The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

red hot exhaust manifold - lt40 2.4 petrol/lpg

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 17 at 12:33
HC on lpg should be practically zero, 200 in my case I think.
I'm thinking that the exhaust valves are still open when the spark arrives.
I'd check the valve clearances asap, cos of this is true the valves will burn pretty quick.

Inlet
Cold .15 - .25
Hot .2 - .3

Exhaust
Cold .35 - .45
Hot .4 - .5

Timing wise there are only 2 marks on the flywheel TDC and 7.5 @ 800rpm with the vacuum pipe blocked off. Centrifugal advance works upto 4500rpm, so if the marks move smoothly its working fine.

If you re-fit the pipe the marks should still advance smoothly but quicker.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 17 at 13:59
Any update?, hope it's a cheap fix.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

nooberdoober View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 17 at 14:27
Thanks as always AndyT. I've only just noticed your replies and will get on with making these checks on my valve clearances. I'll post more when i know more.
I got me a 2.4 straight Six......and it's a soundin JUICY!

1984 LT40 2.4 petrol Coachbuilt Autotrail Motorhome
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 17 at 02:04
Valve clearances cold as follows:

cylinder 1
in - 0.20mm
ex - 0.05mm

cylinder 2
in - 0.20mm
ex -  <0.05mm

cylinder 3
in - 0.15mm
ex -  <0.05mm

cylinder 4
in - 0.20mm
ex -  <0.05mm

cylinder 5
in - 0.15mm
ex -  <0.05mm

cylinder 6
in - 0.15mm
ex -  <0.05mm

Ive defo had hard starting issues for the last 1500 miles of use. ill park the thing and not use it until i get this sorted. The exhaust clearances are waaaay tight.....ouch :(

Thanks for pointing me toward it Andy. You might have saved me a fair amount of pain.

Edited by nooberdoober - 25 Sep 17 at 02:19

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 17 at 05:46
Doesn't make much sense, clearances are adjusted with shims.
Cam must have been out and the shims replaced with ones too thick.
They are all the same .5mm+ too thick.

You could replace the shims to set the clearances properly, and then do a compression test.
If the results are fine then you have been lucky indeed.
Worst case head has to come off, new valve seats. valves etc depending what you find.

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 17 at 09:45
My hard starting issues are definitely a recent thing. I noticed it in Antwerp a few months back and its got slightly worse as times gone on. 

I've been having to give it 2 minutes of throttle to keep it alive on cold starting. Once it's warm it stays alive though the tickover has been high and its not been coming back down with a simple tap on the throttle. It even started cutting out on me the other day at a few roundabouts. What ever is wrong, its newly occurring. My fuel economy is bad now too. I've got 100 litres in two underslung tanks and it barely gets me 160 miles. 

So....the lesson is about to get even more involved... I've been toying with the thought of completely rebuilding the engine recently before taking the wagon a VERY big road trip east. I guess it's been decided for me. might aswell...considering how long and how much i've already poured into the thing.

Compression tests I did cold/hot last week have definitely reduced since my last look a few years back. 
but still just within tolerance for most, with number2 cyl the lowest, cold at 110
    c       h
1: 140  135
2: 110  135
3: 140 120
4: 135 125
5: 130 115
6: 140 125

Anyway, I'll keep this up to date while i look for whats wrong.

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 17 at 10:25
I'd sort the clearances before doing a rebuild.
Normally you'd expect compressions to improve as the engine gets warm, but I think in your case the valves are expanding and holding them open more.
Sort the clearances and I'd expect compressions to improve as the valves will be shut.
Might be all it needs, it's not like they are 60psi or one cylinder being really low.

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 17 at 12:23
whilst your advice has stopped me from going immediately on a buying spree for pistons, rings and the rest...theres a part of me that thinks, doing it all now might serve me better in the long run. Would be nice to look down into that mid engine compartment and see a beaming new, gas flowed, shiny perfect example of early 80's engineering staring back at me. I'm going to drive the thing a bloody long way soon and wonder if it might be best to do all the work from the sanctuary of this island before committing myself to a journey full of mountains and long empty roads where the postman would struggle to deliver all of my parts....

Do you have an idea of where i can get hold of a set of the correct shims for the 1984 2.4 6 cyl LTs? And the right tool for the job? Can i get away with the two screw driver approach?

Im almost certain no-one has ever touched this engine prior and so am wondering if there might be another reason why the clearance is so far out despite how even the clearances are.
Could the valve seats have pocketed for example....

robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 17 at 14:45
I would be tempted for buying (borrow) the correct tools which consist of like a 'C' spanner which pushes the valve follower down and also a set of pliers that helps you grip the valve disc to remove it from the follower. Without these you have no chance and risk damage or loosing your finger ends.......no kidding. The valve discs get stuck in the followers due to suction of the oil in there and trying to remove them whilst under tension from the valve spring is madness.....

Get these tools and take the discs out one by one, on the underside it should have a measurement marked on them (unless someone has fitted them with the size upwards and then the cam will have worn it off so you will have to measure them with verniers etc) and work out what size disc you require and replace the original at this point, this enables you to purchase the correct discs from the Yard or Ebay whilst still using your van.

When the new ones come fit them and run it to see what it's like.

I do understand your dilemma about the pistons etc, I was where you are a few years back. I ended up removing the head and fully refurbing it, had the turbo redone, dropped the sump off and pulled the pistons and re-ringed them as the rings were solid in the grooves, deglazed the bores, new gaskets all over etc, cam belts, cam seals ....the list goes on............I'm lucky as I can do everything myself but probably wouldn't have bothered until it went bang otherwise, to me its either minor remedial works or not at all.

RW 
1985 LT40 2.4TD Coach built Pioneer Diamond
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 17 at 17:42
OK, then for now I'm convinced. Do you happen to know what size the C Spanner "2078" is? The haynes reccomends this one specifically but when i search for it it throws up lots of different options. The pliers are on order and should be here by wednesday. If i can get the c spanner ordered today it might likewise arrive promptly.

I am also undertaking as much as possible myself. I love this old wagon and I've got plenty of time to do the learning. So with the help of some good buddies in the engineering business that give me pointers and let me use space if I need to, I can keep the cost down the learning curve steep.

Your collective inputs are super valuable to me so again...a big fat thank you for all your help and advice. It goes a long way I can assure you! :)

I am keen to look at all the options and will still no doubt look deeper into the wider project but for now you've convinced me to take it step by step so at the least i can keep it running for now.

nb. I couldn't even get a 0.05 feeler gauge under the exhaust cams....only on 1 cylinder was I able. the rest were less that the lowest gauge on my set. If I get away with only new shims I am gonna be so lucky...it's done THOUSANDS of miles in this condition but since noticing the hard start I'd say perhaps maybe 600 miles...so I'm not holding my breath that resetting the clearances is going to be my only issue.

I think i might buy one of them cheap flexible hook up to your smartphone endoscopes and have a butchers inside the bores.

Doob.

Edited by nooberdoober - 25 Sep 17 at 18:18

robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 17 at 10:04
I will see what if any markings are on my 'C' spanner compression tool or give it a measure tonight.......

If the valve clearances are that tight you should notice a difference.......have you got a pic of the cam lobes, is it worn?

RW
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 17 at 10:59
I sure do:

cyl1
cyl2
cyl5

I honestly can't see any wear on them. this is as close as i can focus with my phone camera but they look and feel ok. Likewise i can really see any recession in the shims though they do spin around easily when the cam is allowing them the clearance to do so. Not sure if that is normal.

robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 17 at 08:20
I agree, very little wear on that cam. The first cam I had was that worn that the chamfer that goes around the lobes at either side had nearly disappeared.......

The 'c' spanner compressor tool has got 13147 on the handle and is around 240mm long........not sure where to measure it to be honest.
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 17 at 08:44

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 17 at 15:20
Try Brickwerks mate, if they can get it you should have it this week.

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 17 at 23:09
I've dropped a line to Brickwerks. Waiting to hear back.

This is also apparently the correct alternative tool:

13147 VW/Audi 4-, 5-, 6- Zyl. Benzin und Diesel ab Bj 82

Found on:

http://www.esgen-werkzeuge.de/sites/default/files/pdfs/31.pdf

robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 17 at 08:41
Originally posted by nooberdoober nooberdoober wrote:

I've dropped a line to Brickwerks. Waiting to hear back.

This is also apparently the correct alternative tool:

13147 VW/Audi 4-, 5-, 6- Zyl. Benzin und Diesel ab Bj 82

Found on:

http://www.esgen-werkzeuge.de/sites/default/files/pdfs/31.pdf

That's the same as mine........
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 17 at 10:16
Yes! Thanks Robbydoo. I think it must have been your reply that got me searching that number part. I think I found reference to it on another blog which led to that PDF from Esgen. 

Brickwerks can do the actual VW part for 36 smackers + VAT....ouch but if its the only solution i'll have to suck it up.  Otherwise I'll wait to hear from the german firm and if they come back as promptly as Brickwerks and it's cheaper including international shipping to here, then I'll have that one instead.

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 17 at 11:55
It's a pain when you have to buy a tool for a one off job, but I look the labour cost if you send it to the garage. Plus you know you are using the correct tool, not too many LT's around.

mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 17 at 14:41
buy it and crack on!! and take pics!
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>