The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turbo on a 1y - advice please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thehosepipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turbo on a 1y - advice please
    Posted: 25 Mar 12 at 19:51
I'm hoping to turbo my 1y van. It's a standard 1y conversion so has the cs sump, 1y oil pump with cs oil pickup, and the 1y fuel pump. The engine is marked t/td to it should be good to take a turbo. It's on a 5 speed box so gearbox is good for it.

I know it's been done, hoping someone here knows how. So far at this early stage i have the following questions.

1 can I use an aaz turbo or should i source a jx one?

2 as for 1 for the inlet and exhaust manifolds. Presumably aaz ones would need some panel bashing but how much? Better to stick js?

3 is the sump from the cs suitable or do I need a jx one? If so why?

I'm sure there are even more important questions I don't even know to ask. Any help, knowledge and advice appreciated. I've tried searching but so far turned up little. Also any parts that are available id be happy to make an offer. I'm in no hurry so happy to slowly collect parts till I have everything.

Thanks as ever chaps and chapesses

Al
mind that milk float!
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 12 at 19:57
it will take a turbo without any major issues. a sump oil return fitting will be needed ( see b/w shop above) a JX turbo will be easyer but some AAZ ones are usable also with a few mods here and there. no panel mods are needed!
thehosepipe View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thehosepipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 12 at 20:26
So easiest option being a jx turbo, inlet and exhaust manifolds? The oil return can be added to existing sump. What about fuel pump, can the 1y one be used (I'm guessing not) or would an aaz pump make more sense?
mind that milk float!
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 12 at 20:57
You can use the 1y pump but you will not get the same driveability or power ,you would be better of getting a aaz/gtd pump preferably a early one if you are looking at the aaz pump or a R enault espace pump from a 2.1 td which will give better performance than the aaz and for ease of fitting the gtd will give similar performance to the espace 2.1 but there are different pump mounting brackets used on the 1y pump`s ,the same can be said for aaz pump`s
If you have a one piece pump pulley on your 1y you will need a ,aaz pump with a one piece pulley or the pump and bracket if the aaz pump has a two piece pulley ,the espace pump is a straight fit if you have a one piece pulley but will need a bit of fucking about if you have a two piece pulley 
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thehosepipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 12 at 21:08
Thanks guys!

What is the gtd pump, I've seen this referred to a few places?

I'm thinking pumps are easy to get hold of from a breaker. Sourcing a jx turbo and manifolds not so much. Any thoughts?

So perhaps I should start by getting the turbo on, leaving my 1y pump in place as it's a good one. Drive it for a little while to check everything is ok on the turbo side, then change the pump to benefit from the extra power.
mind that milk float!
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 12 at 21:20
GTD pump = golf GTD but they used the same type off pump on sb coded engined passat`s
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thehosepipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 12 at 21:24
Thanks man!
mind that milk float!
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 12 at 22:32
but....a sb pump may not bolt onto a 1y without a sutible bracket. 
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thehosepipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 12 at 07:29
So for ease I will go french filth or gtd then. Thanks guys.

Regarding aaz vs jx turbos. I reckon an aaz turbo is easier to get hold of, but do you think ease of getting replacement parts over the medium term is a good enough reason to go that way rather than a likely older jx turbo?
mind that milk float!
rolo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 12 at 07:43
Bear in mind that the aaz has different pistons (and rods) to the 1y so resist the urge to turn up pump and turbo.
the last one
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thehosepipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 12 at 07:51
Lmao!, Just saw the little edit!

Thanks for the warning rolo. I'm mindful of the lighter internals. Was aiming for no more than maybe 80 horses. Whatever the standard turbo and gtd (or French!) pump will provide as standard.

Bear in mind it's a camper we use for long distances so reliability and fuel efficiency is worth more to me than power, though I do salivate over the scooby powered monsters.
mind that milk float!
Shortrope View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 12 at 16:08
Hey Hosepipe, how're getting on with the 1Y Turboing??
I'm wanting to do the same so very interested in how you get on!!
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thehosepipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 12 at 16:33
Sadly I didn't go ahead. Ended up buying a t4 as the wife couldnt drive the t3.
mind that milk float!
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 12 at 09:21
What makes a T4 any better to drive than a T3.
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thehosepipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 12 at 09:27
In this case, better rear view mirrors, much easier gearbox (less notchy), power steering, much faster and not left hand drive.

I'm quite happy with the T3 myself but I admit the T4 is a much smoother and easier proposition. Since its we daily drive she needs to be happy.
mind that milk float!
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thehosepipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 12 at 09:28
Her daily drive I mean.
mind that milk float!
 Post Reply Post Reply