The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drive shaft

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drive shaft
    Posted: 13 Jun 12 at 00:25
Took my offside drive shaft off today (70,000/8 years) and I was pleased to find it still had some grease on the splines.  It was just starting to dry out but still working. Smile

After I cleaned it up it looked like this-

If anyone else wasn't so lucky, both drive shafts and the stub shaft are now available at a fraction of the £400/£500 of the genuine VW parts.  It remains to be seen how good they are but I think at these prices I'd have risked it.  I'll check the other side tommorrow....Shocked 

These parts are for the 6 speed 2.5's only.

Edited by T5 TDI - 13 Jun 12 at 00:27
2004 2.5 174
CLONKY View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLONKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 12 at 09:08
If those driveshafts are any good they really are a bargain. If you assume that the seller is paying £40 ish, after they have travelled 1000's of miles to get here,it starts to remind me of things like Chinese bearings and how you can buy a pack of 10 for the price of 1 branded one.
 It says they are oem spec,but the shafts,certainly the inner one are smaller.Time will tell.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 12 at 11:25
Happily someone else is acting guinea pig for us!  Wink Pig

2004 2.5 174
The Loon View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Loon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 12 at 13:04
Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

I'll check the other side tommorrow....Shocked 

Don't waste your time. The other one is flanged and bolted. It'll be fine.
Justified Ancient of Mu Mu.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 12 at 13:41
Ah! Cheers Loon I didn't look.  I wasn't looking forward to it in this weather anyway! 

Flanged and bolted like the golfs?  Wait a minute I've just found a pic of the N/S-  It doesn't look like a flange type....  Confused

Edited by T5 TDI - 13 Jun 12 at 14:42
2004 2.5 174
The Loon View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Loon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 12 at 13:47
Ah, the 2.5 might be different but the 1.9's are flanged and bolted.
Justified Ancient of Mu Mu.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 12 at 17:52
Never got round to it anyway. Too wet today.
I've read about a few N/S ones going but does seem to be mostly the O/S that strips.
2004 2.5 174
anilkumar89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anilkumar89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 12 at 11:19
The drive shaft and stub have failed on my t5.1 2.0 tdi at 105 k so looks like the new t5s have these problems as well
T5.1 transporter shuttle LWB 2.0 TDI 140
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 12 at 20:50
Just got my van back a T5.1 two new drive shafts fitted at 31K.

Quality product or what!

Done under warranty.
downhiller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 12 at 16:42
I had my driveshaft and stub axle replaced at 60,000 miles for about £500 IIRC, at a VW main dealer.  I was told at the time that only VW make the part, so figured I may as well go to a main dealer to have it done.

So, yesterday, it went again!  At 100,000 miles, so only got 40,000 out of it.  I've taken it to a local independent this time, hopefully they'll have a cheaper price for me...

What was the second link in the original post, it doesn't seem to work any more?

And the first link appears to be for a £300 part on ebay, which isn't especially cheap, is it?

Thanks
Bog-standard poverty-spec 174ps T5 panel van (black, LWB)
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 12 at 18:46

Same link, same firm, different price! They were selling the shaft for £70 originally! Someone on the other forum actually bought one and reckoned it looked ok. The second link was for the stub shaft made by a different firm. I think it was cheaper than VW though. Strange your second one went so quickly. Your sig says bog standard- is that still the case?

Mine was still perfect at 70k (see above) but if I hadn't packed it out with new grease it would have gone sooner of later. I reckon it's worth checking every 40k or so. Not much help on yours though. Ouch
2004 2.5 174
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 12 at 18:54
Grease nipple would be worth fitting I reckon....and pump the thickest clag going in there now and then....
downhiller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 12 at 20:32
I was actually mistaken on the mileages, my first one went at 47k, the second at 98k.

I've found this cheap driveshaft (£70):

http://www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk/vw-transporter-t5-2-5-turbo-diesel-driveshaft-off-side-brand-new-03-onwards/

Thinner than the OEM ones though... but then it's the splines that go, not the shaft itself.

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/picture.php?albumid=9851&pictureid=60438

Any link for a cheap stub axle?  Though maybe the VW version is worth getting now it's been redesigned and made a bit longer?

Am I right in thinking the VW prices are about £300 for the shaft and £140 for the stub?
Bog-standard poverty-spec 174ps T5 panel van (black, LWB)
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 12 at 21:47
Same firm again and even looks like the same part as my link.  Confused  When I originally posted the link the price was similar to yours.  At a quick look around fleabay £130 is the cheapest price for the aftermarket stub shafts.  One bloke claims VW want £172.  Might be worth emailing http://www.bearingkits.co.uk/  They definately did list a stub shaft on their site before. 

Edited by T5 TDI - 22 Oct 12 at 21:47
2004 2.5 174
carbon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 12 at 15:47

I recently had the pleasure of this problem at 46,642 miles all the internal splines failed. Today I have been quoted £186 inc vat for the stub shaft. Only problem now seems that I have to wait until the end of Feb at the earliest to get a genuine replacement. Aftermarket looks like the only way to get my van back on the road again.

Chris
Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 12 at 19:36
Over 110k an mine are fine except for the garage that did the insurance work cocked up an put a pin hole in the right boot, Ive got a new one and will be replacing soon
God whispers in our soul & speaks to our heart. When we don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick.
It's our choice: Listen to the whisper or wait for the brick!
05 Shuttle SE 174 Auto LWB
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 12 at 20:51
Splines on mine were well greased and look good (late 2006 build, 66,000 miles).

Edited by gregozedobe - 29 Nov 12 at 20:51
stinkyfinger1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stinkyfinger1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 13 at 13:40
just had the pleasure of the wife having to put the 2004 2.5tdi minibus into the local stealers to get the R.H.S. drive axle and stub changed at 178321 kilometers, same prob as all you other guys, (splines). Looks like we done ok with the distance travelled, BUT!!!! it cost 7500 Danish kroner about 770 quid. That hurt the old pocket! It says on the bill, that economy parts have been fitted because it is quite a common part that needs to get changed, so VW thought it would be good to offer these new bits at a favorable price, WTF, a wonder wot the non economy parts would have cost!!??
The trick is, don't have yer drive bits goin peet tong in Denmark and gettin Mr. VW to fix them.
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 13 at 14:14
Originally posted by stinkyfinger1 stinkyfinger1 wrote:

just had the pleasure of the wife having to put the 2004 2.5tdi minibus into the local stealers to get the R.H.S. drive axle and stub changed at 178321 kilometers, same prob as all you other guys, (splines). Looks like we done ok with the distance travelled, BUT!!!! it cost 7500 Danish kroner about 770 quid. That hurt the old pocket! It says on the bill, that economy parts have been fitted because it is quite a common part that needs to get changed, so VW thought it would be good to offer these new bits at a favorable price, WTF, a wonder wot the non economy parts would have cost!!??
The trick is, don't have yer drive bits goin peet tong in Denmark and gettin Mr. VW to fix them.

Tut tut, that is not is a postive tone, let me rephrase..

You seem not to be enjoying the VW device fitted in your vehicle to let you enjoy the delights of the European VW support network. VW carefully craft these parts to insure you get to see all the waiting rooms and service centers.

Pherphas a machine vended hot choclate may sooth your nerves whilst VW plunders your wallet.

They fit DMF to protect the clutches, maybe they should make driveshafts to take the load and use some expensive stuff called grease on the splines?

Edited by Alonline - 25 Feb 13 at 14:15
gason View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 13 at 21:49
Is there any cover that go over the drive shafts to protect them from crap off the road , my vw mechanic thinks there should be covers went to VW and they said there isnt anything 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>