The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12v socket not working as should

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smatthews Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12v socket not working as should
    Posted: 19 Aug 12 at 17:50
Very confused!!!!!! Have just come back from my first weekend away in the van and found out after trying to hook kids DVDs up that the 12v socket isn't working although when tested with a muli metre it shows power when engine on and off??????? Tried 2 other device and still no charge. Am I missing something????
Steve
Berisford View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berisford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 12 at 21:43
Originally posted by smatthews smatthews wrote:

Am I missing something????

It would appear so, is it on one of those 'will work for 10 minutes' after you shut down plans like my Golf?

Did you try the DVD device with the engine on?
Senate Square, Helsinki, 12 June 1993.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 12 at 22:39
Maybe there is no earth on the socket. If you used any other convenient place on the van as an earth for your meter rather than the faulty socket itself that could explain your readings. Smile
2004 2.5 174
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 12 at 02:14
Mine seems to be permanently live, but I sometimes have to wiggle the plug around to get a good enough contact to run my fridge.
Proglz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proglz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 12 at 05:56
Your right Greg, they are permanently live, although mine died so we put the test light on it , power to the socket but no power "in" the socket. Warranty claim through VW but you can't just replace the socket that'd be too easy, the entire ashtray/ drink holder unit must be replaced as you can't separate the parts. 2 hrs labour + my time to go wait and collect Grrrrrrr ! 
smatthews View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smatthews Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 12 at 09:28
Tried it with engine on and off giving out 12 - 14v also tried charging a phone and sat nav, the lights are coming on the chargers but nothing going to devices although when I put the multi metre at the end of the DVD cable it still gives a reading but DVD still not working.
Steve
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 12 at 10:42
Can you try it with something simple like a cigarette lighter to make sure it can actually supply a decent amount of current to something ?

There may be faults/poor connections with the chargers you are using.  

Another possibility is the fuse may be a bit dodgy (#12 in the top set of fuses that live behind the cover in the dash). If it is hot to touch or works when you wiggle it try putting a new fuse in.

VW sometimes has some tricky wiring setups that supply a very small amount of current even when things are supposed to be "off" (eg my interior lights auto-switch "off" after 5-10 minutes, but there is still enough current even when in auto-off to slightly illuminate the LED replacement "globes")

Edited by gregozedobe - 20 Aug 12 at 10:43
247storm View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 247storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 12 at 18:24
Hi Guys,
I had this problem in my t32,
my cig lighter only works when my lights are on, engine on or off.

try this

Hope it works
Storm
VW master-tech View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW master-tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 12 at 15:53
Hi, 247storm, just a query has your cup holder/ashtray been replaced ?
the only reason i ask is that the lighter should be permantly fed, on some new cupholders the wiring for the cigar lighter and lighter illumination are the wrong way (the pins can be removed and swapped round) round the colours should match from the vehicle loom into the wiring inbuilt into the cupholder. It sounds to me as it only works with the lights on that the dash illumination feed is powering your cigar lighter.

I would look into this as whatever you connect to the cigar lighter will be drawing current down the small wires for the dash illumination which isnt good unless you fancy the 80's pop video fog machine look in your van.
247storm View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 247storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 12 at 10:13
Hi VW Tech MAster,
Thanls for the concern, I will have a look at some point, i very rarley use it as i have 240 and 2 other 12v sockets in the back.

And i am only charging a mobile on it once in a blue moon, so hopefully this will be ok?

I have no idea if it has been changed, but i purchased the van aT3k miles, so i am guesing it wouldnt have been changed that early in life?

Storm
Whatdents View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whatdents Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 19 at 20:14
Hi Storm, 
I am exactly the same as you,
Did you find a solution.
I have a T6 with top dash socket and one near the center consul. After plugging a 12v cigarette connector there was a flash and now if you plug it in a red led ignites on the male cigarette socket that connects to the USB port  but does not power garmin or mobile phone.
I have tried all fuses and replaced 12v cigarette socket. 
I need the power as i use my mobile or gps for driving abroad.

Also the surround of the 12v socket does not light up.

Any help would be appreciated 
247storm View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 247storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 19 at 21:23
Since the last post I am now the manager of mbee campervans in devon. Try this for your t6

I know you have checked the fuses but check this fuse 
As you look at the fuse board below the gear stick. You will see rows and banks of fuses. But if you look to the left past all the main fuse boards, you will see a lonely fuse, pain to change. So try that one. 

Let me know how you get on
Hope this helps
247storm View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 247storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 19 at 21:25
Originally posted by 247storm 247storm wrote:

Since the last post I am now the manager of cambee campervans in devon. Try this for your t6

I know you have checked the fuses but check this fuse 
As you look at the fuse board below the gear stick. You will see rows and banks of fuses. But if you look to the left past all the main fuse boards, you will see a lonely fuse, pain to change. So try that one. 

Let me know how you get on
Hope this helps
Whatdents View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whatdents Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 19 at 07:47
hi  247Storm, 
Are you talking about the 30amp bottom center
247storm View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 247storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 19 at 10:44
Hi 
I cant upload an photo 

It's a 20anp all by itself in a empty bank of fuse board o the left 

It is hard to see and it's set back a little 

Charlie Dog View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 19 at 11:02
Probably your simplest solution
is to fit another fag lighter socket.

Power it off a piggy back fuse.

On the other hand, it may be that 
that the plug is pushing itself
out of the socket.

A decent plug will solve it.
247storm View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 247storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 19 at 11:14
247storm View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 247storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 19 at 11:15
That fuse
Sorry it took a while.
the yellow one, it is actually set back from the main board, the angle makes it look flush with the main fuse board
Charlie Dog View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 19 at 14:04
Most fuses can be tested in place.

If you look at the back carefully
you will see two shiny bits of metal.

Put your multimeter on Ohms.
The lowest setting 
usually has a buzzer.

Dob the multimeter lead ends
on the metal bits.

If your meter buzzes,
the fuse is good.

I always test the buzzer
before I use it
by dobbing the lead ends together.

Whatdents View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whatdents Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 19 at 16:39
 All fuses have been checked, 
I have replaced  the  12v outlet next to gearstick, the surround still does not light up..
If you plug a charger with USB point in it will light up the charger but will not charge the phone. I have been using the same belkin car chargers for all my Van's and cars. I have found an old 2 way 12v outlet with one USB port and a flashlight on. The phone charges only through the usb on the 2 way outlet. A bonus us now I can charge a phone whilst using it for Satnav. It charges on fast charge as opposed to the usb that comes built in with the van that charges at slow speed  . 
I have been to the vw van centre, and they can not work out why this is happening. So I have a solution for work but it looks ugly having a bulking 2 way 12v  spitter coming out of the 12v socket. I would have liked to sort it out in case I sold her
Thanks 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>