The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windscreen washer pipes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bananaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windscreen washer pipes
    Posted: 19 Aug 12 at 17:04
Has anyone else had the right royal pain in the arse of finding that their windscreen washers don't work due to the washer pipe under the bonnet splitting? Mine has split next to the bonnet hinge, simple I thought I will just bob a connector in but some bright spark from vw thought it would be a good idea to use corrugated plastic piping that you can't reconnect! Electrical tape is holding it together for now but surely there must be a better fix out there? I have found on the other channel that someone has found a connector that fits that's available from rs but wondered if anyone had found anything better? Any solutions would be welcomed!
T5 T32 SWB Kombi 130ps
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 12 at 17:11
Good ain't they...used on all the new stuff for a few years now and even taped into the looms behind the dash on some....vw do a joiner for this shit but guess what.....yup, don't work to well...either bin it all and use the old clear stuff, or ram a bit of copper brake line into it and hope.

Utter shite, a perfect example of why the new stuff is not a patch on the old, seen a few cd players and ecus ruined due to this poor quality tube stuff as well.
bananaman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bananaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 12 at 23:06
Why am I not surprised that the connector to fix it is as shit as the pipe it's been designed to fix! How hard is it to replace the entire length? Looks like a bit of a bitch to me or am I missing something?
T5 T32 SWB Kombi 130ps
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 12 at 01:14
Well not too easy...but just follow the general route of the old stuff and it will work at least.
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 12 at 02:12
Did it fail because you dared to use "non-VW approved" washer solution ?  

IIRC the fan shaped squirter outlets can block up if you use anything else, causing an increase in pressure in the lines, leading to splitting, blowing off etc.  Seems a good way of ensuring VW consumable sales (and profits) forever after.....
bananaman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bananaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 12 at 23:50
Well I must admit I haven't been using vw washer fluid but have been using a good quality neutral ph fluid. Anyhow the fix I used is one I've nicked from the other channel and it works a treat! I went to rs components and got some connectors (part No 419-7300) and they just push nicely into the pipe and join it with no leaks. All in all a total cost of £2.20-bargain!
T5 T32 SWB Kombi 130ps
Baytown View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baytown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 12 at 02:53
G'day fellas.
I had the same issue, and can,believe how difficult such a basic item has been made.
I purchased the VW replacement line, $90 Australian and no connectors! It was useless.
I ended up using 4mm clear line with an angled 4mm connector. It's hanging in there but needed the angle connector at the angle caused when the bonnet closes as it crinks the line on its self .

Best wishes all.

Ken.
2007 128kw LWB Manual White Van
2009 VW Tiguan 103 TDI Auto
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 12 at 15:15
Thanks very much !!! (not)  You've all jinxed me.

I've just looked at my washer pipe and it's broken too (yes, near the hinge of the bonnet like everyone else's).  What a shit design !  Crappy materials and then clamped down so much all the bending is done in one small spot, so of course it breaks.

I don't know how long it has been buggered, as I rarely use my windscreen washers (it doesn't rain very often here, and I frequently clean my w'screen by hand to get it really clean).

I'll look at routing the replacement line a bit differently so it doesn't "crink".
bananaman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bananaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 12 at 16:09
I blame Eric!
T5 T32 SWB Kombi 130ps
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 12 at 09:17
Cricky all this complaining you will start being called grumpy like me!LOL

VW only make high quality products for which we pay a premium!
tomjojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomjojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 12 at 17:23
Nightmare!!!

I spliced in a piece of 4mm silicone tube with some 4mm ID push connectors from RS Components. £5 fix and perfect.

If you want a picture, I'll take one later. It's a design flaw in my opinion. Mine split in two.
Regards
MF
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 12 at 23:44
Originally posted by tomjojo tomjojo wrote:

If you want a picture, I'll take one later. It's a design flaw in my opinion. Mine split in two.

Yes please, I need to do mine.  I agree it is definitely a design flaw, and a pretty obvious one when you have a good look at how the pipe is routed in the bonnet hinge area.

Edited by gregozedobe - 16 Sep 12 at 23:45
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 12 at 00:29
So just imagine....I'm at work, a van comes in, the washer are not working, how am I supposed to fix this shit? Customer won't like bits of silicone pipe or joiners from maplins and won't be to keen on paying for half an hours labour either....and that's assuming it's even visible or accessible, oh and the repair needs to last 2 years or I have to do it again for nowt...the vw joiners don't work and as the repair is on a bend niether will anything else known to man...utter toss!
Baytown View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baytown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 12 at 01:06
I have 10 foot of genuine corregated VW washer tube going cheap! (If you can work out how to connect it to a joiner (not supplied in the kit!), let us know!)
Hot water, hot air, flame, nothing works.
At least the 4mm tube and connectors, elbows work. Hide them under black electrical tape and it'll look more acceptable.

Best wishes mate.

Ken
2007 128kw LWB Manual White Van
2009 VW Tiguan 103 TDI Auto
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 12 at 09:39
I am shocked, a VW tech not support VW superior designs?
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 12 at 21:49
Originally posted by Alonline Alonline wrote:

I am shocked, a VW tech not support VW superior designs?

Believe it...the best days in my opinion were 85-95. Went down hill from there and today it's just fancy plastic..
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 12 at 22:07
Well I am impressed, an honest man that speaks the truth!Handshake

I thought when VW brain washed anyone to do with dealerships they were not allowed to speak in disapproving terms.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 12 at 00:26

I thought when VW brain washed anyone to do with dealerships they were not allowed to speak in disapproving terms. 

That's what happens in Oz.  A while back a VW tech was threatened with the sack after joining in on a  discussion on VW watercooled about how the (then new) twin charge engine in Golfs was rather frequently melting pistons/rings.  All relevant posts were then censored or deleted by the mods (including all the ones by other people).  I don't go on that forum much these days.
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 12 at 09:18
Originally posted by gregozedobe gregozedobe wrote:

That's what happens in Oz.  A while back a VW tech was threatened with the sack after joining in on a  discussion on VW watercooled about how the (then new) twin charge engine in Golfs was rather frequently melting pistons/rings.  All relevant posts were then censored or deleted by the mods (including all the ones by other people).  I don't go on that forum much these days.

Thats disgraceful - hopefully everyone else did similar

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 12 at 10:09
Don't mention Censors here, that is a touch thread I thought was closed and would never be mentioned againShocked
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>