The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

red hot exhaust manifold - lt40 2.4 petrol/lpg

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 17 at 12:38
thanks for the encouragement! I'm starting to think i'm mental to be honest but like andyt said...it will be a worthwhile moment to see how it goes after all this messing. :)
I got me a 2.4 straight Six......and it's a soundin JUICY!

1984 LT40 2.4 petrol Coachbuilt Autotrail Motorhome
nooberdoober View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 17 at 13:27
Bit more progress. Some very nice pistons arrived today from the states. Packaged beautifully so as to make you feel better about the shafting:

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 17 at 04:30
Heres a better look at the spec sheet they give you with the pistons. last one too blurry:

and a look at the new piston lined up on the pin with the old piston to try and demonstrate the extra compression height and lifted ring position:

Then while i tap my fingers impatiently for the rebore, tonight we looked at adding some more degree markings on the BTDC side of the flywheel so that it'll be easier to gauge how advanced the ignition is underload and at speed. Does anyone know what the little X represents?:

Here is the set up:

and here are the final set of markings before they had some final treatment to help them stand out a bit more:

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 17 at 23:20
Cleaned the clutch up today. Its made by AP which i presume means its an afftermarket clutch. Possibly its second. It looks pretty good so I'm going to reuse it.

The pads and springs on the friction plate look fairly good to but it's hard to judge from the image so i've not bothered. I'll check the release bearing tmrw and hopefully that's fine too.

Here is the flywheel with some colour to lift the markings out a tad:

While we've been turning these valve seat inserts down to the correct size we've discovered that on some, there are floors in the casting, we suppose on the top side of the casting where small bubbles have risen but then set in the cast.....Making it trickier to ensure that my new valve seats can be eventually ground in without any issues. Last thing we need is for any of these bubbles/nuggets of imperfection to reveal themselves once the seats are in and it's too late. We reckon that they all seem to appear near the top of the castings and so we are hoping that we can flip them and use the other side, hiding the floors on the outside bottom edge where they are least likely to cause any issues down the line.

Here are the two we've found so far:

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 18 at 14:49
Got the finely machined new nickle seats in the other day without issue. I got the chance to take the head over to my mates place of work and stick it in his oven. We heated it up to 240degrees while having cooled the inserts in the freezer over night. They dropped in nicely with a subtle whack. We left 5 thousands of an inch on each insert for interference fitting. They went in and havent popped back out or cracked anything thankfully. Also, as the oven heats evenly, there doesnt seem to have been any warping so No need for another skim. Very happy.  Now we've cut our three angles into each seat and will begin to set the depth for each valve. 

I've had the block bored out to 77mm to match up with my new pistons, and dipped the block into the cleaning tank to get rid of all the crud. Masked it all up last night and Painting it today.

Finally its coming together!!! More pictures soon when i get photobucket sorted.

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 18 at 00:49
Noticed some ovality in one of my con rods after having botched the installation on my number 6 piston. All the others went in perfectly but i got cocky on number 6 and tried to tighten the big end cap up while not noticing that one of the bearings had shifted. Turns out one bearing shuffled over the other and ive gone ahead and kept tightening one of the bolts thinking it was just a bit stiff going over the splines. ENd result....f**k i need a new set of bearings....OK i thought....not a massive problem BUT....oh bugger....ive put a chink in the bearing seat of con rod number 6 and slightly bent the cap. Took it over to my engineering saviour/saint and we've had a good go at salvaging the rod. With some time we got it workable but there is 4thou ovality in the big end. After coming this far i nearly threw myself out the wondoo. 

Anyone know where new/secondhand rod could be obtained. If possible, is it ok to just buy one instead of all 6( which would mean extracting all my bloody pistons again) or if 4thou ovality in the currently salvaged cock up of monstrous proportions is worth running with? I had the opportunity to buy a whole engine from a guy on here a few years back and never managed to get my act together and buy it....hindsight....

Learning seems an expensive privilege. 30 seconds of absent mindedness....twat. :(

robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 18 at 07:59
Been there, done that and felt a twat!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd be more than happy to source one second hand conrod and fit it, have done this in several 'aircooled' engines with no issues. as long as the big/little ends are good then I can foresee no problem.

Not sure if they are the same as diesel engines but there is a guy on VOLT breaking a straight 6 non turbo......

RW
1985 LT40 2.4TD Coach built Pioneer Diamond
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 18 at 11:51
Thanks RW. Thats the way to go then. Lucky me, I think I might have found one too! I'm thinking about driving down to bournemouth to have a thorough gander at what else he might have.

LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 18 at 12:09
There is a whole Luton, less some parts in Sheffield for £100 in VoLT Swapmeet at present.
I understand it needs to be gone today or tomorrow.

I cannot link on the works computer though :(

1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 18 at 12:12
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 18 at 12:41
Yeah he's a good guy and the engine I meant, I may be going there in the next few days for parts myself.....

RW
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 18 at 13:48
Aww RW could you send me his contact details. i dont want to get black listed on ebay for asking for his details. they can be swines! im in cambs and its miles down to bournemouth but id like to have a word with him if poss!

LT camper, nice one mate but i don't do the facebook. any other way i could take a look?

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 18 at 14:09
Here's the block after the rebored and out of the dip tank:

block after the re-bore and dipped

Engine number visible for the first time in a few years:

Engine number visible

a look at the crankcase:

and having rigged the stand, a little nervous load testing:

load testing the block and head on engine stand

acid etched the block:

block acid etched

painted it in toyota decuma grey and lacquered with petrol resistant varnish:

block in toyota decuma grey with laquer

block painted

oil pump for cleaning and inspection. We stuck an extra washer on the relief valve in the hope it might conquer the old issue of constantly "on" oil pressure warning light:

oil pump opened and cleaned for inspection

a look at the nice new bores:

freshly honed bores

honed to perfection by anglia engines

gapping rings...getting excited now...bit too excited as previously mentioned :(

rings gapped ready for piston install

and my good old mate installing the new very cold nickel seat inserts into a very hot head:

preparing to tap the cold nickel seat inserts into very hot block

tapping them in

Crankshaft back on with loads of graphogen on the bearings. I used the old thrust washers but with new main bearings:

crank back on

Edited by nooberdoober - 01 Apr 18 at 17:09

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 18 at 14:30
Actually LT camper, it lets me see that link regardless. Not sure i've got the energy to go and get it to be honest. I'm so close now to finishing this one with what ive got but thank you for the heads up. almost tempted me back on to facebook too.....noooooooooooooo!

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 18 at 14:54
The whole thing needs to go in one piece, about that he is insistent. He has been selling parts for a fortnight now.
I have asked for contact details.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 18 at 15:20
Originally posted by nooberdoober nooberdoober wrote:

Aww RW could you send me his contact details.

I've only spoke to him via FB dude......

RW
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 18 at 15:48
:) typical....

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 18 at 17:00
Now sold.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 18 at 08:11
How's it going mate?...........
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 18 at 23:03
Sorry for very late response. 

Update on my second hand connecting rod is that it weighs 17 grams lighter than the one it's got to replace so I'm a bit stuck at moment. Need to get the bottom end closed up really as its been sat for ages with only 5 pistons installed. Its had a good dose of graphogen on all the right bits and ive oiled the bores to stop any surface rust further buggering stuff up.

Thoughts are to either coddle the old one back into good shape which doesnt seem too much work as it only had 4thou ovality in the big end OR to either silver solder or arc weld 17 grams-ish on to the replacement rod.

I don't have any scales which makes the job a lot of backward and forwarding...so I'm being patient and waiting for a spot of help.

It's only been 6 months since i pulled the bloody thing out. Whats a few more days. :(

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>