The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pop Top Roof Rack - Sherpas Translift

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonnyAtlantic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pop Top Roof Rack - Sherpas Translift
    Posted: 28 Apr 13 at 07:41
I have just bought a Sherpas Translift system for my Westy PopTop.

Can anyone give me some ideas on where to fit the short runner parts onto the roof?

I have done an internet search and a looked around here and the 80-90 but can't seem to find a definitive answer.  Some pictures show the rails qiute inboard of the roof.

Another brochure photo shows the rails right on the edge, which I think is the correct place but others seem to say theirs are more inboard and still original.

The sherpas roof system (picture below) install manual gives options for inboard install and install on the outer edge, outside the bellows.  The outer edge ones having the bolts going through the roof outside of the bellows.  I think its tight on space there, but maybe possible.  The washers supplied have a flat edge too so I'm thinking this would allow the fix closer to the edge of the bellows rail?

I'd just love some pics of them installed like that to point me straight. As I would rather the holes be outside the bellows than in the roof area with a potential leak!  The guy I bought it from had sold his van but said the rails were bolted through on the inside of the van with covered bolt heads showing inside.  But had sold the van!

If you have some measurements too like how far apart and from the front edge that would be really useful.

Many thanks if any of you guys have the time and can help and have the original rails fitted.
I'd be very grateful. (WWW sorry for nicking your pic!)
Cheers, Jonny.
1990 Westfalia Atlantic 1.6TD - Pop Top
elysjohn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elysjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 13 at 11:33
im not sure if this is any help, it was on the westfalia t4 site. 

http://www.westfaliat4.info/07_1990_SherpaTransliftManualandFittingInstructions.T4WM.pdf

JonnyAtlantic View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonnyAtlantic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 13 at 12:07
Thanks elysjon, I already have that document from the T3info site and have been looking at page 3 on it, figs B and C show my options.

In my purchase I have the roof rails but not the underneath spacer bit, but the bolts fitted looks like it is what was there before.  I have a spare set of rail so could probably make some spacer with that but would love to see a photo of someones Westy with the rails fitted like that.

Whoops upside down, but shows bolt lengths and flattened washers.

Anyone got a pic of these fitted to edge of roof on a westy pop top?
Cheers

Edited by JonnyAtlantic - 28 Apr 13 at 12:08
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonnyAtlantic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 13 at 11:04
Hopefully someone out there has one fitted!

This is the diagram in the manual.

Sorry but pic won't upload! Arrgh.

Having had a look at the van with the roof up now, I think the above no.25 is the railing attaching the bellows to the roof.  I'm thinking they just drilled through this in the centre, then bolted through this.  It would also explain the flattened washer, so it's flush on the bellows side.

Hoopefully someone out there has them fitted like this and would be so kind as to confirm this.
Cheers
Jonny.

Edited by JonnyAtlantic - 29 Apr 13 at 11:20
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonnyAtlantic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 13 at 09:38
Think I have found the answer. It appears I'm right, as I've just found a quote from another brickie with this on another thread. He says they go through the bellows rail on the outside. So now to measure up and start drilling!
 Post Reply Post Reply