The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

turbo problem?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: turbo problem?
    Posted: 10 Mar 13 at 10:00
hi all
have a problem with my t5 104 1.9tdi, was on way hme from work yesterday just cruising at 50mph when sudden loss of power and a air gushing noise from engine bay. engine still running so pulled over and opened bonnet, couldnt se any pipes off anywhere so revved engine and could hear the air noise again.
was a mile from home so limped home with the air noise cutting in abouT300rpm. presumably when the turbo spins up. it seems like a simple case of a hose off but havent had time to take a good look as yet. i can see oil at two hose joints, the large hose lower joint by the rad and the hose that is down by the turbo itself.
gonna take a look this morning but a 'heads up' would be appreciated.

thanks
steve
gadget View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 13 at 18:36
after way to long outside in the freezing cold i have managed to locate the problem and fit a rather affective fix to the sheared lugs. the van is running better that it has for some time so it probably hasnt been sealing for a while. i have tried to sort some pics out but my iphone wone email them to my inbox for some reason.
can someone help me with a part number for the hose so i can get it sorted without having to explain it to some parts guy on planet zorg.
its on a t5 1.9tdi 104 - its the smallest of the turbo hoses which is under the air feed from the airbox, its approx 220mm long with a 60mm diameter fitting on one end and a 50mm fitting on the other.
any help appreciated
thanks
steve
Dub4life View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dub4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 14 at 09:41
I had exactly what sounds like a similar problem last night, just cruising at about 80mph and then a kind of lurch, sudden loss of power, wouldn't pull. The engine sounded fine and I couldn't hear a gush or suck or air anywhere? I'm not sure if it went in limp mode or not but it was pretty slow, I could rev over 3000rpm and do about 60mph so I don't think it was. 

The issue I have is apart from an obvious visual check, I don't know where to start. Don't even know where the turbo is let alone all the pipes mentioned.

If it is the turbo, would there be fault codes? I can take it to get the codes read but if anyone in Bedfordshire can help out I'd be willing to get to you if you have VCDS!
Motexion, not cheap plywood!
VW master-tech View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW master-tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 14 at 13:35
There would normally be a fault code if it has gone into limp mode, did the power come back after the ignition was turned off and back on? I am in Bedfordshire and have Odis/vas PC on a laptop can have a look round it too if you like. Pm sent with contact details
VW WORX VCDS retrofitting and coding carried out, cruise control, mfsw, dis, locking adaptions pm for a quote
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 14 at 13:45
Originally posted by Dub4life Dub4life wrote:

I had exactly what sounds like a similar problem last night, just cruising at about 80mph and then a kind of lurch, sudden loss of power, wouldn't pull. The engine sounded fine and I couldn't hear a gush or suck or air anywhere? I'm not sure if it went in limp mode or not but it was pretty slow, I could rev over 3000rpm and do about 60mph so I don't think it was. 

The issue I have is apart from an obvious visual check, I don't know where to start. Don't even know where the turbo is let alone all the pipes mentioned.

If it is the turbo, would there be fault codes? I can take it to get the codes read but if anyone in Bedfordshire can help out I'd be willing to get to you if you have VCDS!

Follow the largest black pipes. Start at the air filter box, follow them to the turbo, from the turbo into the intercooler (looks like a radiator, in front of the radiator) and then back into the engine.

If you are a 5 pot, check the large hoses into the aluminium parts, usual suspects. I did post a temporary fix solution on here before. 

The symptom are classic hose failure, you would swear you hit an animal when it happens. As you drive the wagon will looks like a battleship making smoke to hide. Mine went when on of the guys was behind me, he nearly shat himself, one minute a rear of a van, next a wall of black smoke and couldn't see me.

Edited by Alonline - 22 Jun 14 at 13:47
Dub4life View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dub4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 14 at 18:46
That's a great help guys, thanks. Heheh as unfortunate as that sounds
It made me giggle! I did get power back after a restart? Maybe a glitch? Been a couple of weeks
Since an ECU rebuild but it has been running fine, it did feel like I'd hit a cow seems ok right now
I will report any further happenings, Andy has kindly offered me some help.
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 14 at 17:24
Originally posted by Dub4life Dub4life wrote:

That's a great help guys, thanks. Heheh as unfortunate as that sounds
It made me giggle! I did get power back after a restart? Maybe a glitch? Been a couple of weeks
Since an ECU rebuild but it has been running fine, it did feel like I'd hit a cow seems ok right now
I will report any further happenings, Andy has kindly offered me some help.

If it lost power at around 1,800 - 2,000 rpm while accelerating then there is a good chance the ECU saw too much boost and went into limp-home mode to protect the engine.  When you switch the engine off and re-start it resets (until the next time).

The most common cause for the 2.5 engine getting too much boost is sticky vanes in the turbo (lots of threads here about this particular issue).
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 14 at 10:59
Carb cleaner, WD40 or equal and a bit of wiggling can sort these!

You must do more cursing than city as stop start keeps the vanes adjusting all the time.

The air gushing noise would usually be more hose leak but if the vanes are stuck and over boosting then that could pop a tube.

Hope this helps?
Dub4life View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dub4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 14 at 11:45
Can someone post a picture up of where to spray or what they look like?
Cheers!
 Post Reply Post Reply