The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

red hot exhaust manifold - lt40 2.4 petrol/lpg

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 17 at 17:15
Well....waiting was never something i was very good at....So I undid a few bolts and the Head fell off so I thought I might aswell set about having a good look throughout.

With the camshaft off, i extracted each shim and they measured as follows:

A look at the valve faces in situ:

missed one cylinder here somehow but you get the idea.

Then a quick look at the camshaft side of the head for posterity:

And once the shims, buckets, springs and their base plates, collets and valves are removed it was time to have a wee butchers at the valve guides and take a look at whether there was much play and whether it was within tolerance:

not great on all exhaust valves...so ive ordered 6 new guides which have now arrived and are to be stamped in tonight hopefully. Here are the close ups of the old exhaust valve guides. You can see from the first shot that the inlet guides were in pretty good shape and little play, certainly within tolerance and so we opted to leave them in and only look at the duff exhaust valves:

None were great but two were especially awful. 

Next a quick look at the valves themselves to measure the stem thickness for signs of wear and to have a look at the faces and the head of the valve to check for damage..... All were worn slightly on the stem, some were reusable but i have now ordered 6 new valves from the far east... here is the worst of the bunch under some light to try and show you the catastrophy waiting to happen....:

Ouch.....

Anyhoo..while the valves are on order and slowly chugging their way to britain i got my mate to whip the head over to his place of work and have it dipped in his lunch hour...

which now looks lovely...

So while I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting for valves to get here, i cleaned up the dirty old exhaust manifold and had some new plates welded to the warm air intake sleeve that sits around the front exhaust manifold so that I can fix it properly back on to the manifold when it all goes back together and finally rule it out of the several things that could be causing annoying rattle at about 40 mph:

Still a bit more to be done on here so ill post pics of the finished sleeve once its looking sexy again.

More on the reconditioning of the head itself to come later once I've sorted more.

I got me a 2.4 straight Six......and it's a soundin JUICY!

1984 LT40 2.4 petrol Coachbuilt Autotrail Motorhome
nooberdoober View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 17 at 15:37
Pressed out old exhaust valve guides with this custom stamp which worked very nicely. Here it is as we held it up for final measurements:

Carefully stamped out the old exhaust guides with the strong arm. Took just a fraction over a ton for some of them to pop clear:

Then realised I'd ordered the short guides from GSF which was thoroughly annoying:

Old guides (listed on GSF @ 42.5mm with a required number of 8 pieces - indicative of it being for the 2.0 ltr 4 pot:

New guides (listed on GSF @ 36.5mm with a required number of 12 pieces - indicative of it being for the 2.4 ltr 6 pot:

But I didnt check it so my fault. 

Does anybody know if using the short valve guides instead of the longer original ones would be acceptable. In theory, less protrusion of the guide out of the moulding would slightly improve the exhaust flow but could it have any negative impact? These valve guides also came with a machined lip on the upper side, where the old ones didnt appear to have any.

failing using the short guides I'll have to wait for the longer ones to come from the shop.

In the meanwhile a little bit of inlet valve seat pitting to work on:

robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 17 at 10:57
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Well you might as well drop the sump and pull the pistons whilst it's in bits.........

How will you sleep at night if you don't?!?!?!?!.......

This is how my build started TongueWinkLOLLOL
1985 LT40 2.4TD Coach built Pioneer Diamond
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 17 at 10:52
Yes I think that's the way it's going to go now. No point not doing it. How did you support the block on yours? I wont have a crane  so my original thoughts were to rig up a big bit of wood over the two seats and attatch the lifting eye from the head, to the block itself and lightly support from there. Now im thinking of trying it from below instead. I believe its only the left hand engine mounting that needs to come off so could i get away with a well placed axel stand with some cushioning direct onto the crank pulley? and another perhaps my pneumatic jack or another axel stand with some wood under the brcket for the starter motor? Do you reckon that to be a decent alternative to hoisting it?

robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 17 at 21:19
I dropped the sump off mine and the left hand engine mounts, had to do a bit of wiggling about to give room and i then jacked it up to give the clearanceusing a trolly jack........it was a remove a bit more kind of venture but easy enough........cant remember if the gearbox was off it though?

I undid the conrods from below and then pushed them through the top.....
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 17 at 10:49
The gearbox still attached on mine. I havent ventured near that yet...I'm using the down time between the last bits arriving for the head and having the bottom end apart to clean the block up a bit and tidy the engine bay up a bit. Its not had any love really since the LPG conversion 5 or 6 years ago.

Few more pics of the progress:

Exhaust Manifolds been in for blasting and Warm air sleeve getting some nice new brackets fabricated and welded up:

Intake ports had a rough grind:

Water jacket elbow needs some attention:

Intake Manifold getting ready for a bit of the dipping treatment:

And the intake manifold preheater close up for inspection and perhaps modification:

LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 17 at 12:09
Thumbs Up
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 17 at 10:52
I love shit like this.............Cool

Keep up the good work

ClapClap
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 17 at 22:36
MOAR!
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 17 at 13:39
More to come! Today it nice waether so im wet and drying my duff paintwork and recoating it before i stick me bumper back on. Enamle painting the block so it dont look rubbish with the shiny new head back on it and generally getting stuff done that has nothing to do with having a red hot exhaust manifold......

but just for you.... here is the sexy fresh out of the blasting box inlet manifold before i wash it and stick a few coats of paint on it.....we used walnut shells so as not to hammer the aluminium too much. Even saved the pre-heater gasket.

Looks like it was born yesterday :) 

lined up and getting eager to stick it all back together...

more to follow later. :)

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 17 at 12:46
the fruits of last nights labours:

1st up cleaned up and stoned the manifold faces on the head and inspected the state of the exhaust porting. Begun thinking about tidying them a bit.

The new exhaust valves have arrived from der deutchland:

All the rusty metal plates from around the engine bay have had a good clean up and first coats of paint:

This one protects the starter motor from the harshness of the glowing exhaust manfold....and has seen better days...still, its cleaned up well enough. HT paint.

The timing belt back plate prior to the repositioning the rubber seal and sticking it back on with some contact adhesive. Single coat of primer.:

Timing belt cover. Black spray on hammerite:

Then the little water jacket elbow that looked as though it was beyond salvage had a bit of scrutiny. Needs new O-ring but actually the unit is not as atrocious as I thought it might be once cleaned up a bit:

Exhaust manifold warm air induction sleeve welded up with nice new steel and old crappy steel gotten rid of:

Lick of HT silver.

Never been stronger, fits like glove...hopefully no more rattling:

And finally...it got quite late...the beginnings of some modification to the inlet manifold pre-heater fins:

managed to get the outer ring basically finished in about 3 hours...

I'll aim to summon the will to finish profiling these tonight.

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 17 at 11:42
Great job so far mate, brilliant news that there are no cracks or burn't valve seats.
Only one question have you checked the head for distortion.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 17 at 17:58
Thanks folks for all your support! Andy, yes It's on the cards for the next few days to look at wether it needs anything skimming off the head. I've got access to a mill and some skilled hands (not mine) to operate it. 

Interestingly the valve seat on Number2 cyl took a lot of time to cut nicely last night and it made me wonder whether anything else had warped. Ive tried to illustrate that in the images below.

So last night we warmed the head up for a while with the fan heater and a blow torch:

Until it was just bordering on too hot to pick up and offer to the press (notice the towel to protect my soft mitts):

Prior to that we measured each guide bore and each new guide to see if there were any fractionally larger bores that could be matched/suited to any fractionally larger guides:

stamped them in successfully:

and here's the overview:

We cut each new outlet valve seat to 46 degrees with number 2 cyl taking the most work to ensure it lined up with the new valve stems/heads:

heres a close up of number 2, to show where the cut took time to even out:

Followed up by cutting a light 60 degree shoulder in to each of the newly sculpted seats and I ground all the valves in nicely before time to crash out ready for work the next day:

Notice the difference in the guide protrusion (using the shorter guides for the new outlets) in comparison to the old longer inlet guides:

more to come. :)

George2490 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George2490 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 17 at 19:01
Loving this. Better than the Beano, maybe!
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 17 at 19:14
Originally posted by George2490 George2490 wrote:

Loving this. Better than the Beano, maybe!

well....it doesn't look like its gonna come to conclusion anytime soon mate...long old job...so I'll keep you entertained for a good while yet :)

ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 17 at 20:34
Good thread... 
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 17 at 11:26
Measured the head last night for any signs of distorsion:

Showed approx between 3 and 5 thousandths of an inch distortion centrally on the head, getting tighter as the feeler gauges were slid out toward each end underneath the steel ruler. Unfortunately the mill I have direct access to isn't long enough to handle the length of the DL 6 Cylinder head unit so I've got to outsource it which will set me back £50+VAT with Anglia Engines. I've booked it in for tmrw morning.

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 17 at 16:23
If anyone has any idea of a supplier that can get hold of Pistons for the DL engine I'd be really happy if you could let me know. I don't know yet whether I'll need to replace any/all of them but in my research I can only seem to find Diesel Pistons. Please give me a shout if you know of any suppliers.

This is as far as I have got with the profiling of the inlet manifold pre-heater pins:

Perhaps it's overkill but any small amount of improved intake flow I can muster is surely worth it rather than do away with the whole unit and replace it with a blank. I figure it's an especially useful feature of these engines particularly as it often gets started on gas before the LPG vapouriser has fully warmed up with hot water. These pins get bloody hot!  Removing the pins would perhaps provide the optimum flow but I like how this is designed to turn off once the sensor senses that the coolant is hot enough and in my case then the vapouriser would likewise then be hot enough to take over the warming up of the gas.

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 17 at 22:00
Inlet valves with fresh 45degree grind:

and faces polished on the lathe to remove some of the pitting.

Cam cover went for the dip.

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 17 at 14:35
Picked the head up from Anglia Engines. 

One of the guys at the engine shop said "it was pretty well bowed" :) so I'm glad i went and had it looked at. They took an initial 0.008in off and a further 0.004in (so 0.012in or 0.30mm in all) to try and get down through a low spot between number 4 and 5 cylinders. They couldn't clear it so i went back down there with the head gasket to have a look if it was going to be a cause for concern, which it turned out not to be. The low spot sat inside clear of the metal cylinder ring on the gasket so we decided enough was enough and I took it home. 

Here is the low spot:

Then last night I cleaned up the water jacket port on the back of the head 

while my nimble handed mate busied himself with the beginnings of improving the potential flow of the inlet vapour by nibbling away at some of the aluminium moulding around the inlet guides. Nothing too much, he said,  just a little bit off...exhaust port guides next....

here is the roughly finished job:

And this morning I've been removing more bits from the engine bay as winter is here and I think that doing a proper job is going to be more comfortably achieved by having the whole engine craned out so it can be given some lengthy attention in the warmth of the yard rather than huddled underneath in the grease and the puddles on the increasingly blustery nights. Ive seen good cranes go for around the 100-150 quid mark on the web so am looking for one with adequate space between its forked legs that it will fit nicely around my offside front wheel while I offer the hook up to the block. Might look at renting one instead but I suppose I can buy one and then flog it again for similar cost.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>