The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

buying a house with a back boiler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 13 at 10:41
Originally posted by Alonline Alonline wrote:

Solar hot water (I have it myself) For me pay back has been five years but I got it at trade and fitted it myself no accreditaion crap, but the pump will die eventually and the system requires maintenance annually.

We're moving to a place with a solar HW panel soon (hopefully!) - what maintenance is needed? Just keep the panel clean, or more?
Adrian & Ellie
Zookeeper of a miscellany of motoring silliness, from 0.75bhp to 9ft tall.
Living life on the road in an '88 2.1 Club Joker Hightop.
http://WhereverTheRoadGoes.com
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 13 at 10:46
The cement asbestos is a Low risk item.

Just like a snake, don't poke it and it won't bite.

Your at greater risk from the car fumes in your street/road.

No breaking, sanding, wire brushing and no problems.

If you need to dispose of it check with local council. They provided the skip, we cut the u bolts and lifted and carried it out and placed in the covered locked skip. DO NOT SKIP ANYWHERE ELSE OR SELL OR SWAP IT IS A CONTROLLED WASTE!

Before moving the panels where sprayed with PVA glue watered down to bind any dust to the panels.

All as HSE guide.
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 13 at 10:50
Depending on the system, vessel charge, anti freeze level, fluid condition.

These change depending on the system.

Usually only see when the charge has gone low, the fluid boiled and turned to black stringy gunk wrecking the panels.

Looks a bit like what you get around your EGR valve.
Kev The Gas View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

BUS WANKER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev The Gas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 13 at 13:34
Totally agree with Alonline's rant about the Green deal, utter waste of our {taxpayers money} 

A friend of mine qualified as a Hip assessor just before the scheme was stopped, he is now {qualified !! }
but often  phones me for advice on what type of boiler he is assessing Thumbs Down

Some of his assessments are checked by his governing body, they queried on one of hIs assessments saying they could not see any pipes coming from the photo of the boiler he sent in, so it could not be a combi boiler FFS !!!!!!!!

WERE DOOMED !!!
T5.1 T32 LWB Kombi 140 ps. Sold

T5.1 Caravelle Executive 2.0BiTDI
180PS DSG Sold

T5.1 Kombi LWB 180 BiTDI DSG   

T6 California Beach 150 DSG
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 13 at 21:42
Originally posted by Kev The Gas Kev The Gas wrote:

Totally agree with Alonline's rant about the Green deal, utter waste of our {taxpayers money} 

A friend of mine qualified as a Hip assessor just before the scheme was stopped, he is now {qualified !! }
but often  phones me for advice on what type of boiler he is assessing Thumbs Down

Some of his assessments are checked by his governing body, they queried on one of hIs assessments saying they could not see any pipes coming from the photo of the boiler he sent in, so it could not be a combi boiler FFS !!!!!!!!

WERE DOOMED !!!

And here I was thinking I was missing something on the Green Deal!Thumbs Up
rjd1 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjd1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 13 at 12:28
if the current system is workin fine get on a gas service plan costs buttons
they come out check asses and service

and do breakdowns

think we pay £12 or somit a month to scotish gas
here for a good time not a long time
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 13 at 21:41

we have just got our keys today.. 
the boiler is a Baxi Bermuda SP 401.

it was serviced by British gas in Jan of this year..

what is this type of Baxi  like ?

also for you bods that know heating systems..  i have been told that if the main pipework around under the floors of house is in 22mm pipe it may be possible to at a later date link into this system at a different point (in this case possibly the kitchen) if we fit a more modern boiler at a later date.

if this is the case or if we could do some mods now to help things along later
  (ie so we dont need to pull the house to bits so much a few years down the line)  
 its something we think we would like to do if its of benifit.

WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 13 at 22:37
its one of the older back boilers, reliable, but old.
It will be unlikely that the pipework downstairs is 22mm, most likely to be mainly 15mm. One thing to check is if you have gravity hot water/pumped heating or if its fully pumped
16" syncro multivan
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 13 at 23:59

my dad is going to come round later in the week so we can have a good look at the system.
im happy enough with it at the moment..
it is heating the house fine at the moment.

i know some of the upstairs ststem is 22mm as have had a nose at that in a few places.
will wait till we get rid of the Nice 70´s carpet downstairs to see whats there.
it looks like the heating pipes are boxed in one side of the chimney and the hot water pipes the other side. tanl is in the room directy above.
i have not see a pump (though have not been looking for one.

its only running
3 rads downstairs and 3 1/2 upstairs (bathroom one is about a foot square..ha)

it will have to go at some point in the future as we want a log burner where the boiler sits now.

WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
boosta1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boosta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 13 at 12:51
I never had any probs with my baxi in my old house, just one issue with the main timer once; oh and the pump. found it quite simple to fix tho and even work out what all the wiring was and how it worked. was alittle costly at times but i also had crap windows and the ex ball and chain didn't know what a jumper was for LOL
think mine was a honeywell y plan ? can't remember now. Pump was at top of system next to Cylinder tho.
jasd1978 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasd1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 13 at 21:15
I have a baxi bermuda in our house it was fittted new 2004 and we moved in 2006. To be fair it hasnt missed a beat and ive never had it serviced the whole time (currently touching wood, stroking rabbits foot). It does have its down sides. You have to have a vent to the outside to feed it fresh air and ths sometimes gets a bit draughty. Also they can be a bit noisey (burning flame) so if watching a film get the sound turned up. Id keep it if i were you and worry about it if it breaks.
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 13 at 22:28
i'd get it serviced if i was you, open flue boilers pull in all the dust, lint and hair from your house. So they need the fire front taking off and a good hoover
16" syncro multivan
Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 13 at 23:16

PV during their life the cells degrade and loose out put, first couple of years no problem, but what about year 5 on? What about replacement inverter costs? Will these inverters still be available in ten years or will it be a butchery job to get another to fit as the manfacturer has moved out of it as the Green Deal failed. Have these been factored in, we are all seeing the PFI programmes starting to leave the rails due to poor projections and cost over runs.

Solar hot water (I have it myself) For me pay back has been five years but I got it at trade and fitted it myself no accreditaion crap, but the pump will die eventually and the system requires maintenance annually. If I had it done by others pay back woould have been around 11 years well outside panel warranty and pump warranty.

Back to the Baxi BBU, Still one of the most reliable products Baxi made by the Baxi Family when they owned the firm before Venture C**ts screwed it up. Ok not top efficiency.

PV panels degrade at 0.5% per annum at most and less than that if they are kept cool. Power output is guaranteed at close to 90% for 25 years typically unless you buy cheap stuff off fleabay. Inverters are the weakest link but don't really expect to do anything for 8 years + and by that time they will be a lot better. I haven't had a bad inverter for 7-8 years except one Enphase microinverter (out of 1000+).

Baxi sucks (unless yours are that much different than ours)......Giannoni HX is a very poor imitation of the Viessmann and most of the wanna bees use them so .......spend a few extra bucks for a good boiler.

Solar thermals system shouldn't need annual service unless they are oversized for the load or you take a lot of holidays. Glycol replacement every 5-7 years if the system is done right and pumps only burn out if you let air in the system or size the pump wrong.

Edited by Canada LT28 - 13 Mar 13 at 23:17
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 13 at 23:42
Originally posted by lloydy lloydy wrote:

i'd get it serviced if i was you, open flue boilers pull in all the dust, lint and hair from your house. So they need the fire front taking off and a good hoover

I'm with Loydy get open flue appliance service and flue checked and a proper terminal or make sure your insured and a will so the next of kin can drink a pint to remember when your pink and stiff in the ground.

The draught sucks all hte crap of the day into them.

jasd1978 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasd1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 13 at 20:52

I'm with Loydy get open flue appliance service and flue checked and a proper terminal or make sure your insured and a will so the next of kin can drink a pint to remember when your pink and stiff in the ground.

The draught sucks all hte crap of the day into them.

Got me worrying now. Do british gas still service these boilers? Theres a bgas bloke lives around the corner. Might give him a knock.
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 13 at 22:42
they'll service it, no probs. or ring heateam (baxi) they'll service it too
16" syncro multivan
Holydiver View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Baxters Chocolate Star Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 13 at 20:57
Rip it out and get a combi you will save money in the long term

Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 13 at 21:39

they'll service it, no probs. or ring heateam (baxi) they'll service it too

You 've name two of the biggest villans in the gas market, get a decent local.

I am sorry but have seen SOME heatteam engineers and they don't inspire confidence in me.

Had to go and fix a gas leak at a boiler they left. What they did not know was we tested in the morning, fitted a hob and tested again. No leak. He attends and changes faulty gas valve in the boiler and closes it down for a leak. Yeah his leak at the boiler!
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 13 at 22:56
Same as all firms really, always a few bad ones.. Thing is, you would not believe how many warranty jobs i go to where the installer is giving it the big man saying the boiler crap why's it not working (all in front of the customer) I would say 7/10 its either undergassed to a ridiculous level, gas is turned off, hot and cold plumbed in back to front, flow and return back to front, live and neutral reversed, flue not connected, ect... 
Don't get me wrong, i'm not sticking up for heateam, but there is a lot of knob head installers too. Infact i'd get out of the game if i could think of another line of work i would enjoy
16" syncro multivan
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 13 at 09:46

Same as all firms really, always a few bad ones.. Thing is, you would not believe how many warranty jobs i go to where the installer is giving it the big man saying the boiler crap why's it not working (all in front of the customer) I would say 7/10 its either undergassed to a ridiculous level, gas is turned off, hot and cold plumbed in back to front, flow and return back to front, live and neutral reversed, flue not connected, ect... 
Don't get me wrong, i'm not sticking up for heateam, but there is a lot of knob head installers too. Infact i'd get out of the game if i could think of another line of work i would enjoy

I would too get out if I could.

Manfacturers and merchants are always telling the customer what we buy at.

Joe public wants us to work for beans but will pay a fortune for a spotty child to service their BMW.

Merchants flog shite like Honeywell controls and other makes which die after a few months and expect us to do free warranty work.

Gas Safe and the whole registration system isn not about standards or safety but about who can scalp the biggest wedge of cash out of the guys at the coal face.

I come across guys who don't know the percentage of Oxygen in the surrounding air, have CPA1 and don't understand what the figures on the anayliser means or if there not right what might be wrong!

The whole Green Deal / RHI is just another government backed scam again the trade. Nothing in it for us but plenty for the training and accreditation bodies who are cast iron sure of there money.

The whole thing looks alot more attractive to pay everyone off, sell the fleet, keep one a T5, and go no the dole and work for cash. No Vat or tax shit, work without regstration until they catch you sign on for a year and then jump off again. The Illegals never get a decent fine and if you don't kill then it will always be loose change.

If you drive without a license for a car you get buried, work on gas a finger wagged at you.

I know about under gassing, Had to go to Dundalk, called the guy two 50kw water heaters one flaming out when both on? Spoke to the guy told me they were both off a 2" steel line, Hmmm sound ok. Drove three hours, arrived took one look and laughed. Yeah they are off a 2" line with one 22mm service to do both with a dozen 90 solder elbows. Still won't take my diagonis. Put the gauge on the second fired first inlet was 17mbar on it. Lit the second. The first dropped to 10mbar and the second registered about 6mbar lit a bit, went to fire up and died at 2mbar. He really struggled to understand his problem!

But you have to admit Lloydy there are some manfacturers who design there products to fail out of warranty to fleece the crap out of the customers either in insurance plans of parts 5 to 6 times the price they should be. Examples Baxi solo fans and PCB's.Ferroli parts, Vokera electronic fans.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>