The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Michelin Easy Grip Composite Snow Chains ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Michelin Easy Grip Composite Snow Chains ???
    Posted: 21 Jan 13 at 15:55
Right you well traveled knowledgeable sods. 

I am going for a week boarding in the Van. Le Grand Bornand in France. 

I understand Snow Chains are Mandatory in some parts of the Alps. Got the winter tyres on, so covered there, but want to know if anyone has had experience of these.

Seen energysolutions had a small trial last year and said they were good, but also seen reports saying they can disintegrate after a few miles. 

In my mind these are an emergency measure where winter tyres aren't cutting the mustard and should only be used when there is snow on the road. (A fair bit of it too)

anyone any views, experience or recommendations ? (I have the Auto Socks as well btw, belt and braces)
Vanfest 2011 - Skittles Vodka
Camperjam 2011 tug n chug team
Camperjam 2013 - Lost to the Bodybuilders, but delivered in a Syncro
Tough Mudder - Fried Piggy For - Charity

So, Rae is a girl then yeah.
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 13 at 16:35
I don't know anything about chains, but regardless of they're merit I would have thought they'd need tsome sort of 'type approved' to cover the legal requirement aspect?
As an aside - Lidl are selling snow chains in a crry-case for £20 in various sizes

Edited by chris7ian - 21 Jan 13 at 16:40
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 13 at 16:45
...ok according to the blurb on Amazon:
"The Michelin Easy Grip Composite Snow Chain is fully approved for use in European ski resorts"
Smile
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 13 at 17:03
Originally posted by chris7ian chris7ian wrote:

I don't know anything about chains, but regardless of they're merit I would have thought they'd need tsome sort of 'type approved' to cover the legal requirement aspect?
As an aside - Lidl are selling snow chains in a crry-case for £20 in various sizes

was guna say the same! stacks of em at our local place but then again there was no snow last time i was in there!
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Muddi Camel View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muddi Camel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 13 at 17:04
one of my colleagues has just got back & had to have these or full-on chains. He opted for these & I think never actually used them - if you want I'll ask if he wants to sell.
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 13 at 17:51
More important than chains....

You fitted that propex yet?
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Kent Joker View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kent Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 13 at 18:05

We’ll have a wicked time boarding, I would love to go this year but have too many other things going on, time off and the cost make it difficult, going next season fingers crossed.

I have had loads of experience in this department, I lived and worked in the Alps for Five ski seasons back to back and been lots since, a decent set of snow tyres on a T3 should be just about as good as you will need, however on the odd occasion when there not quite up to it,  get a decent set of chains they will last for donkey years if you take them of as soon as you get on to a clean road surface, just buy some on the way down they are relatively cheap in the services.

Over the years I tried lots of different systems and all said and done its chain for the best reliable result, and in real extreme circumstance your life may well depend on them.

Keith

1990 PD TDI Westy Atlantic
traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 13 at 20:09
Originally posted by jason k jason k wrote:

More important than chains....

You fitted that propex yet?

Who ? Me ? I've had it in for 2 years now. Keep up at the back :)

energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 13 at 20:47
Yep, I have some of the Michelin offerings - worth having in my opinion

If you have winter tyres then theyre gonna work in 90-95% of conditions - the Michelins will then take over when they are out of their depth

I once fitted them at the bottom of a drive (around 250 metres long with bends and quite steep) that I had tried to climb several time previously without success - once they were on I simply drove the whole way to the top in first gear - totally drama free

I would recommend them but I doubt they are a "fit and forget" solution (they probably aint durable enough for that but thats why you use winter tyres) but more of a "get out of jail free card" 

HTH

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 13 at 21:00
Thanks Chaps. Picked up a set of the Lidl Jobs on the way home. 20 Sheets for a backup solution will do nicely. 

The 'get out of jail' and ease of fitting is what I was looking at. 

Got the winter tyres for most situations, the Snow Socks if I am stuck for a little bit, and the chains for longer / tougher requirements. 

Thinking / Hoping I won't need the socks or tyres, but ye never know! 

Anyone any other tidbits to pass on re: camping in the freezing cold in a van !!??

Desp Dan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Simple Pieman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desp Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 13 at 21:08
Drove 14 miles to work today thro 7" of Snow @ 05:15 AM with me snow socks on for the 1st Time,

Worked a treat & Well impressed Clap

took them off to get back home as most of the snow had been cleared.

Worth the money Thumbs Up 
Pie n' Bacon Meister
Porsche & Classic Car Nut
Bulldog1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bulldog1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 13 at 00:05
The Michelin composite snow chains are probably the best thing I've ever bought. We had 7 inches of snow yesterday and live in a very hilly area. I even managed to get home from work when my neighbour had to abandon his £50 000 brand new Q7 4x4. (ha, ha, ha)
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 13 at 11:58
Nothing gives you a grin watching all the 4x4 gang slithering and sliding about like fish on a beach.

Last Monday a mile from home the Merc,BMW,Landrover Discovery and Rangerover club got together on the hill climb stuck fast.

Cops falling on there arse pushing, even the citybus got 500 yards further before getting stuck on the corner.

I chuffed up the outside with chains on, a WPC,"Sir the road is impassable", me"yeah for those no prepared. "

In first and away up the hill past the bus and round the corner no probs.

Ordinary tyres but the chains work great.

Was getting some looks thoughSmile
 Post Reply Post Reply