The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

our new home brew interior

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: our new home brew interior
    Posted: 15 Aug 12 at 17:00

the van as she is now .... thanks to all those kind folks that helped. The van walls, ceiling, door cards, worktops and cupboards are covered in old maps, none of which cost more than 1 little £, and have had several coats of varnish. The woodwork and door surrounds are hand painted with flowers, and has had several coats of varnish. The dash board, toilet, and part of the headlining are covered in small squares of off-cut maps, and have had several coats of varnish. The cushions and pillows are souvenir tea towels, with maps on. The bench seats turns into an L shaped or U shaped couch, or a large king bed. The flooring is hand-painted cork tiles, with, erm, a few coats of varnish. Next year she'll be getting slapped with the rustoleum roller, and will sport a cute little chimney for the as yet to be installed multi-fuel stove :)
link to the full album

Edited by topsy - 15 Aug 12 at 17:19
Dreamcatcher View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 12 at 17:31
Big smile Love what you have done to the van, guess  you wont get lost in a hurry!!

HugGreat Job and origional too.
Dave 1991 LT31 Camper
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 12 at 18:15
I thought while reading the description that the scheme would be too busy, but the maps are less gaudy than I expected.

Very, very nice indeed, and the red doors with flowers are a neat break from the gentle confusion of the maps.Clap
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 12 at 18:19
Can just see the morning after a long night before...

Q: Ohhhh where am I?!?

A: Where do you want to be?

LOL
fragilecolin View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fragilecolin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 12 at 19:31
Absolutely fantastic, true spirit of a camper van.
Quite jealous now
On bended knee is no way to be free.
topsy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 12 at 08:22
thanks folks, had to change the engine eearly in the year, so after that I had to make her mine Big smile

loved using my old map collection, it now takes ages to make a cuppa as I read the maps and forget myselfSmile
Gtavalanche View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
"I'm learnding"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtavalanche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 12 at 09:07
That looks rally cool and original, suits the van a treat! 
I taste Hurty!
BigAl68 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAl68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 12 at 16:12
Originally posted by topsy topsy wrote:

it now takes ages to make a cuppa as I read the maps and forget myselfSmile

Hope it doesn't take over long when I come round LOL. Is monday afternoon ok?

Cheers

Allan Thumbs Up
1995 LT 35 Self Built Camper 2.4 TDI
volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 12 at 16:59

thanks folks, had to change the engine eearly in the year, so after that I had to make her mine Big smile

You managed that one LOL .  Thats nice, as someone else said, I wasn't sure from the description but it's works well, very original.  Makes a great anti-theft system, who needs smart water and thatcham alarms!
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
Bayleaf View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bayleaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 12 at 15:44
Truly inspirational , ive been trying to think of something original to finish off my interior. So how is it achieved, do you spray mount the maps to the surface to be covered then i suppose industrial quantities of varnish to seal it Wacko
96 LT 35 2.4D
topsy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 12 at 19:47
the covering under was lining paper over the ply, mostly pva glue or wallpaper border adhesive for the maps, followed by two coats of water based varnish to seal them, then 2 or 3 coats of yacht varnish, more on the worktops. On some areas (loo, dashboard etc) I had to use proper contact adhesive. Very time consuming, but fun (honest!)

Edited by topsy - 18 Aug 12 at 19:48
topsy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 12 at 20:05
Originally posted by BigAl68 BigAl68 wrote:

it now takes ages to make a cuppa as I read the maps and forget myselfSmile

Hope it doesn't take over long when I come round LOL. Is monday afternoon ok?

Cheers

Allan Thumbs Up

monday is good after 3 ish, the van is having it's first run out tomorrow night  Smile
BigAl68 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAl68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 12 at 11:30
Will do some bits on mine then will call to see what's up with your door. Have fun on your trip. See you tomorrow.

Cheers

Allan
topsy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 12 at 08:56
thanks for the help Allan, will get that bearing orderd this week Big smile
BigAl68 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAl68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 12 at 13:41
No problem Zoe, let me know when it comes and I'll get it fitted. Hopefully I can do it before we have our rally
 Post Reply Post Reply