The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to disable immobilizer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wpenrice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to disable immobilizer
    Posted: 26 Dec 12 at 16:27
HELP!
Tried to start T5 with spare key but set alarm off.
Now even when using key with alarm fob the immobilizer seems to be on.
Engine starts but dies within 2 seconds.
Glow plug and car/key lights flashing on the dash.
What can I do to start the van/reset the immobilizer?
mercman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 12 at 17:30
have you tried locking it with original key then unlocking it  to reset it . if not rac etc
1985 mercedes 280sl (107) 1983 pop top westie joker 1985 honda acty pick up
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 12 at 20:36
Originally posted by wpenrice wpenrice wrote:

Engine starts but dies within 2 seconds.

That definitely sounds like the immobilizer cutting the engine out.  Putting keys in locks and locking unlocking only synchronizes the remotes for locking/unlocking, nothing to do with engine immobiliser (they are completely different sub-systems).

AFAIK there is no way an owner using only keys can unprogram the immobiliser, so I would suspect something wrong with the immobiliser chip in the keys, or a fault with the immobiliser chip reader which lives in the steering column near the "ignition" lock (this would be quite a rare fault, but I have read of it).

Did the spare key ever work  the engine properly ?  

Have you ever had trouble with your "good" key starting the engine ?

Seems a bit of an odd coincidence that your good key stopped working straight after you used your spare key.

It's an extremely long shot, but try disconnecting your battery for a few hours and try starting again.  I don't think it will work. but it is easy and cheap to try, so worth having a go. 

Methinks it may be time to get it looked at by some one with a code reader (eg VAGCOM or VCDS or a dealer or a REALLY good auto electrician/locksmith with T5 experience).

IIRC it is extremely difficult to properly bypass the immobiliser on T5s.   I have a vague idea there are some very creative people who might have done it to enable remote starting.  But they may have cheated and just stuck a programmed chip next to the reader, so the immobiliser would never activate.

Please let us know how you get on with this one, it will be useful for us to know what was going on.

Edited by gregozedobe - 26 Dec 12 at 20:38
wpenrice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wpenrice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 12 at 11:46
OK found a solution thanks to the AA
Confirmed as immobilizer fault
Solution was to leave the key in the ignition with the ignition on for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes van started with no problems.
Thanks for your help on this one
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 12 at 13:07
Thanks for letting us know what fixed yours

Quote  Solution was to leave the key in the ignition with the ignition on for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes van started with no problems. 

I have to say that is a new one on me, never heard of it before.
Berisford View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berisford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 12 at 15:16
Is that it then, problem fixed by 30 minutes on in the barrel, gone away, never to return?
Senate Square, Helsinki, 12 June 1993.
zedzedeleven View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zedzedeleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 12 at 15:39
Never heard of that one either, back in the day it could have burnt yer points out, how things change eh?
1.9 85ps swb 2004 in friesan green.

bring me sunshine.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 12 at 03:56
Both keys working properly now ?
dbug View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

I Luv Glynwoods I do!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 12 at 05:01
Mate had similar fault with a beetle, removed positive off battery touched positive cable onto negative to ground out electrics. Re attached positive to battery and engine fired up first turn with no further issues ....
 Post Reply Post Reply