The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Wheel help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pulled by cops for poke, need wider arches!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pulled by cops for poke, need wider arches!
    Posted: 14 Apr 13 at 18:26
Hello

My rear wheels have some negative camber and the tread stays under the arch at the top, but the wheel sticks out of the arch a bit and then somemore at the bottom than at the top.

The front wheels have tread poking out of the arch to boot. Ive not long bought the van and they came with these wheels which I would like to keep.

So I am after flaring/rolling or widening the arches with some grp ones. Any ideas people?

Ive got on order a set of 9" wide mud flaps, hopefully that will help a bit.

Thanks in advance
90 VW T3 Syncro Panel Stealth Camper

98 VW T4 Transporter 1200 LWB 2.4TD - Syncro wannabe
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 13 at 19:17
Sticking GRP arches on will mean you'll have to mod the hinge too or else the door won't open.

Easiest option is to change your wheels
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Piledriver View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piledriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 13 at 19:27
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 13 at 19:52
cops are being a little over enthusiastic I think! you get a penalty notice?
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Abyss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 13 at 19:58
Originally posted by jason k jason k wrote:

Sticking GRP arches on will mean you'll have to mod the hinge too or else the door won't open.

Easiest option is to change your wheels

The wheels are staying end of! But to other people you would be right,,,,however on this van the runner has been modded already to take into account the poke of the wheels.

Originally posted by rowlesy rowlesy wrote:

cops are being a little over enthusiastic I think! you get a penalty notice?

I got a penalty for the plates, lol i knew they were illegal so whatever, even though I had the originals in the back and offered to swap em. They went all pissy about my finger though and made me remove it, due to it being a public offence order

Originally posted by Piledriver Piledriver wrote:

have a look at this thread.....

Sweet going to read that now, thanks

T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 13 at 22:10

for the fronts you should be able to just use post bus arches.
you just missed some in the for sale section.
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
Allanw View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
SYCOPHANTIC TRAINEE WELSHMAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allanw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 13 at 03:56
Originally posted by T3ADICT T3ADICT wrote:

Or buy them new Wink

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/postal-flares_topic78854_post628683.html

They don't add much extra width though - little more than the thickness of the plastic.

My rears just arrived too Cool
Allan :-)

'84 T3 Kombi, EJ25 DOHC, apprentice Viking...

Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound.
lhdwesty View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhdwesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 13 at 17:29
As yours is an early van the hinge mod is very easy to do.
Get another hinge, cut them both by amount needed(say 20 or 30mm,lay them in a piece of angle iron to keep them aligned,chamfer the edges,weld them up, then place a suitable socket on the runner with the cap from the top sliding door bolt. works a treat and you can go back to standard with just the swap of a new hinge if needed.
Rob.
Westy Syncro

***WANTED***
tan / beige front door cards in good condition,no top speaker holes.
Abyss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 13 at 19:01
Originally posted by Allanw Allanw wrote:

Originally posted by T3ADICT T3ADICT wrote:

Or buy them new Wink

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/postal-flares_topic78854_post628683.html

They don't add much extra width though - little more than the thickness of the plastic.

My rears just arrived too Cool

I must say when I found the right word to search for I found your thread and saw the, and found the supplier, now my concern was exactly that, ie in your second picture they dont seem to offer much in the way of give? Granted they would suit the van though.

Originally posted by lhdwesty lhdwesty wrote:

As yours is an early van the hinge mod is very easy to do.
Get another hinge, cut them both by amount needed(say 20 or 30mm,lay them in a piece of angle iron to keep them aligned,chamfer the edges,weld them up, then place a suitable socket on the runner with the cap from the top sliding door bolt. works a treat and you can go back to standard with just the swap of a new hinge if needed.

Rob.

And that is what has been done already matey

Edited by Abyss - 15 Apr 13 at 19:02

Abyss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 13 at 19:08
Oh and these are the mudflaps ive bought, they do returns (checked) if gash material or dont fit,,, but description sounds good and measures up ok in terms of width (wheels are 9" wide)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-WIDE-Rubber-Mud-Flap-FRONT-REAR-Mudflaps-VW-/290515229165

D&D View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
"deuce"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 13 at 19:36

reminds me of the Lt with 255/55/18's fitted. Problem solved with plastic arches & a heat gun

Carthago 32.1 T4 LWB
BY Golden Nut Winner
Chug & Tug Team Member
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 13 at 20:21
police being a bunch of cnuts! no issue with poke there mate, prob was hoping to bust your ass for more.........
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
lhdwesty View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhdwesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 13 at 20:30
I ran mine round for years like that and never had any problems. Was it traffic cops?
Westy Syncro

***WANTED***
tan / beige front door cards in good condition,no top speaker holes.
Abyss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 13 at 22:22
I know the cops get some bad press and stick some times, and I think they generally do a good job, and i havent minded them,,, but fuck me what a bunch of jobs worths the other day

But like a good boy, no finger now, plates changed and im looking to fix the wheels...

Best of it was, the finger came from a mate who works for the police, lol,, he reckons yeah, traffic cops are wankers lol

Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 13 at 23:48
to be fair, there is a problem with the tyre as far as the regs go.

Your wheel can protrude 30mm at its furthest point, but the entire tread of the tyre must be covered when viewed from directly above.

What you want is a set of stretched tyres on there

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 13 at 18:23

this just reminded me of the orange van that i saw at vanfest a good few times with these wheels

turbo veck or turbo vain ... something like that

post bus arches work well.. used ones are rare-ish ... new repro are quite expencive.
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
Bertie blue bus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bertie blue bus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 13 at 20:59
Originally posted by Tee3 Tee3 wrote:

to be fair, there is a problem with the tyre as far as the regs go.

What you want is a set of stretched tyres on there

lol, now that would be dangerous and worth a pull !!
1985 T3 Holdsworth 1.9DG.

1989 2.1 MV Westfalia Hitop

Abyss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 13 at 21:25
Originally posted by Abyss Abyss wrote:

I know the cops get some bad press and stick some times, and I think they generally do a good job, and i havent minded them,,, but fuck me what a bunch of jobs worths the other day

But like a good boy, no finger now, plates changed and im looking to fix the wheels...

Best of it was, the finger came from a mate who works for the police, lol,, he reckons yeah, traffic cops are wankers lol

Been naughty again, finger is back, ffs i dont care lol

nicko868 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicko868 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 13 at 14:40
there is no law against stretched tyres however I don't think they would suit those wheels!  Wider arches would look cool though :) 
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 13 at 15:01
There's an interesting (old) thread about stretch tyres I googled on the Police Online forums :

http://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/index.php?/topic/24937-stretched-tyres-are-they-legal-or-not/

Personally I don't like stretched tyres - apart from the fact I think they're just begging to fall off, I also think they look very silly
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>