The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grr, AFN problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grr, AFN problems
    Posted: 24 Oct 12 at 07:25
Last couple times I've driven the van it's felt fine, but a bit down on power, then it would drop into limp mode. I'd cycle the ignition, then it would go back to normal. Now it seems to be staying in this low power mode (not limp mode) basically there is not as much boost as there should be and the boost pressure stays low until pretty high up the rev range(and even then it pegs at around 10psi, normally 15-17psi)
. I am thinking either N75 or vacuum pipes? Or maybe stuck vanes on actuator? MAF readings are lower than what the ecu is expecting, but this is the same with my spare MAF, I presume this is because the ecu is expecting more boost hence more air? I can also here the turbo whistle as normal, but as said the actual boost pressure is lower than normal.
Am I looking in the right area? Meant to be going away saturday and I'm working all hours at the moment, fucking typical
16" syncro multivan
monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 12 at 07:50
What faults are you getting? Boost pressure valve is another to try...
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 12 at 08:02
No fault codes logged even when it went into limp mode (using one of those £5 eBay leads)
The N75 is the boost pressure valve as far as I'm aware? I'm leaning toward this as the person who put the engine in told me this valve was 'screaming' until he gave it a knock.so maybe it's sticking?
16" syncro multivan
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 12 at 08:24
Edit.. just looked up an old text, it was the egr (n18) that was noisy. Well that's what he wrote,....
16" syncro multivan
timmythedog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 12 at 08:46
No codes coming up? That is bizarre. I tried the Mr Muscle oven cleaner into the turbo method. Well worth a go. remove your egr into exhaust manifold(or blanking plate) and feed a long tube straight down into the correct vein chamber, connected to the oven cleaner. Blast it full, wait an hour or so, and then go for a drive.

Maybe you need to hook up to a better code reader as well though?

It's not going into a defaulr rpm mode is it, cos that's throttle pot?
Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 12 at 13:10
No, it revs quite freely up to 4600.
The free vcds lite I have has picked up other codes in the past, so I kinda trust it.
Picking up a new N75 in around an hour, will try that and report back
16" syncro multivan
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 12 at 15:55
Good news! Had a good look around the engine bay as I managed to get home in daylight. Found two kinked vacuum hoses,, basically where the main vacuum hose is I have two hoses T'd into it going to the n75 and n18. Instead of using a little silicone elbow a straight bit of fuel pipe (same as between the injectors) had been used and just folded over. I reckon over the months they have been getting worse until the stage they have almost closed up, giving me poor vacuum. Straightened them up and big boost! 20psi now, never been that high.
Back to work now, will give a bit more of the story later
16" syncro multivan
timmythedog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 12 at 16:34
and relaxSmile
Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 12 at 17:13
simplest things sometimes - strange it didn't show up codes though...
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 12 at 18:10
On Tdi's of this era/age can you check requested/supplied boost on measuring blocks? Might help for future reference.

(cant remember what number it is or if its available on shareware version though, sorry)
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

fufflenarnia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 12 at 18:28
Good news

So off to York for the weekend?
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 12 at 18:33
Elvis, you can't get boost reading on the shareware version. But you can see MAF requested and actual and that will show lower than expected readings due to the turbo not boosting and sucking the air through
And yes fuffle, off to York
Little things can cause big problems.... Shame I didn't notice the fault until after I had fitted a new N75
Thanks for the help
16" syncro multivan
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 12 at 18:39
Surprised an under boost wasn't seen but yeah, simple things often cause the big problems.....and it's always best to trial somebody else's expensive component before shelling out for a shiney new part!

Have you ever run with no egr system? Is it still all connected up or blanked off?
lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 12 at 18:43
At least I have a N75 for my other engine
My egr is connected but opening values altered so it doesn't open. It did go into limp mode a couple times, would cycling the ignition clear the code?
16" syncro multivan
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 12 at 18:53
No, but it would stop the limp ness, code will be stored for 50 starts or something but won't affect running etc. I would be inclined to fully block that egr off, it's just one more thing to go fucked if say the valve did open a smidge and stick,
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 12 at 18:59
Mines reading too high at the mo, boost leak somewhere. 99% sure its been chipped and its only making about 230 bhp. Its slow as fuck at the mo

lloydy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lloydy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 12 at 19:00
Might well do that when I replace my vac lines as looks like it been fitted by someone who was thinking of spaghetti. Plus it's all in fuel pipe? Is that right? I thought people used silicone.
Egr wise, blank at what end
16" syncro multivan
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 12 at 19:00
What this on then? The TT?
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 12 at 19:05
Originally posted by lloydy lloydy wrote:

Might well do that when I replace my vac lines as looks like it been fitted by someone who was thinking of spaghetti. Plus it's all in fuel pipe? Is that right? I thought people used silicone.
Egr wise, blank at what end
blank at the manifold or the valve, makes no odds really but the valve will come off easier, if it runs fine and doesn't chuck a low flow code up then may as well loose the valve, vac pipe, and as much as poss of the system, I suspect if you lose the n18 it will sulk, my early 1z hasn't noticed it even gone yet! Later systems are a bit more fussy.

Leak off pipe is what vw used for all the vac plumbing...or silicone vac tube but I find it can snap or tear in two quite easy, fuel pipe is a bit big but lone as its all air tight will work...
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 12 at 19:12
Yarp!

Worlds cheapest TT.

225 quattro, dents and cracks on most panels/plastics , 10 previous owners , been clocked (at least once) , 138k ish SHOWING on clock has been written off previously aswell (cat c or d declared), no service history until the last owner bought it

previous owner was an estate agent and threw money at it. In last couple of years has had 

2 Major services
1 full cam belt/tensioner by main dealer 20 k miles ago
every front end bush done
all front end ball joints done
majority of rear bushes done
new set of tyres few months back
lots of tax and mot left
recent discs and pads all round (all oe parts)
 brake fluid change recently
 haldex fluid and filter change recently

the day i bought it she had just (the day before and she collected me from station and went straight to the garage to pay the bill)  the sump dropped off and cleaned, new oil pick up and pump, oil and filter, new pressure switch - she didnt even ask for a contribution towards bill!!!

Just had a new MAF on it and it flys but still a bit wooley - ordered a new pipe that i can see has split and both cats are being cut out and replaced with straight pipe as VCDS all points towards blocked/collapsed cats.

Took it into main dealers last week and had 4 new coils for free under recall system (or product enhancement as they call it)

Wont tell you how much i paid but ridiculously cheap! BAM engine so if/when i stack it , the murder wagon gets a new heart!

Edited by ELVIS - 24 Oct 12 at 19:15

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>