Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Audi A4 Passat gear box install

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 16>
Author
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 12 at 16:49
Originally posted by T3 Nev T3 Nev wrote:

Would love to do a Audi gearbox job on my SA as it's screaming it's head off at 4000 rpm, cruising at 75mph (120kph) which causes a severe drinking problem 20 miles/gal if I'am lucky! Would a Audi 90 2.3 5 cyl gearbox work with your magic plate set up?
Why not recon the trans with a 7/29 cw/p set for a 10% gearing increase Nev? My 2.6 does 75 at 3800 and sounds sweet, returned about 26 mpg using 98 RON on the Autobahns and Autoroutes even on the standard 7/32 cw/p. But that was with fresh 205/65/15C tyres so probably a lot less rolling resistance than with wider tyres?
Have I missed anything?
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 12 at 17:50
Have thought about going that route but with our power up mods afraid standard box is'nt going to copeWink
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 12 at 19:07
Today I finished the gear box front mount and the gear linkage.
I can now select all gears from the cab via a std 5 speed gear stick.

I am looking at getting the mount and gear linkage parts laser cut. Once this is done I will have a better idea on cost.

Thanks all for your interest.

Tim.
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
redi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 12 at 00:22
That's really nice. I'm also very interrested about swapping passat gearbox to my van.
They're easy to get and ratios are so much better. I think it's way cheaper than to buy 5 speed T3 gearbox, then buy new diff, bearings and maybe longer 5th gear. Then get someone to fit them into your gearbox
I'm running aaz with 1.6d gearbox and my top speed is 100kmh (62mph) and the engine just doesn't take any more revs.
Iceworx View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceworx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 12 at 18:20
Im the same Redi.

Soon as Tim finishes this kit off, i'll be taking one :)
T5 130 LWB 2.5 TDi - Becoming a camper
T5 Camper Build Blog
redi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 12 at 00:05
I think the only problem is that my van is so low that I may have to cut the frame a bit with passat/audi gearbox to fit the drive shafts.

How much higher the axles really are with this mod?
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 12 at 14:32
Almost there.

A few small items to sort out before the engine goes in for the last time.

Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 12 at 14:38
Originally posted by redi redi wrote:

I think the only problem is that my van is so low that I may have to cut the frame a bit with passat/audi gearbox to fit the drive shafts.

How much higher the axles really are with this mod?

I guess that it will be more accurate for me to measure down from the boot floor to give you a measurement. As not all vans will be the same height from the ground.

I need to get the engine and gearbox back into the bus before I can do this.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
jc_geddes View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc_geddes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 12 at 18:31
Come on Tim can we have more pictures???

Hows the gearshift? and the pattern you have ended up with?
ronnus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 12 at 22:06
Hello Tim,

I follow jour post with a lot of interrest.
I have a AFN of a seat ibiza with a 220 mm Luke clutch, wil this configuration also fit the audi/passat gearbox or do i need a 228 mm clutch?

regards
ron vegter

the netherlands
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 12 at 08:43
Originally posted by ronnus ronnus wrote:

Hello Tim,

I follow jour post with a lot of interrest.
I have a AFN of a seat ibiza with a 220 mm Luke clutch, wil this configuration also fit the audi/passat gearbox or do i need a 228 mm clutch?

regards
ron vegter

the netherlands

You may need to check that the starter ring gear is fitted on the engine block side of the fly wheel and not on the clutch cover side.

Best option is to use the Passat clutch and flywheel that belong with this gear box.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 12 at 08:52
Originally posted by jc_geddes jc_geddes wrote:

Hows the gearshift? and the pattern you have ended up with?

The gear shift is untested on the road so far, so time will tell.

Shift pattern

1 3 5
2 4 R

as per the Audi A4 gear box.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
VWlewis View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VWlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 12 at 09:54
Tim - An interesting project as many have already said!  I don't want to pour cold "oil" on your ideas but I was wondering when you "invert" the gearbox, how do you ensure the oil flow around the gears is maintained as it is designed to get the oil to the right places when the gearbox is in the normal position?

Lewis
Dr. T15 - Took test in a T2, drove a T1, T4, T5 and now run a T3 - and I am not Tee'd off
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 12 at 19:14
Originally posted by VWlewis VWlewis wrote:

Tim - An interesting project as many have already said!  I don't want to pour cold "oil" on your ideas but I was wondering when you "invert" the gearbox, how do you ensure the oil flow around the gears is maintained as it is designed to get the oil to the right places when the gearbox is in the normal position?

Lewis

The practice of running the gear box upside down is not my idea and it has been done before without gearbox issues.

As all gears are splash fed from the shafts as they rotate in a bath of oil, there is no reason that the oil will not be able to supply lubrication to all areas in need.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
VWlewis View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VWlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 12 at 19:26
OK Tim - I know some cars use positive pumped lubrication but I bow to your experience with these gearboxes. Star   However isn't there a breather that needs to be relocated as this is usually at the top of the gearbox?

PS - not trying to be a know all here or catch you out! LOL I have worked on gearbox design so just wanted to check a few things to make sure I understand how this works (turning a gearbox upside down is not the usual thing done in the automotive world!!

Edited by VWlewis - 09 Jul 12 at 19:30
Dr. T15 - Took test in a T2, drove a T1, T4, T5 and now run a T3 - and I am not Tee'd off
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 12 at 19:38
Originally posted by VWlewis VWlewis wrote:

Lewis

Original Quattro boxes were OE ones fitted upside down.

Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 12 at 22:03
VW beetle boxes have been ran upside down on race cars for years.

You are right there is a breather which is now at the bottom of the box and a new one is added to the new top of the box.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
BUS.BOY View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BUS.BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 12 at 00:02
Here's a few pic's of my box fitted last year

The black rubber hose you see on the box was the breather but is now blocked off

the pipe you see in this below picture is the breather   It use to be the drain bung but is now on the top

************bristol t3 racers************
VWlewis View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VWlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 12 at 12:53
Nice job and it answered my other question about how you drain the oil in future!Smile
passatpd130 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passatpd130 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 12 at 23:21
vw say the 6spd box is sealed for life no need to change the oil lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 16>