Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T3 crap mirrors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
judge judy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 12 at 09:17
Especially when you've come from 'rado mirrors
'83 T3 westy - biguns got it
68 buggy again!- Roger the cat is going to finish it
Syncro, previously known as the scoobyvelle

Shit I need to sell some MORE cars!
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 12 at 09:57
Syncro mirrors are the best thing going....you can see the back wheel going round as well as everything else behind you...also available heated! LT ones are usable but the lower bracket is spaced differently so some fiddling about is needed and the tube needs modifying as well, a set of genuine new syncro T3 mirrors can be found for £200 unheated.

I have a load of standard mirrors going cheap as well, but get syncro ones....you will never look back.....well you will but you will be able to see back whereas before you couldn't look back even if you wanted to.....see what I did there?
fufflenarnia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 12 at 10:06
To quote the inbetweeners "brilliant"
silverbullet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 12 at 14:24
Originally posted by rowlesy rowlesy wrote:

binned my rado mirrors for the 90's! never go back!

They do look the part, also fitted to awful Sherpa vans IIRC!  A bit like scaled-down factory wide-body Pritschenwagwen mirrors. Now if you could get the LT / 16" mirror base on it's own...
Have I missed anything?
fragilecolin View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fragilecolin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 13 at 20:50
Hey Rowlesy, you got any brackets for these?
On bended knee is no way to be free.
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 13 at 21:10
yes buddy! I just need to stick them together! if you get some mirrors make sure you ask for the fixing screws as there imperial....land rover see....imp unf metric bsf...... all in there somewhere!LOL
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fragilecolin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 13 at 21:20
Looks to my untrained eye that they are not handed, just need to swivel the mirror 180'?
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 13 at 23:17
Yep, not handed.

Absolutely brilliant - like all good ideas, I though best to copy it!

Thanks Rowlsey!
Vaniller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vaniller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 13 at 14:47
Get a cheap mirror.
Cover the round bit of the mount in impact adhesive.
Sprinkle on sand.
Allow to dry.
Put together loosely and adjust on the van.
Tape it so it doesn't move.
Take off van and tighten.
Hey presto cheap mirror that shouldn't move.
But think the landy ones look good...
Every job means my van is a bit more sorted....
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fragilecolin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 13 at 17:45
I am going for the landy ones cos they look good, they also show more of the line of admirers queuing up behind my bus when I pootle through the countryside LOL

Also, the GSF ones perish! The magic bit is already giving up and turning brown!
Allanw View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
SYCOPHANTIC TRAINEE WELSHMAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allanw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 13 at 11:25
Originally posted by fatboy fatboy wrote:

They have convex mirrors, it's fucking terrifying driving with them because you can see EVERYTHING behind you!!!!!

That would have helped today, when I backed over a recycling bin, then dragged it onto the road..... can still smell burning plastic from the exhaust LOL
Allan :-)

'84 T3 Kombi, EJ25 DOHC, apprentice Viking...

Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fragilecolin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 13 at 20:56
Lovely! Pair genuine mirrors bought from a local garage, £11:90 each and ye olde thread fixings bunged in for free Smile
How do I sort the brackets Mr Rolwsey?
Abyss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 14 at 00:07
I really need to do something...now I guess we could blame my bad driving..but seriously before owning this van Ive hit nothing..this van ive done all sorts..im not even going to say..
90 VW T3 Syncro Panel Stealth Camper

98 VW T4 Transporter 1200 LWB 2.4TD - Syncro wannabe
Dave307 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave307 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 14 at 11:35
I have a problem similar to this in that each time I hit the dual carrigeway in my van my wings mirrors like to streamline themselves and close in, so all i can see is the floor or the drivers door.

Looking at an alternative.
Like the Idea of after market ones how easy are the brackets to make up and does any one have a template.
nookie View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 14 at 23:06
To start You have a Vw that gos fast enough to fold the mirrors in WOW   I drive a defender with standard mirrors a lot!!   a hell of a lot ( for a living to pay for my T3 !! ) and frankly the mirrors are great overall and IF YOU BREAK ONE !! easy and cheap to repear I drive for pleasure a T3 with the big mirrors ( caravelle ) and yes they are good but the defender ones are a lot cheaper !! if you break one .I had a T3 with standard mirrors before and they were frankly crap !! Couldn't see a great deal behind with them
Hope this helps
Mike
1990 2.1 Syncro Caravelle Westfalia Pop Top    
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 14 at 00:14
another vote for the landy mirrors..

T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
Abyss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 14 at 02:01
OK OK they look great...now divuldge,,all the info please! (Currently scouring eBay and the like..but im sure you have something better to say anyway)
90 VW T3 Syncro Panel Stealth Camper

98 VW T4 Transporter 1200 LWB 2.4TD - Syncro wannabe
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 14 at 08:18
You need to make up brackets like these with a bit of rubber behind (old cycle inner tube is fine).

I picked up convex mirrors off eBay, cost about £35 all up.

Edited by fufflenarnia - 18 Jan 14 at 08:20
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 14 at 08:56
and i make the brackets Thumbs Up
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 14 at 09:04
And his are better than mine
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>