The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Loss of power on my T5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaminski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loss of power on my T5
    Posted: 24 Jul 12 at 23:26
Hi there can anyone help me?
h have just bought a T5 A few weeks ago and i was on my way home just going round a round-bout
i went to put on the power and there was nothing there i think it has gone in to limp mode
but does anyone know what the problem could be
the vw is on 2005
many thanks
mike
m.kaminski
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 12 at 23:41
What engine variant have you got?

Did turning it off and on take it out of limp mode?

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 12 at 02:05
Further to what he said ^

Was there a loud pop and then lots of black smoke ?

Is it normally driven gently and not revved over 2,200 rpm much ?
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 12 at 19:43
Time to be looking at the turbo hose. that big fucker at the top about 2" in diameter.

Quick fix is drill a hole where the spring clip goes top and bottom and shove a piece of stout wiredown through the slot for the clip and out the bottom to hold it in place and off to TPS for the newer upgraded verison.

The guy behind you would have shit his pants, one minute a van in front, the next a wall of black smoke and where to f**k that van gone, is it in the smoke screen, was it James Bond type van?
Berisford View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berisford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 12 at 09:36
In and out over a week ago, newbie asked his question but can't be bothered to listen to the answers.

We seem to get lots of these types.........

Oh, kaminski, if you do return, we've heard it all before, house burnt down, granny took the dogs pills, kid locked you in the shed, rat chewed through the modem cable, etc,etc......
Senate Square, Helsinki, 12 June 1993.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 12 at 10:00
^^  I can't figure it out, why bother asking the question if you can't be arsed to see the answer.  Makes some of the helpful regulars even more grumpy than they would normally be Wink
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 12 at 11:02
Someone grumpy on here, never!
Big T View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 12 at 13:42
Big T here just joined t'other day , same thing happened to me this am , T5 Transporter , I lost power on a roundabout , just cut out ! RAC man think egf valve ? i leave my work to the garage , cos am too old n fat to get down and UP !!  Now i came on to have a look at a water leak on T5 , so now i have two problems. and yes I am  a Taxi Driver b4 you tek the peeess , as if you brainy lot would ! ! Ah well , was or am taking the t5 to france next week, taking my girlfriend to limoges , her son lives there. So it's a long drive. just a bit put out now. bus done 183k at the moment i'm 2nd owner and it's been a gr8 bus for 60k . should i stay or should i go ? reading about the water pump's really putting me off !!    
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 12 at 13:57
Welcome aboard Big T.

Did your engine cut out completely, or just run with very reduced power until you switched off and on ?

As for water leak, yes the water pump is a pain, especially when they leak water into the sump (which many do).  It wouldn't be quite so bad if they leaked water out onto the ground (as they are intended to do), but most like to hang onto all fluids.

Until you resolve the water leak I'd be wary of taking your T5 for a long drive.

Also, can you please put some line breaks (paragraphs) in your posts ?  Makes it much easier to read and understand.
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 12 at 17:41
I am agree with the above, a run in France with a dodgy pump could end up costing you an engine! Get it fixed asap as the water in the oil can do a lot of damage.

Beware the power assist would be about ready to expire too.

If it is leaking, insist they degas and remove the ac compressor as bending it bad on the hoses buggers the hoses. Check your ac as soon as you get it back.

Did the wagon spew black smoke or just limp?
Big T View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 12 at 20:58
It just lost power b4 it went into limp mode. After i'd stopped and started her she then just cut out. never noticed any black smoke.

Anyhow i also have no t'internet at the mo , good owd talktalk.   

Now , shaun's stripped her down and the Turbo's blown , so that's way for re con . The water level is still the same as when I set off to leeds/bradford airport ? Mind boggles !  

Turbo promised for Friday afternoon   ( 4.30pm), so hopefully back on the road Sat afternoon.  However that's hopefully the 1st problem out of the way , and we can move forward . As for the leak everthing is dry , like you say it goes inside . I've printed off what you all said the other day , left it with Shaun. He's a good lad and no doubt will read it a few times.

T5 is a lovely beast to drive , and it's the first time anything's gone since I bought her.

The gates coupling's were changed around 120k and regassed so hopefully all well there !

Chhers T 
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 12 at 02:29
If the oil level is going up then it is likely the seals on the waterpump have failed and are allowing coolant to go in the sump.  The cure is a new waterpump.  A common fault in T5s, and especially on the earlier build 2.5l engines.
Big T View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 12 at 14:07
Cheers it's an 05 one , but does not seem as if any water is mixing with the oil . Mechanics have checked .

More news later sat when the Turbo is fitted , one job done , move on to the next !! 

Thanks for your help .  
Big T View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 12 at 11:30
Hi all , worked the T5 this weekend 400 miles driven , probably half a pint of water used.  Too much i reckon.  No pressure when taking the cap off , so a leak in there somewhere !

Good thing is my mate's lending me his nissan Tino , so at least France is still on , late but on !! 

Better than the T5 coming back on a low loader !! 

Cheers all   
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 12 at 09:07
Enjoy France, but don't spend too much the T5 will be waiting with it's hand out for some cash when you get back.

Have a good trip.
 Post Reply Post Reply