The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Bus Park
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - T3 Autosleeper Hightop - PD 130bhp + A4 6spd g'box
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T3 Autosleeper Hightop - PD 130bhp + A4 6spd g'box

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 21>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T3 Autosleeper Hightop - PD 130bhp + A4 6spd g'box
    Posted: 22 Oct 12 at 12:05
Hi all,

Having done loads of work on my van, I am going to try to recreate the thread I
should have written - why? Not a clue, must be boredom or a sick sense of
community, wanting to help the others in the T3 asylum.

So here goes.....

First a confession, having 2 young kids we really facied the idea of a camper,
we started on a Mazda bongo, drawn in by the luxuries of air con, fuel economy,
reliability, electric everything etc. It was good, a rust free 8 seat diesel
manual bus we used as an every day er for Mrs Fuf. After a while we converted
it to a full camping interior. The kids liked it, but the bed was much too
narrow and as a daily drive it was a bit tricky as Mrs was back to teaching and
none of the other teachers could park, the just used to bounce off it! The fuel
bills were a bit big too for a daily.

So in August 2010 we did a car review and it was decided my old Porsche 944 convertible would
go (looked nice, but we never used it), as would the bongo, and we would buy a
sensible car and a VW T3.

I made good money on the bongo, and lost a bit on the pork. We bought a polo
for Mrs Fuf and I went out having read all the advice and bought the first bus
I saw!
4th September 2012:<br style="mso-special-character: line-break;">
I knew it was a project, but even still was impressed at the use of gloss paint and newspaper to recreate wheel arches and sills!

The lack of servo assistance on the brakes (vacuum pipe kinked) and the coolant leak added to the driving experience:
The interior was very good, but seats very rotten, and everything very 'brown'

So, work began - 9" grinder first!</span>

Edited by fufflenarnia - 13 Aug 14 at 15:17
fufflenarnia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 12 at 12:35
So.....

As expected the bottom 12" of steel needed changing. Sills, steps, wheel arches, a small bit of one outrigger, front around windscreen, rear valance, rear window surrounds (why didn't they rust treat before fitting windows?) etc.. I wont go into much detail as you can see this stuff anywhere!

The worst bit was when I discovered that the bake rack had been fitted to prevent me spotting the fact there was no steel under the corners of the hightop roof - they had rotted away.
So, I cut around the seal, lifted the van up (I bought a 4 post car lift off ebay a few years ago for £86!, mysteriously a frequency converter fell out of the back of a tower crane and I ended up with a working lift. A small amount of butchery with a chain saw on the garage roof means I can get the van about 1 m in the air), strapped the hightop to the roof joists and lowered the van away:

The rust holes correspond to the rivet holes.....
So after much cutting and welding I ended up with:

So a few kilos of filler later and some paint and the roof is ready to go back on - amazingly Autosleeper still sell the roof seals. 3 tubes of sickaflex and....

Roof on, new bumpers, Merc alloys, new windscreen (I cracked the old one trying to refit it, but a new one supplied and fitted £115!), lots of satin black (brown gloss had been on the mirrors, rear vents, wiper arms....some sort of shit two tone effect?....) and a full valet and we were ready for our first camping trip in April

Edited by fufflenarnia - 22 Oct 12 at 16:17
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 12 at 13:14
So, first trip out, May 2011 with friends to West Wittering:

Looking great, but the engine doesn't like starting much and the exhaust is screwed. It needs a carb rebuild, a bloody good coolant flush and a full system, but that's a winter job.

I had the livery applied - the original was too brown, so we went blue, and had curtains to match - the seats would be done eventually to match aswell.

Our first VW event - Camperjam. 5 hours to get to Knebworth - M25 F**ked, we blew a coolant hose and then, well, its just a long way!:
Camperjam 2011 031'>277442_10150250177682508_666672507_7287322_7590323_oCamperjam 2011 029'>

So then a trip to Brigton Breeze 2011 - such a cracking weekend, we stopped over in Littlehampton and went to he beach the next day!
Van only no awning.

So, Sorn for the winter awaiting an engine swap - GTI here we come!.

Edited by fufflenarnia - 22 Oct 12 at 14:12
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 12 at 13:42
So Winter 2011, engine swap time!

A 1996 GTI was sourced for £150, good engine (which wouldn't start due to a knackered coil), fair body etc.

Engine out. New timing belt fitted, sump, engine mounts, diesael flywheel and clutch done and in she goes!
Immobiliser temporarily connected
Note Garyd's instructions in the background!
ECU behind off side lightFuel filter housing from golf, pump for Porsche 944 with separate banjo - not the best option!
Air mass behind rear light, Sharan intake pipe - GTI air box cut open to make an adaptor and an off the shelf 80mm air filter fitted:
Hitachi air mass behind rear light, gold air filer housing cut up t0o give 80mm pipe with K&amp;amp;amp;amp;N style filter clamped onElectrics, IP44 fuse box

I also fitted the golf speedo, so needed to relocate the brake fluid reservoir - this from a Fiat Uno:
Reigate and Banstead-20120228-00065
And this adaptor from Germany:
T3-CockpitAdapter-2
For VSS I used the golf sensor, the red gear turned down and shorthened - there is a nice square inside it which fits beautifully into the end of the T3 speedo cable - a peice of heater hose holds it in place and a speedpulse unit (from the same guy who makes the adapror above) gets the speedo 100% against a GPS. I also fitted home-brewed EPAS to make life a bit easier.

Lots of debate on the air filter position, I had a kit of a Mk4 GTI turbo, so I cut that apart and tried this:
Reigate and Banstead-20120331-00111Reigate and Banstead-20120330-00101
I even tucked it in above the ECU, but decided it was choking the engine too much (no proof, just a suspicion). So got this from a Volvo V40, filter behind rear light again, but further back so less likely to suck up water coming down the vent:
IMG_20120907_132819.jpgIMG_20120907_132452.jpg
IMG_20120907_144643.jpg'>

Edited by fufflenarnia - 22 Oct 12 at 14:14
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 12 at 14:01
So, Summer 2012, all GTI'd up with a fresh MOT. Problem is the weather is s**t!

We made it to Wowo campsite in East Sussex, hmmm composting loos phew....
Too windy! Awning looses 4 poles within 2 hours!

So first proper trip is to Vias Plage in the south of France:
First stopover - Kyham awning has gone, nice Fiamma caravanstore and a separate 'Gazebo', just a nice tall tent with no floor, but 4 doors and windows. First stop over:
Note the nice seats (all done just before the summer - still paying!) and the genius use of the last bit of the Golf Mk4 induction system to make a holder for the DVD on the table leg:

2nd stopover was at Clermoint Ferrand - too hot, I slept in the tent with my 9 year old and Mrs Fuf and our 7 year old in the camper with the doors open!

The Millau Bridge:

3rd stop on Lac De Salegou - stunning:
And then on to Siblu at Vias Plage - a nice air conditioned caravan, spot on for the start, it was over 40c outside. Site was too noisy, great site, but too noisy!

The van has done brilliantly - engine noise is a bit high due to the exhaust and fuel pump, surreptitious use of cable ties quietens the pump a little and despite a second silencer the exhaust is still a problem - another winter job.... Engine revs are high too which adds to the noise, we sat at around 70mph and o readingended up with 24.5mpg (should be spot on as speedo is very accurate against GPS) 

And home again, no where near as hot, but a stop at Decathlon has ended up with a new 'easy erect' tent which is perfect....:

Note the olympic towel..... over, but not forgotten..

Edited by fufflenarnia - 22 Oct 12 at 16:21
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 12 at 14:18

So the winter jobs?:

Passat/A4 flipped gearbox.
Lowered suspension
Poly bushes on the front
Reduce the tyre size back to standard (ish) - anyone want oversize wheels/tyres?
Replace backplate on rear o/s (rotten)
Get the cruise control working
Fix the passenger side seat which won't swivel anymore.
New lino floor - one of those liminous stick things the kids get leaked on it so it looks like someone has gone mad with a highlighter pen on it!
Quieten the exhaust - probably get a stainless silencer built.

Plan the next holiday - probably back to France again.....

Edited by fufflenarnia - 22 Oct 12 at 16:00
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 12 at 15:35
excellent stuff...

as for a silencer, I used a stainless 2.1 back box and it was nice and quiet
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 12 at 15:37
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 12 at 15:53
That looks spot on.

Are you going turn use the same on the 1.8t?
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 12 at 16:26
naah, I am still going for the one good quality silencer, but will get one made up with twin rear exits!  Plus I want at least 3" tubing from the turbo on the next version.
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 12 at 16:49
cracking build thread fella!!Clap

like you we love france!!

keep us posted on your winters laboursWink
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

squareblau View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squareblau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 12 at 21:44
Nice!
my parents have a similar van to how yours started out, I can see them finding a few jobs for me when they see how yours has turned out!
As above ^^ the stock style silencer is good for conversions, not that I listened to that piece of advice!! but I like a bit of noise from my motors
'89 Pickup (Syncro-ish, don't ask!;-)) had EJ22 scooby power till I broke it, soon to be EJ25 propelled
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 12 at 08:41
Nice build thread, I wish I had done one when I gtid mine
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 12 at 21:54
I put in the extra silencer which helped, but the main box is for a diesel so has no wadding in it:

And the front seats look like:

Only problem is I can't go near them in overalls!

Edited by fufflenarnia - 24 Oct 12 at 21:55
beeswax View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Hullard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeswax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 12 at 19:05
Some excellent work there Steve Thumbs Up

You got the backplate on yet?
T3Panel View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 12 at 21:19
Originally posted by mrhutch mrhutch wrote:

excellent stuff...

as for a silencer, I used a stainless 2.1 back box and it was nice and quiet

My 2.1stainless backbox is fecking loud. Go figure!

Cracking work Steve, and it looks even better in the flesh, although you hadn't had the seats done last time I saw you.
1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
1.8T Conversion sat on an engine stand waiting for spare time.
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 12 at 21:23
Hi, thanks,

I've not even opened the parcel yet, another job for the winter. 

T3Panel View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 12 at 21:27
Originally posted by fufflenarnia fufflenarnia wrote:

Hi, thanks,

I've not even opened the parcel yet, another job for the winter. 

Winter? Feels like its already here to me. All my jobs are now waiting for summer, but then some of us don't have a luxury garage to hide in
1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
1.8T Conversion sat on an engine stand waiting for spare time.
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 12 at 19:29
Thanks Barney,

Even with a garage its too bloody cold, I need proper heating but that's just like opening my bank account to EDF!

The seats are grill, but I know I will be paying for them for a long time.

I must get agreed value added to my insurance next time.

Happy days, I am busy harvesting parts for the gearbox at the moment, plus lots of decorating and stuff to tidy up after the loft conversion.

Truck racing a Brands tomorrow which is always good
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 12 at 14:12
Hi all,

So winter work ongoing.

I have the gearbox out and all the suspension off:

Rust holes to fill, luckily the mounts are salvageable:

New bushes to be fitted to the trailing arms as I had to cut one out (bolt seized in the bush). So I made a tool from this:

To this:

To this:

And this:

And, off the lathe:

Resulting in this:

Well chuffed!

I have also converted the rear drums to calipers (Audi a3 with golf carriers and Sharan disks):

Now back to welding and playing with bush!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 21>