The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lt engine compartment noise insulation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
terryw1352 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terryw1352 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lt engine compartment noise insulation
    Posted: 18 Feb 12 at 08:44
Hi anyone managed to quieten the somewhat noisy vw lt 2.5 5 cylinder engine? I have a 99 self built camper and it's brill but I would like to be able to hold a conversation with the folks in the back , so has anyone had a go at this ? Cheers Terry
volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 12 at 14:09
I don't have any direct experience but from photo's of peoples interiors a few members have put carpet over their engine covers.  You could may be do this with a slightly thicker carpet plus put extra sound proofing under the underside of the engine cover?  Also you could put extra insultaion under the plastic flooring.

1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 12 at 15:29
Companies like frost.co.uk sell sound proofing with heat protective film, as well as pads to reduce vibration. Well worth doing but it would proably cost in the region of £100 for the engine bay.

My old bus needs re-doing as the insulation is starting to peel, but it's been there for 30 years.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terryw1352 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 12 at 22:21
Many thanks for the ideas it's started the ball rolling and given me some useful possibilities . I had looked at the inside of the engine compartment and this already has insulation but the idea of putting insulation inside is something to consider as the van already has the usual carpeted Walls Maybe I can insulate behind the dash as well .
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 12 at 00:09
Don't be tempted to put any of the cheap sound deadening pads close to anywhere it gets hot from the engine - they might melt (or even worse, catch fire).  

Try rapping the larger flattish metal areas with your knuckle or a small hammer - if they "ring" then that is a good spot for a sound deadening pad.  If they just give a dull thud then you may not get a big improvement in that exact spot.
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terryw1352 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 12 at 09:32
Thanks your advice makes good sense will try not to set fire to my beloved camper! Cheers terry
psion View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 12 at 16:17
I have a VW rubber cover for the engine cover but fear it might not fit yours as from a 1990 LT
volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 12 at 18:42
What engine is it for?  I might be interested if terryw1352 isn't.
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
psion View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 12 at 19:16
Hi

Its the 2.4TD, will post here if terryw1352 is not interested
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terryw1352 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 12 at 15:10
Thanks for the offer of the rubber cover but mines a 99 lt (sprinter) shape cheers terry
danman10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danman10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 19 at 10:17
Sending a pm. Interested in which engine this would fit.
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 19 at 15:06
 This thread's 7 years old.
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
 Post Reply Post Reply