The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone got a Weber 34 DAT fitted?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bibblybobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone got a Weber 34 DAT fitted?
    Posted: 09 Apr 13 at 12:10
Hi
Has anyone got a Weber 34 DAT carb fittted to their van? This is the early one that replaces the Pierburg 2B6 carb on the 83 - 85 vans.

I need a photo of it fitted if possible?

Many thanks

Dan
1984 LT31 2.4 petrol Camper
axe wound View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axe wound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 13 at 10:15
Hi I can send you a photo but i wouldn't bother fitting one . I fitted a brand new webber carb kit to get rid of all my running troubles but it turned out to be a horrible twin choke carb , a tiny first choce and a much bigger second. you spend all your time trying to get over the massive flat spot between the first and second chokes, the second choke only opens at the last inch of throttle travel. you just spend all your time feathering the throttle in the last inch of travel with a huge flat spot in the middle of it !
A much better carb would be an IDF webber its a twin barrel carb that opens both chokes at the same time, ita a down draught carb so it should fit on the manifold ok.
Its probably not so good on fuel but you wont need to go everywhere on full throttle.
As for the photos the 34 webber carb  comes with a adaptor plate to take the origianl air filter hose and the auto choke wires up in the same way.
I hope this helps
PS im changing to turbo d power this summer.
Axe
bibblybobs View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bibblybobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 13 at 09:18
Hi Axe
Thanks for the reply. If you get a minute could you photo it for me as I have got to make an adaptor to fit to the manfoild but I cannot work out how the throttle cable fits or why there seem to be 3 fuel inlet / outlets. My pierburg is knackered but it runs ok on lpg, which is what i use for 99% of the time, but the throttle butterlies are wearing. Did you get the manifold adaptor with the kit? Mine seems to have only 1 choke.

thanks mate

Dan
volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 13 at 09:42

I got a manifold adaptor plate with mine but the carb was a Weber 32/34 DMTL.  It also said in the instructions that you had to have had some modification done before fitting the carb.  I know the petrols got re-called for some type of fuel modification due to a lot of engine fires but i've never been able to find out exactly what it was.

I think it was something to do with the vapourising unit (I think thats what it's called) because that didn't look to be a factory fit.  Maybe that has something to do with the 3 inlets/outlets?
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bibblybobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 13 at 10:07
Hi Volition

Thanks for the info. Yes the 34 DAT Weber was fitted to the earlier models (83 - 85) which replaces the Pierburg 2B6 carb. Looks like it definately needs modifications but interested to see how they look fitted. It looks like you have the later one which replaces the Pierburg 2E3. I dont suppose you still have any copies of the instructions still?

Many thanks
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 13 at 10:28
I do.  I'll take a copy of them and post it up for you.  I've only got limited computer access through the library so it will probably be Monday.  If I can i'll do it before.

I take it you have managed to source a second hand one?  IIRC the adaptor plate for mine was a flat plate which had counter sunk holes in it which secured it to the manifold and then studs screwed into the plate for the carb.  It also has approx 10mm rubber mount between the plate and carb.  It's not something which is easy to make unless your good with a lathe.  I would have thought you could buy the parts from somewhere like the carburettor hospital.
axe wound View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axe wound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 13 at 08:23
Ive got a peirberg twin choke carb off a 54000. mile DL if your interested ?
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bibblybobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 13 at 08:28
Originally posted by volition82 volition82 wrote:

I do.  I'll take a copy of them and post it up for you.  I've only got limited computer access through the library so it will probably be Monday.  If I can i'll do it before.

I take it you have managed to source a second hand one?  IIRC the adaptor plate for mine was a flat plate which had counter sunk holes in it which secured it to the manifold and then studs screwed into the plate for the carb.  It also has approx 10mm rubber mount between the plate and carb.  It's not something which is easy to make unless your good with a lathe.  I would have thought you could buy the parts from somewhere like the carburettor hospital.

Yes I managed to get the carb but not anything else. That would be great if you could email them or post up a copy. I already have the rubber spacer but am looking to make the plate from Ally. I will contact Carb Hospital to see if it is something they have.

Thanks again

Dan
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bibblybobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 13 at 08:29
Originally posted by axe wound axe wound wrote:

Ive got a peirberg twin choke carb off a 54000. mile DL if your interested ?

Hi Axe, thanks for the offer. Is it a PIerburg 2B6?

thanks

Dan
axe wound View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axe wound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 13 at 22:05
ill check it came off a 1983 2.4 dl engine its a vac operated twin choke carb original fitment
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bibblybobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 13 at 08:06
Hi Axe
If it's off an 83 model then it should be the 2B6. I am definately interested if it's no use to you?

thanks

Dan
axe wound View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axe wound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 13 at 10:11
Ok ill sort it out and check it over and get back to you, i will also have the whole 2.4 petrol engine for sale in the next couple of months 2 owner 66000.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bibblybobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 13 at 13:45
Have you replaced it with something else?
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bibblybobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 13 at 08:23
Sorry but if anyone has got a photo of one fitted then it would be most appreciated.

Thanks again

Dan
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 13 at 09:25

Sorry for the delay but for one reason and another i've not been able to get to the library until now.

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bibblybobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 13 at 20:05
Hey Volition,, no need to apologise - I really appreciate the fact you have managed to do that. Many thanks mate. Fantastic help

Dan
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bibblybobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 13 at 08:28
Still having problems with the 34 DAT Weber as it has 3x fuel feeds and I cannot see why. Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bibblybobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 13 at 13:51
All sorted. Managed to get some parts and instructions from Fast Road Cars.
There's basically a fuel inlet and outlet plus an additional breather pipe which just hangs into engine bay. The Pierburg 2B6 (Zenith 2B6 )was on LT's from 1983 - 1986 it was then replaced with the Pierburg 2E3. The 2B6 is impossible to find parts for so I managed to find the Weber replacement which is a 34DAT. This is the same as the 34 DMTL but is an auto choke so I am sure you can use the DMTL and fit a manual. It does have a part fitted to the top of the carb for the air intake but basically it is the same manifold adaptor and kit as the BMW which had the Pierburg 2BE (Zenith 2BE) carb fitted. I have added links to the instructions for the kit which includes all Weber part numbers.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bibblybobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 13 at 11:11
Here's the manual for Weber 34 DAT - Replacement for Pierburg 2B6 on VW LT 1983 - 1986
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/80o63merfjlov/Weber_34_DAT_for_VW_LT_83-86
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 13 at 11:22
Sounds like you had a complete mare of a job! I cant help but wonder how we all managed before the internet. Mind you, you used to be able to go to your local dealer and an old boy mechanics usually had some idea. Try doing that with the new technicians!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>