The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tuning options and costs for 88bhp t4??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youthy giblets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tuning options and costs for 88bhp t4??
    Posted: 02 Aug 12 at 10:17
Hi all was just wondering what the tuning options are to get a bit more go out of an 88bhp t4 tdi? I've read about converting to 102bhp spec and wondered what's involved and what the cost would be roughly, I'm capable of spannering myself.
Also is 100bhp about the reliable limit or can these be re-mapped or chipped etc??
traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 12 at 10:35
You can get em up to 150 - 160+ reliably.

Front or Top Mount Intercooler
- (£30 up to ££££) L200 IC from a Pajero can be made to fit and are cheaper than the '102' IC from VW...second hand with brackets these VW top mount IC's are fetching over a ton easy.
Front Mount can either be bought cheap on Ebay fpr 50 quid for the IC and the pipework can be cobbled together...or you can go proper and get the silicone hoses etc.

Cleaned and Blanked EGR
- Next to free ! (Blanking plate a couple of quid and some cleaner)
.216 Injectors
- £275 quid up
Remap
-£275 and up
Bigger Zorst
£400 and up

That lot would put you comfortably in the 150 bracket i would think.

If you frequent 'ex pay per view' have a look at:
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=51256

Edited by traversd - 02 Aug 12 at 10:36
Vanfest 2011 - Skittles Vodka
Camperjam 2011 tug n chug team
Camperjam 2013 - Lost to the Bodybuilders, but delivered in a Syncro
Tough Mudder - Fried Piggy For - Charity

So, Rae is a girl then yeah.
youthy giblets View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youthy giblets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 12 at 10:40
So is the only difference between an 88 and 102 the top mount IC or are the injector nozzles also different??
I understand that the egr needs blanking off but is there actually any power increase to be made buy doing so?
traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 12 at 10:55
88 to 102 differences:

Intercooler
Injector make and size
Gearbox
Clutch

Power Increase for the EGR is subjective, some reckon there is, some reckon there isn't...A lot seem to report a more freerevving engine afterwards....depends on the amount of shit that has built up on the air intake side....if will feel like a BHP increase if there is half an inch of shite caked around the intake that thes gets cleaned out.  Either way it's a good thing to do :)

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youthy giblets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 12 at 11:37
So could you just put 102 injectors straight in an 88 with intercooler and uve got 102 or is it still. Re map job?
Also when uve got upto 150bhp will the standard 88 clutch be upto the job
stretch View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
bampa G

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 12 at 12:25
No the clutch will have to be changed to a single mass flywheel clutch
Otherwise the clutch will slip like a twat
look out!!! it's the dreaded spread !

best t3 winner
Camperjam 2011 tug n chug team member

vanarchy 2006,vanarchy 2010

self confessed jaeger monster

nice vase stu
Desp Dan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Simple Pieman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desp Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 12 at 19:28
Friends had a 88 BHP & just had it remapped to give 118BHP .
Dint do owt else & they thought the transformation was marvellous
Pie n' Bacon Meister
Porsche & Classic Car Nut
BANANABUS View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
More Like BanBus!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BANANABUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 12 at 19:53
Originally posted by stretch stretch wrote:

No the clutch will have to be changed to a single mass flywheel clutch
Otherwise the clutch will slip like a twat

Only if a twat remaps it

Single mass is just as likely to slip and dual mass .

Edited by BANANABUS - 02 Aug 12 at 19:54
Committed To Famine Relief. Last Week I Sucked Off An Ethiopian

I'm Not Arguing,I'm Explaining Why I Am Right

stretch View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
bampa G

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 12 at 20:55
There We Are Then
look out!!! it's the dreaded spread !

best t3 winner
Camperjam 2011 tug n chug team member

vanarchy 2006,vanarchy 2010

self confessed jaeger monster

nice vase stu
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 12 at 21:46
Single mass kit has a increased diameter clutch plate doesn't it?
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youthy giblets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 12 at 21:51
Originally posted by Desp Dan Desp Dan wrote:

Sounds interesting, any ideas where he had it done and how much?
My last T4 was a 2.5 tdi 88 and to be honest it felt a lot less powerful than the 1.9td I had previous to that. I maybe looking to get another t4 soon hence why I'm asking all these questions. Don't want to but might have to sell the T3 to generate some more cash for new house. I just don't want to jump out of a reasonably powerful T3 and jump into a ex builders van t4 that feels like a 1.1 fiesta!!
Desp Dan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Simple Pieman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desp Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 12 at 09:10
Originally posted by youthy giblets youthy giblets wrote:

Sounds interesting, any ideas where he had it done and how much?
My last T4 was a 2.5 tdi 88 and to be honest it felt a lot less powerful than the 1.9td I had previous to that. I maybe looking to get another t4 soon hence why I'm asking all these questions. Don't want to but might have to sell the T3 to generate some more cash for new house. I just don't want to jump out of a reasonably powerful T3 and jump into a ex builders van t4 that feels like a 1.1 fiesta!!

Pendle Performance,
Had mine remapped from 102 to 130 BHP & it's more than enough (for me anyways)
Done 40000+ miles & still pulls like a train & the added advantage of increased MPG if you drive sensibly (once the novelty of booting it everywhere has worn off )
Currently touring Brittany at 47+ mpg
Cost about £300 but that included the rolling road hire check out their website.

Edited by Desp Dan - 03 Aug 12 at 09:12
Pie n' Bacon Meister
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youthy giblets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 12 at 21:42
Will do thanks.
traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 12 at 21:46

Currently touring Brittany at 47+ mpg
Cost about £300 but that included the rolling road hire check out their website.
< id="_clearly_component__" ="text/">#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Sure it's not nearer 17mpg now Bob ? Must be at least 500 litres of Cidre on board by now Big smile

donecan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donecan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 12 at 22:13
Surely must've been something proper wrong with the previous 2.5 if you felt it ran slower than the 1.9??

Bob, when you say "dint do owt else"...did their 88 have a cooler etc already on it? Or is it as simples as you say and they just rocked up and had it remapped?
Desp Dan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Simple Pieman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desp Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 12 at 17:03
No intercooler, No Nowt, just had it remapped & that was it

Job jobbed & happy peeps
Pie n' Bacon Meister
Desp Dan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Simple Pieman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desp Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 12 at 17:06
Quote Sure it's not nearer 17mpg now Bob ? Must be at least 500 litres of Cidre on board by now Big smile

Ha

Been suppin Nowt but Cidre & the Economy Hypermarche brands @ 5.5% taste no different to the leading ones & at €1.14 it's a cheap neet oot

Hic
Pie n' Bacon Meister
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youthy giblets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 12 at 21:34
Originally posted by donecan donecan wrote:

Surely must've been something proper wrong with the previous 2.5 if you felt it ran slower than the 1.9??

Bob, when you say "dint do owt else"...did their 88 have a cooler etc already on it? Or is it as simples as you say and they just rocked up and had it remapped?

Wether there was something "proper wrong" with my old 88 I don't no but had de-cat and pump timing checked etc and the 1.9td definitely went better.

A friend of mine had a 102 velle and that went ok could hold 80-90mph regardless of incline on motorway. My 88 always seemed hard work to keep at a constant cruise ie small climbs on motorway speed would drop a bit or you would end up giving it a foot full trying to keep a decent speed up using more fuel in the long run I guess. 1.9td used to seem happy to plod on all day without feeling like I was flogging it all the time.
solarboy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solarboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 12 at 12:16
I had a 1.9 td followed by a 2.5 88bhp and the 88 was definitely faster than the 1.9. I drove them both on very familiar routes. The 1.9 did "feel" more revvy but I timed them both. There's a huge list of things on a TDI that can cause them to lose boost gradually from dodgy turbo control pipes, intake pipe leaks, semi-blocked cats, bad N75 valve etc etc.

Edited by solarboy - 10 Aug 12 at 12:16
T4 2.5TDI builder wagon remapped to 117BHP.
also
T4 1.9TDI AHU Kombi

Bristol VRT double decker conversion.Donkey cart.
 Post Reply Post Reply