

How does everybody else draw power from the batteries?  Do you run it through the solar controller by connecting up the load terminals or draw it direct from the batteries and leave the load connections on the solar controller empty?
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 13 at 13:15
I do all my loads direct from the batteries. The controller is typically a charge controller and not associated with the load other than monitoring the battery voltage.

Bosch is now out of the PV manufacturing biz (IIRC) as is almost all German companies. Can't compete with the chinese unless there is some regs that force you to buy domestic.

We have FIT program in Ontario that is under fire from the WTO because it states that 60% of the system must be made here. China and Europe don't like it.

Edited by Canada LT28 - 04 Jun 13 at 13:15
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
drdotpepper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drdotpepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 13 at 22:30
Great post!
I have one question, and my question is simple (excuse my lack of electrical knowledge). In our van we have 2 leisure batteries, would solar be a wise option? Unless i'm mistaken, the solar would charge up the 2 leisure batteries during the day, but we would be driving most days and the kinetic force would charge them both too? What's the advantage here? Not having to drive around to charge up the batts, being able to use equipment during the day?
We have 2 quite hungry laptops.. am wondering if installing solar would be beneficial over the occasional campsite.

Sorry for the long and nonsensical message, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Rich
1985 VW LT31 2.4 Diesel Diamond RV.

Illustrator/p1$$ artist
http://drdotpepper.blogspot.co.uk/
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 13 at 22:48
Originally posted by drdotpepper drdotpepper wrote:

but we would be driving most days and the kinetic force would charge them both too

ConfusedI would love to know the answer to that one.

A turbine would help while driving, but you do have an alternator.Wink

Seriously though, thinking about solar too.Thumbs Up
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 13 at 11:56
The alternator will put out much more power than solar panels - for example a 65 amp alternator is 910 watts and the 90 amp unit is 1260 watts. Comparing maximum figures (as you will rarely get the full output from either solar panels or the alternator (unless you rev it to the red line all the time!) an hour or so of driving is going to give the same sort of top up as an 80 watt panel charging all day. If you are certain you will drive around each day then I wouldn't bother with solar, but if you are not sure of either driving or a hook up, then solar will give a bit of flexibility and redundancy (you're relying on your laptops for work after all...)
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 13 at 12:36
Remember also that solar panels charge at around 17vdc and the alternator does not so the systems need to be kept separated. It is more a question of how much time will be spent without the motor running. An 80 watt panel isn't much these days when you can get 200w+ on a 12v panel. When I get ready to put panels on the DOKA they will be (2)250w+ but they will be charging at 37vdc, basically a home system for the truck.
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
drdotpepper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drdotpepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 13 at 19:27
cheers guys, yeah i thought solar might be a bit of overkill for us, i think the plan is to keep the van moving (within reason).
Seeing the solar panels made me think it could be complete self-sufficiency deal, but an hours driving sounds a bit more preferable.

I think we'll factor in campsites for our work charges! haha. imagine that on an invoice!
1985 VW LT31 2.4 Diesel Diamond RV.

Illustrator/p1$$ artist
http://drdotpepper.blogspot.co.uk/
ringonotts View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringonotts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 13 at 17:42
Out of interest, how do panels work with regard to charging the batteries (via a split charge) from the alternator when driving?
With a controller fitted (say the one that windy surfer Gaz linked too) do you have to do anything special? Do i have to fit additional relays to isolate the batteries when the alternator kicks in?

Cheers,

Ringo
Huge big LT Florida - its slow but its a Westie!
windysurfer View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windysurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 13 at 18:04
Just fit and forget Ringo.

The controller monitors the battery voltage.When the voltage reaches a set limit the solar regulator stops putting any current in (13.4v in my case).

ringonotts View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringonotts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 13 at 18:28
Cool. Tx Gaz.

Ringo
Huge big LT Florida - its slow but its a Westie!
 Post Reply Post Reply