The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

how does front grill and radiator come off?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stinkyfinger1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how does front grill and radiator come off?
    Posted: 15 Mar 12 at 08:21
Had a KCR tuning thingy fitted to the PD connection on the front of the block, and it worked a treat, more pull and more MPG when not needing to pull, anyway, it buggered up and when the mechies were taking it off, they broke the bits inside the block. The tuning thingy did not get refitted just in case they broke the bits again, since then there has been a wee weep of oil coming from that area. How the f--k does the front grill and radiator come off, so that I can get access to fix the leak and see about re-connecting the tuning gizmo. I believe that on the T4 it was hinged and with the removal of a couple of bolts the front could be tilted down and whoopty you were there. Is it the same with the T5??? or what???
Cheers   
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 12 at 12:42
Unfortunately it is a bit more complex on T5s.  There's loads of bolts and fittings everywhere (including inside the front guards) and you have to take the whole front panel/bumper off (after first removing all the sub-panels).

If you do a search or have a look in the T5 Modifications sub-forum there might be a how-to, maybe even one with photos if you are lucky. 
stinkyfinger1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stinkyfinger1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 12 at 10:30
oh well, looks like it's going to be one of these bummer jobs. Nothing in the T5 mods. sub-forum, so ahl just have to struggle.
cheers.
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 12 at 10:44
Originally posted by stinkyfinger1 stinkyfinger1 wrote:

Nothing in the T5 mods. sub-forum, so ahl just have to struggle.
cheers.

There is.

Look for Mr Hedgehogs Caravelle light thread as it shows where all the fixings are.

Also if you Google vw t5 radiator grille removal you will find plenty of "how to" info.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stinkyfinger1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 12 at 06:54
oh well looks like thats this weekends other pleasures cancelled, now that youve given me a hint on how to do the grill removal.

have a good one and thanks for the hints/tips
northcountryboy View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northcountryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 12 at 21:55
The fixing that people strugle to find are a couple of studs behind the plastic wheel arch liners. Take out the torx screws and carefully pry the plastic liner away fron the edge of the wing. Look into the void and there are 2 stds on each side. You will need a long extension bar and a dep 10mm socket to get on them.
The other sneaky fixings are hidden behind the bumper inset pannels. The bits that look like seperate mouldings. Again these can be carefully levered away with out damage. Gently does it! Behind them are some more torx or 10mm head bolts.
From memory I have a feeling there are also some behind the head lights!

Its not as bad as it sounds but have some good torx bits ready b4 you start.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stinkyfinger1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 12 at 22:17
Well eff me, bring back the T4. talk about reserving the right to improve and make things better!
Johnhayesuk View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnhayesuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 16 at 08:46
Hello everyone...... Ok it's time to change the rad on my 2008 T5 , not bought yet, can anyone give me some advice, where best to buy,, how easy to do job outside my house, how much fluid, general advise please thanks
John
John
 Post Reply Post Reply