The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drive shaft

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 13 at 23:15
Originally posted by gason gason wrote:

Is there any cover that go over the drive shafts to protect them from crap off the road , my vw mechanic thinks there should be covers went to VW and they said there isnt anything 

They got cut  too in the value engineers visit, just like pad wear warning light on the T5.1's.

I did the front pads on our T5.1 on Saturday 40,000. The new pads came with the wire but the van has no were to connect it.

It must be a very expensive feature!

Even smart cars, minis, Skoda's and dare I mention the Korean's wagons get it but not VW any more!

What next floor coverings, wipers, seats?
ewoksbus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewoksbus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 13 at 12:04
How the hell can they cut corners like this when they are charging the earth for the product new !!! Both mine are in need of being done this week and I've stumped up for a pair of the jandr shafts as I've got a clonk when moving away and a tapping on right lock , disappointed as the van has 326000 and hasn't had a drive shaft yet ! I feel an email coming on ....
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 13 at 01:25
You only got 326,000 miles out of your OEM drive shafts !  That is disgraceful - I think you should start a public campaign for compensation.  Wink Wink Wink  

You might want to check out the splines on the short stub axle that comes out of the gearbox as well.  These often wear out with the drive shaft splines (particularly if they aren't well greased).

Edited by gregozedobe - 01 Apr 13 at 01:28
gason View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 13 at 00:16
well my mechanic was saying all the crap from the road can get  up to the drive shafts if they are not covered , maybe adding grease would be like a fly sticking to 5hit 
anilkumar89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anilkumar89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 13 at 11:44
my t5.1  needs another new stub shaft this one has lasted 40 kDisapprove is the stub shaft the same for 2.5 6speed and the 2.0 tdi 6 speed do i have to go to dealer again for the stub shaft
T5.1 transporter shuttle LWB 2.0 TDI 140
anilkumar89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anilkumar89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 13 at 15:13
i have found that the new t5.1s 140 use the 2.5 tdi stub and shaft apparently vw have updated the stub made it longer there's a picture on this thread http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=193931

Edited by anilkumar89 - 09 Jun 13 at 12:22
T5.1 transporter shuttle LWB 2.0 TDI 140
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 13 at 00:29
I'd love to know the real reason why the drive shaft issue and the steering clonks etc still occur now after ten years.  I really can't believe they just do this to sell lots of drive shafts.  Plenty of those sales are going to aftermarket suppliers now anyway.

And why do the failure mileages vary so much?   In my pic at the start of this thread you can see that mine was still ok at 70k, and could have made 100k plus.  And yet others don't make half of that.  It can't be that the splines weren't greased at the factory as has been suggested before, if it was as simple as that the T5.1's wouldn't be still suffering the same disease.  I don't think it can be poor quality metal either for the same reason.  As Anil says they have extended the length of the stub shaft, clearly to try and help the problem.  Well We'll see...

Good lubrication definitely does help.  It's only about an hour a side (max) to remove, check and lube the shafts.  I'd say it's well worth paying your local place to do it if getting oily isn't your thing.      
2004 2.5 174
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 13 at 09:53
As I said before with VW less for more cash espically in the T5.1's.

We lose T5's shafts around 80-100K, fair wear. I have had to have two shafts at 30K in the T5.1! Not fair wear!

Why they fail at different points, my thoughts are depending on what you are doing? We would always run half the payload on the wagons and can be pulling trailers up to 1.5 tons, but hey its a commerical vehicles I bought not a smart cars!

If you are doing a hill start in a 2.5 ton van with a 1.5 ton trailer on it the shaft doesn't look  that meaty to me for all that torque and effort?

I believe the value engineers have been hacking away at everything, they built a good rep with the T4 so now cut the crap out of every bit of the van and maximise the profit margin in sales and when it dies, give you the finger and rob you again for another sub standard part.

Do the 4 Motions suffer as badly with shafts? Anyone?

If the design was good why are they modifitying it now? Too many paper engineers and not enough oil handed engineers in the design process!
stinkyfinger1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stinkyfinger1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 13 at 09:28
A had to go back in to the steelers, because there was grease all over the hub. Their response was, '' because they had to be sure it was well lubricated, they lathered it with grease and it was this excess grease that was escaping and normally this should now settle down and there should be no more leakage''. Duhhhhhh, correct, or is this just a fob off? Any others had an experience like this?
bananaman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bananaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 13 at 22:45
This certainly sounds possible, as the dealer says if they have lathered the drive shaft in grease any excess grease will be forced out and will be sprayed all over the place. Best thing to do would be steam clean it and see if it keeps coming out in large quantities or whether it slows down or has stopped altogether. My hunch would be that they are actually telling the truth, which is good for you as it shows that they have taken the time to try and make the drive shaft last as long as possible!
T5 T32 SWB Kombi 130ps
Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 13 at 08:44
Originally posted by Alonline Alonline wrote:

Do the 4 Motions suffer as badly with shafts? Anyone?

I would also like to know how many are auto or manual, and also which hp.
I think some have failed even on the lower hp models, which is odd.

Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 13 at 10:53
I would have thought that driving style and traffic conditions would make much more difference than engine output.  

Given the leverage that gearing gives in first gear the torque of even the lowest powered engine is enough to stress the relatively small splines coming out of the gearbox.  

So lots of stop-start work and rapid take-offs from rest with a heavy load would cause much more strain than constant easy highway cruising.

Edited by gregozedobe - 11 Jul 13 at 10:55
Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 13 at 05:10
Originally posted by gregozedobe gregozedobe wrote:

Given the leverage that gearing gives in first gear the torque of even the lowest powered engine is enough to stress the relatively small splines coming out of the gearbox.  

If it is a design problem, and as the higher hp models output more torque, all the failures should be on the 174/180 variants, I would think.
Which they are not, which is odd.

Bigger wheels/wider tyres also put more load on driveshafts.This may also be a factor.

Edited by Rebuild - 12 Jul 13 at 05:13
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
s3swiss View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s3swiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 13 at 12:39
maybe lowering actually helps? If the standard ride height has the driveshaft at an angle from gearbox to hub, lowering might get the shaft nearer horizontal making it slide further onto the splied connections? I've no evidence for that, just a hunch. Maybe someone with experience of looking under lots of standard and lowered vans can correct me? I know on the Honda S2000 it is the reverse. If you lower the ride-height, you really need to fit spacers to the rear hubs to compensate as I think the S2000 driveshafts are the perfect length for the standard height.

CLONKY View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLONKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 13 at 16:23

[/QUOTE]

If it is a design problem, and as the higher hp models output more torque, all the failures should be on the 174/180 variants, I would think.
Which they are not, which is odd.

Bigger wheels/wider tyres also put more load on driveshafts.This may also be a factor.
[/QUOTE]

I think the 84/102 ps driveshafts are smaller, so that they are equally under engineered for the job in hand. When the driveshaft failed on my 174 in the "early days", i remember the technician at the dealers saying 174's are the worst,closely followed by 84's (rather than the 102's) although, unless you know what percentage of each model are on the road,its impossible to get a true picture.

If there wasnt an obsession for "sealed for life", a simple grease nipple could have been incorporated,which would have helped resolve this,and,quite possibly the clonk from the sliding part of the steering column if one was fitted,a problem which seems to have defeated VW for nearly a decade now. 
Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 13 at 05:27
Originally posted by CLONKY CLONKY wrote:

I think the 84/102 ps driveshafts are smaller

well that might explain it a bit.I was thinking they were all the same size
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12