The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wheels that fit double axle..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miketheaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wheels that fit double axle..
    Posted: 21 Feb 12 at 09:37
  Like many older lt 35 and 45td owners  I want to add larger wheels to change the ratio. I am screaming the engine at 50 and want to do long distance to Spain without blowing up! Does any one know what choice I have for my double wheel axle, in terms of increase ratio? seems to be plenty of power there, just bad gearing for a camper that carries no real weight. Are they the same stud as the single wheel? If so I'm looking at tranny wheels too I guess?
Thanks
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 12 at 10:54
Aren't they 6 stud?
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
miketheaxe View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miketheaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 12 at 11:10
Damn, easy question, but I'm not with the vehicle I'm pretty sure they are 6 stud though.. does that mean I can't fit any other wheels Unhappy cheers
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 12 at 11:53
Not necessarily, but most of the advice on this forum is for the single rear wheel LTs. The LT50s were fitted with a larger wheel, but not sure what size without my handbook. They are 6 stud but don't know if the same PCD.
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miketheaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 12 at 12:24
Thanks, I measured the rims, they're 15.. do you know what sort of difference it would make with 16's .. or even 17's, I  have no idea of the effect of ratio's in this way.
cheers
mike

Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miketheaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 12 at 12:41
Sorry, are you saying the lt 50 had larger wheels than the lt 45? that WOULD be interesting...
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 12 at 15:16
Not sure what the LT45 had - is that what you have? I assumed (maybe wrongly) you had a twin rear wheel LT35, which originally had 14" wheels. Will check in my book tonight, but believe that a number of sizes were fitted.
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miketheaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 12 at 15:26
Thanks a lot, I just bought the lt45td and always had classic range rovers prior to this... quite exciting! There looks to be ample room to put bigger wheels on in terms of the body. I'll sort my profile so I explain what I have, but for now.. I have a 86 lt 45 td camper with twin rear axle and 15 inch rims on. I think I need to try the biggest wheels I can fit.. surely it shouldn't rev this hard at 50!
Thumbs Down
THanks so much for your help
Thumbs Up
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 12 at 00:06
Finally remembered to check the owner's manual (1993)! Strangely this doesn't list a 15" wheel for any of the LT models, but for the LT 45 lists 195 R 14 C with the option of 195 R 16 C. LT 50s had the same choice but the LT 55 only had the 16" wheels.
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 12 at 13:01
Originally posted by miketheaxe miketheaxe wrote:

Thanks, I measured the rims, they're 15..
cheers
mike

dare I ask where you measured the rims? the wheel diameter is measured across the bottom of the well of the wheel not across the bit you can see outside the tyre, easiest way is to read what it says on the tyre that's fitted eg 185x14 = 14" wheel, the easiest way to increase the gearing is to fit bigger tyres, your problem with a twin wheeler is how wide can you go without the twins rubbing together on the back, e.g. 185x14 tyre is 651.6mm (25.65") rolling diameter, a 215x14 tyre is 699.6mm (27.54") dia (both being standard 80 ratio), this alone would increase your gearing by approx 7.5%, I used to run my old LT35 (single wheel) on 215x14s without any problem, but obviously the 215 tyre is 30mm (1.18") wider which would reduce the gap between the rear tyres on a twin wheeler by the same amount (unless you used a spacer between the wheels), by the way the standard single wheels are 6jx 14" and 5 x 160mm stud pattern with a 51mm offset and the standard twin wheels are 5.5j (I think)x14" and 6 x 205mm stud pattern with 120mm offset.

«« Previous illustration Return to group list Next illustration »»
< style="left: 0px; top: 0px; : ;" id="aswift_1" height="60" marginHeight="0" Border="0" width="468" allowTransparency="" name="aswift_1" marginWidth="0" scrolling="no">
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miketheaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 12 at 17:12
Glad you dared ask .! they must be 14's then ;)
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miketheaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 12 at 17:15
PS very comprehensive reply, thank you.  Star 
vwcrisis View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vwcrisis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 12 at 23:38
hi, i have an lt 35td recovery truck, was a curtain sider when i got it, it will do 80 with a car on the back and happily cruise at 70. iv spoken to a couple of friends that have had the same truck, tds and non tds and they cant believe how fast mine is as theirs only liked it at 50, as far as i know its standard and has 14 inch wheels with 185 tyres, anyway, the reason i saw this is because i was going to put fatter tyres on the back because first gear is too quick and second is too much to pull off in, in a different truck i had a while back i changed the tyres and it made a good difference, maybe around 10mph top end
vwcrisis View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vwcrisis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 12 at 23:42
forgot to say its a 96, last of the bricks
mcbkat View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcbkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 12 at 08:22
6 stud pcd is 205, same as many Mercedes (508/608 etc.) MB has also 16" wheels.
Or Unimog 18", or 20" LOL

Stefan
De Vries LT45 4X4, De Vries LT40 4x4
mcbkat View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcbkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 12 at 08:23
De Vries LT45 4X4, De Vries LT40 4x4
lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 13 at 14:40
Hi all,just seen this post thanks for all the great info re pcd etc.Did  i see somewhere before on here that transit and land rover were same ? If so which of these had wheel trims/doughnuts so i can fit to my 45 and 55 thanks.
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
coyotl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 17 at 00:21
I'm looking at a 1976 LT 35 camping van.

Read a wiki that says it has 5 bolt circle, but the pics in the ad clearly show 6.

Did the first models come with both 5 and 6?

The car is registred for 14 inch wheels but has 6 bolts on front wheel -cant see back wheels on pics.

But 6 bolt rims should be 16 - Confused ????????????????????
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 17 at 11:24
LT1's came in 2 variants LT28 LT31 and LT35E came with coil spring front suspension and a single wheel back axle and used a 5 stud wheel with 5x160 pcd pattern (the numbers relate to their gross weight capacity eg 2.8, 3.1, and 3.5 tonne). the LT40, LT55 came with a front beam axle and leaf springs and a twin wheel back axle due to their greater gross weight capacity and used a 6 stud wheel with 6x205 pcd pattern, hope this removes your confusion. Thumbs Up

NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
coyotl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 17 at 21:28
No really.. this car is no doubt an LT 35

https://www.vegvesen.no/Kjoretoy/Kjop%2Bog%2Bsalg/Kj%C3%B8ret%C3%B8yopplysninger?registreringsnummer=KT%2027157

total weight 3500 kg

tyres front and back  185R 14C

--but has 6 bolt 6x205 pcd  Ouch
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>