The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice: Coolant change G30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julian67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice: Coolant change G30
    Posted: 17 Mar 13 at 16:46
Hi

For those who replied to my 2.1 spluttering problem - a big thank you. The problem was water in the tank! My wife relieved to be back on the road in her '88 Westy!

On Tuesday, she will have it serviced + coolant change (last coolant change was 2 years ago. Before she buys the coolant & oil, I would be grateful for some advice. I called the Swedish auto store where I used to get my parts (I now live in Glouces) and they have only G30 coolant.

QUESTION:

Can I use G30 on a 1988 2.1 engine when the system has been drained?

The Swedish auto store only stocks G30 which states that it is approved by VW/Audi/Bentley/Bugatti

Does it matter if there is still some old coolant in the system?

(not sure whether the mechanic will just drain the system but not flush it!

Does the system have to be flushed with distilled water or just from a regular water tap?

Does it matter if there are traces of iron in the water supply?

How many bottles of G30 will I need for a 50/50 mix?

Is 15W40 oil suitable for an oil change for a 2.1 engine?

Oil quantity with oil filter change - 4.5 liters or more?

Many thanks.

max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 13 at 19:42
I have no idea what g30 even is...the latest and possibly the best coolant at present is g13 from vw themselfs...it's not cheap and you would need 7 litres to get a 50/50 mix so as the bottles are 1.5 liters...erm...5 bottles!

However...despite the cost its in for life and has very good anti corosion properties so suited to the watter boxers...as long as you can keep in there of course!

Would advise a full flush out of the rad and matrix with a hose...no need for distilled water and the coolant should cope with iron in the water no worrys.
julian67 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julian67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 13 at 19:48
Hi

Many thanks for your advice.

From my Google search (since my post), it seems G30 is G12+ and approved by VW/Audi?Bentley so I assume it's ok.

However, I'd welcome an experieced Westfalia's advice!

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 13 at 19:54
Well...first was g12.. Then g12+, then g12++...and now g13...extensive googling will tellmwhatbcan be mixed with what but all are good coolants...g12 + will be fine as long as you wash out any old stuff anyway.
julian67 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julian67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 13 at 20:27

In Sweden ( where our newly purchased T3 2.1 is located), the auto motor parts sell only G30. I think up there G12 or G12+ is not sold anymore, whereas here in the UK G12 and G12+ is.

Being a cold, harsh climate, I assume the G30 is fine.

I just checked Ebay UK and there are a few 5 liter G30's for sale.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=G30+coolant&_osacat=131090&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=G30+coolant&_sacat=131090

So if anyone can advise using G30 on their T3, I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 13 at 20:41
I have g12 ++ in my t3s...both are diesel but I do rate the stuff.
AdrianC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 13 at 13:59
Originally posted by julian67 julian67 wrote:

So if anyone can advise using G30 on their T3, I would really appreciate it.

G12/G12+/G13 are VW's own brand names for various specs of OAT-based (red) coolant.
G30 is Comma's brand name for their red OAT coolant meeting VW's TL774F spec - the spec which the stuff VW sell as "G12+" meets. Both are made from the same BASF Glysantin G30 base chemical.

So, effectively, "Comma G30" is nothing more than another brand name for the same stuff as "VW G12+"
Adrian & Ellie
Zookeeper of a miscellany of motoring silliness, from 0.75bhp to 9ft tall.
Living life on the road in an '88 2.1 Club Joker Hightop.
http://WhereverTheRoadGoes.com
Red Westie View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Westie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 13 at 15:22
Note LONG LIFE......means 5 year Antifreeze changes as opposed to the older products (Non OAT) which were only two yearly changes.
Sounds like you already had Long Life stuff in it (5 year life)

Also, total coolant capacity for a Wasserboxer engined T3 is 17.5 litres so a 50:50 mix requires 8.75 litres.
Diesel cooling capacity is less at 16 litres.....according to the Bently..which makes sense.

Drained well I find my 2.1 takes about 4.75 litres of oil (with filter) 15W40 mineral oil is spot on! anything thinner and your tappets will clatter from cold.

Martin

Edited by Red Westie - 18 Mar 13 at 15:25
shelly
julian67 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julian67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 13 at 15:48

Many thanks Martin for taking the time to explain to a novice like me!

Keep well
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 13 at 19:08
Coolant is classed as fill for life..not long life...it will do the life of most cars on the road now if maintained at correct strength....corroded engines are a thing of the past I'm pleased to say!
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 13 at 20:45
Hmmm, when I asked about coolant a couple of years ago I was recommended Comma G48 Blue, and Brickwerks sell only the purple stuff... So what I IS the difference?
Which is the stuff that encourages head gasket failure?!
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 13 at 21:21
We have G13.
We've had it a while, but there was some confusion about the suitability when mixed with other VW coolants, so it sat on the shelf until it was confirmed...

http://brickwerks.co.uk/shop?page=shop.product_details&category_id=149&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1984

Pretty much the same price as the old G12 stuff we sold, and theres a very good chance its made in the same place as the stuff you'd buy from VW , but at two thirds the price.

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 13 at 14:28
So which is the stuff to avoid then?
 Post Reply Post Reply